THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Amp preventing BMW software upgrade

06-11-2020, 09:54 PM   #1
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

Amp preventing BMW software upgrade

Installed Bavsound's speakers, subwoofers and amp in my 2020 M240i. Nice sound.

I took the vehicle in for the one year service recently. Part of the service was installing updated engine management software. They were not able to update the software because of an inability to communicate with the amplifier.

Bavsound's solution is to reattach the original amplifier every time I take the car in for service. Then, reattach the Bavsound amp. Seems like a PIA.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 08:58 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Modern cars are so electronically sophisticated. All of the modules are inter-connected.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 09:43 AM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

There's no option, the CAN BUS lives in your factory amp so it must be installed for updates. Sucks but no way around it.

Bavsound / BimmerTech / anyone else you'd source an amp from does a BS crap job of explaining any of this. In fact they are all silent on the matter unless it has changed since I last looked. I went so far as to reach out to the founder of Bavsound to discuss the issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 02:34 PM   #4
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
There's no option, the CAN BUS lives in your factory amp so it must be installed for updates. Sucks but no way around it.

Bavsound / BimmerTech / anyone else you'd source an amp from does a BS crap job of explaining any of this. In fact they are all silent on the matter unless it has changed since I last looked. I went so far as to reach out to the founder of Bavsound to discuss the issue.
Thanks. I don't recall seeing this on any of their advertising ahead of purchasing or after. Not sure I would have bothered with the amp if I had known ahead of time.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 03:10 PM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMc View Post
Thanks. I don't recall seeing this on any of their advertising ahead of purchasing or after. Not sure I would have bothered with the amp if I had known ahead of time.
The messed up thing is there's a relatively simple solution. With another $10 in materials to add one more connector and a few wires to their harness, you can install theirs for audio and keep your stock one installed for CAN BUS. My F31 I have them both installed, the stock one is literally stuck on top of the Bavsound one with Velcro and a couple of spacers. I sent Micah the wiring diagram, maybe they'll address the issue at some point in the future.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 09:27 PM   #6
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The messed up thing is there's a relatively simple solution. With another $10 in materials to add one more connector and a few wires to their harness, you can install theirs for audio and keep your stock one installed for CAN BUS. My F31 I have them both installed, the stock one is literally stuck on top of the Bavsound one with Velcro and a couple of spacers. I sent Micah the wiring diagram, maybe they'll address the issue at some point in the future.
Thanks!

This information makes it even more frustrating. Seems like Bavsound could have offered an option for those who were willing to pay a little more for the ability to not have to swap and swap back.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 11:25 PM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMc View Post
Quote:
Thanks!

This information makes it even more frustrating. Seems like Bavsound could have offered an option for those who were willing to pay a little more for the ability to not have to swap and swap back.
To be fair I don't know that they realized the issue then made a cost cutting decision. It's not even their amp. That said now that they're aware of it, addressing it or not is up to them.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 02:08 PM   #8
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Quote:
To be fair I don't know that they realized the issue then made a cost cutting decision. It's not even their amp. That said now that they're aware of it, addressing it or not is up to them.

There were threads about this issue easily 2+ years ago. As others have said, they did a crap job explaining it because odds are if people knew about it, it would be one more thing to make them reconsider doing the upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 09:46 PM   #9
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

The integration of the amplifier is anti-competitive, not sure how they get to continue this practice here in the U.S.

That Right to Repair or work on your own property is a novel approach (Massachusetts)...

Anyways, but yes, read about the splitter and keeping the original amp for this very purpose (service/updates). As an aside, it's nice too because they then aren't making any updates without you knowing
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 09:23 AM   #10
kartracer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i coupe, 2017 M240ix

Quote:
I'm looking to install a Match 7UPBMW in my 2017 M240i and would be interested in making up this harness to keep both amps installed for dealer visits. Would you mind PM'ing me the wiring diagram and source for the connector/pins?

Thank you,
Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 09:48 AM   #11
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer View Post
I'm looking to install a Match 7UPBMW in my 2017 M240i and would be interested in making up this harness to keep both amps installed for dealer visits. Would you mind PM'ing me the wiring diagram and source for the connector/pins?

Thank you,
Mike
Won't work, electrically and electronically. Bite the bullet and buy the Audiotech-Fischer amp. When the car has to go into the dealer unplug the AF amp and place the factory amp on top of the AF.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 04:18 PM   #12
kartracer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i coupe, 2017 M240ix

Thanks for the info, but I was hoping to not have to undo all the screws and plugs to pull the trunk panel to get to the amp(s).
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 03:53 PM   #13
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer View Post
Thanks for the info, but I was hoping to not have to undo all the screws and plugs to pull the trunk panel to get to the amp(s).
Yeah, I understand. Getting access to the amp is real PITA, especially getting the rubber weather stripping over the side cover and the rear facing plastic cover.
Appreciate 0