THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M performance exhaust vs Dinan midpipe

11-29-2017, 07:06 PM   #23
UK2LA
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjpgolf1 View Post
Can anyone confirm if they have run the Dinan mid pipe on the f23 M240i convertible.
I would like to know this too!!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 10:31 AM   #24
VIN240i13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2LA View Post
I would like to know this too!!
Make that three of us...
BMW CCA #535395
SCCA #619713
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 05:09 PM   #25
Dangersnert
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xdrive cabriolet

I just ordered the DINAN mid pipe and exhaust for my 2017 M240i Xdrive cabriolet. I’ve been told the stock exhaust part numbers are identical for the F22 and F23.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 09:20 PM   #26
Scadam
FakeM2
Rep
Drives: Bmw M240I

2017 M240I / M Performance Exhaust / Dinan Midpipe / Dinan CAI/ Akrapovic Downpipe / Dinan Stage 1 / Dinmann Front Splitter / Dinmann Rear Diffuser / M-Performance Steering Wheel / M-Performance Carbon & Alcantara Interior
Appreciate 2
      04-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #27
F22_Matt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i

Just had the Dinan midpipe installed yesterday with the stock exhaust. It's exactly what I hoped for, car sounds much meaner in Sport mode while comfort is only slightly louder than before. Way more throaty and gurggly but well short of obnoxiously loud. For budget conscious owners this is a simple and effective mod. Recommended.
Appreciate 1
Scadam245.50
      05-15-2018, 02:54 PM   #28
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

I currently have the M Performance exhaust and the Stage 1 Dinan tune.

Besides sound does adding the mid pipe do anything for performance?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 10:28 PM   #29
Scadam
FakeM2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
I currently have the M Performance exhaust and the Stage 1 Dinan tune.

Besides sound does adding the mid pipe do anything for performance?
Free flowing exhaust. I put the DINAN mid pipe with my mpe and although there are not crazy gains I feel like it allows the car to exhale a little better.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 01:54 AM   #30
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

Are there any warranty concerns with the mid pipe installed? would they really make a big deal of it?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 05:02 AM   #31
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlzor View Post
Are there any warranty concerns with the mid pipe installed? would they really make a big deal of it?
Dinan mid-pipe does not affect the warranty at all.
Mine was encouraged, then purchased, and installed through the dealer, ......... on a lease, so long as I can bring the vehicle back to stock form, which I have the original mid/exhaust in my basement, all is well, ....... and the sound is AMAZING!
kohlzor46.50
      07-21-2018, 05:23 PM   #32
1/2M
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHeinz View Post
Not sure if you saw my post in another thread. I just had the Dinan midpipe installed last week. Much cheaper than the MPE and I love the sound better. It's kind of like taking ear plugs out and finally hearing the real exhaust. It was always there, just much quieter. Pops and burbles are much louder and more crisp. Start up is enough to wake the wife in the morning, but I'm hoping she gets used to it. Haha.

I'm torn between getting the Dinan exhaust next or going with the stage 1 tuner. I heard the full Dinan exhaust in person at a local car show. It sounded really good, but I wanted to get just the midpipe first to see how I liked this improvement first before spending $1399 more when I might be just as happy without the full exhaust.

I kind of like the idea of making this car a stock looking sleeper, and just doing the midpipe keeps the stock look but turns plenty of heads with the sound.

Cold start up clip.

A few revs once warmed up. Music to my ears.

Hi
Does the mid pipe affect the warranty or is compliant?

Looks like someone answered that question ...

Last edited by 1/2M; 07-21-2018 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 06:38 PM   #33
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHeinz View Post
Not sure if you saw my post in another thread. I just had the Dinan midpipe installed last week. Much cheaper than the MPE and I love the sound better. It's kind of like taking ear plugs out and finally hearing the real exhaust. It was always there, just much quieter. Pops and burbles are much louder and more crisp. Start up is enough to wake the wife in the morning, but I'm hoping she gets used to it. Haha.

I'm torn between getting the Dinan exhaust next or going with the stage 1 tuner. I heard the full Dinan exhaust in person at a local car show. It sounded really good, but I wanted to get just the midpipe first to see how I liked this improvement first before spending $1399 more when I might be just as happy without the full exhaust.

I kind of like the idea of making this car a stock looking sleeper, and just doing the midpipe keeps the stock look but turns plenty of heads with the sound.

Cold start up clip.

A few revs once warmed up. Music to my ears.

Hi
Does the mid pipe affect the warranty or is compliant?

Looks like someone answered that question ...
No warranty issue at all. It's a sound modification, and not really a performance modification. Dealer installed mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #34
EM240
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 LCI; 17 M240ix; '19 Taco

Anyone else running this setup? I’m dangerously close to pulling the trigger on MPE+dinan midpipe instead of Remus non res catback but I’d love to see more videos or hear it in person (I live in Boston area but would be willing to drive a couple hours)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 08:34 AM   #35
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by havinfun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbruin108 View Post
I think I've talked about this before on another thread but here is my take. M performance alone was great on startup but after that, it wasn't anything too special. Too quiet for my taste. The Dinan midpipe on stock was quieter than M performance and but the open throttle sound did sound pretty decent but a little "tin canny or raspy." Hard to describe. No drone on either of them. If I had to choose, I'd stick with M performance for sound over Dinan midpipe.

However, with both M performance and Dinan, it is music to my ears. Loud on startup and grumbles like a muscle car when just driving in first gear at the onset. It sounds awesome on open throttle and NO DRONE. I would never go back. It is perfect with both in my opinion. Just a pain in the butt to get them to go on together as the inlet of the dinan and outlet of M performance are the same 3". Damn Dinan for making it hard for us!

Get both!
It seems to me that another alternative is to keep the stock midpipe but do a resonator delete (probably just the front resonator based on feedback in another thread which reported that deleting only the second resonator resulted in no sound improvement but both resonators deleted got similar sound to the Dinan midpipe) and then add on the M performance exhaust to slightly lower the pitch of the exhaust. This method maintains the stock diameter interface to the muffler so the MPE mounts in the standard fashion and avoids the problem of interfacing the MPE to the Dinan midpipe. So far, I don't believe anyone has reported implementing this option.

By the way, one of the videos for the 2018 M240 states that a "new feature" is a resonator delete to improve the exhaust sound (not confirmed by BMW Genius). I will report on that when my 2018 M240 arrives in a few days.
did you ever find out if this would work?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 02:16 PM   #36
Aktuarrgh
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240i Coupe

Hey guys, first time poster here. Had a shop install the Dinan midpipe a few weeks ago for $125 and the sound has been absolutely fantastic.

Lately, I started to notice a metallic rattle on cold start, especially after I leave the car in the garage for the night. It goes away after a few seconds though. Also, during my drives, I started to notice one or two consecutive squeaks coming from perhaps underneath the car whenever I slow down or release the throttle. It's quite annoying...

Taking my car to the shop next Monday and see what's behind this. Perhaps since it's getting cold, something has moved and caused the noise.
Appreciate 1
Scadam245.50
      11-04-2018, 06:11 PM   #37
Scadam
FakeM2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktuarrgh View Post
Hey guys, first time poster here. Had a shop install the Dinan midpipe a few weeks ago for $125 and the sound has been absolutely fantastic.

Lately, I started to notice a metallic rattle on cold start, especially after I leave the car in the garage for the night. It goes away after a few seconds though. Also, during my drives, I started to notice one or two consecutive squeaks coming from perhaps underneath the car whenever I slow down or release the throttle. It's quite annoying...

Taking my car to the shop next Monday and see what's behind this. Perhaps since it's getting cold, something has moved and caused the noise.
More than likely the midpipe is sitting on the crossmember. This happen to mine , nothing a few washers for added as a spacer couldn’t fix.
2017 M240I / M Performance Exhaust / Dinan Midpipe / Dinan CAI/ Akrapovic Downpipe / Dinan Stage 1 / Dinmann Front Splitter / Dinmann Rear Diffuser / M-Performance Steering Wheel / M-Performance Carbon & Alcantara Interior
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 01:24 PM   #38
skeeedunt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbruin108 View Post
I think I've talked about this before on another thread but here is my take. M performance alone was great on startup but after that, it wasn't anything too special. Too quiet for my taste. The Dinan midpipe on stock was quieter than M performance and but the open throttle sound did sound pretty decent but a little "tin canny or raspy." Hard to describe. No drone on either of them. If I had to choose, I'd stick with M performance for sound over Dinan midpipe.
Considering both of these right now. From watching YouTube vids, I got the impression that the downpipe was louder than the MPE, but maybe that’s not the case?

I’d like to get more sound inside the cabin, but it sounds like that’s almost a futile effort. The thing I liked about the MPE is that it seemed to add more bass and richness. Again that’s mostly from YouTube, which makes it tough to compare. Wondering if I’m better off with the MPE to improve what little sound I do get.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 05:26 PM   #39
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeedunt View Post
I’d like to get more sound inside the cabin, but it sounds like that’s almost a futile effort. The thing I liked about the MPE is that it seemed to add more bass and richness. Again that’s mostly from YouTube, which makes it tough to compare. Wondering if I’m better off with the MPE to improve what little sound I do get.
Hey here's an idea. What if someone came up with a system where you pumped engine sounds through the speakers inside?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 01:12 PM   #40
skeeedunt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
Hey here's an idea. What if someone came up with a system where you pumped engine sounds through the speakers inside?
I really don't mind the ASD during acceleration or around town, but the drone on the freeway kills me. I'm sure the programming will get smarter over time.
Appreciate 0