THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning FMIC options for the F23

09-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #23
Smallm
Old Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, Dinan stage 4

I have the Dinan IC on a coupe and haven't had a problem that ER charge pipes didn't solve , a little plastic "adjustment" and all fit perfect. I will say that crossing Death Valley on a 120 degree day it made a HUGE difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 08:26 AM   #24
beMtroubleYou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C '18

Garage List
2018 M2C  [0.00]
Buy one from china and save yourself some money. Dont support other companys bad buisness plans.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 05:40 PM   #25
runnerlk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Thanks for the detailed write up, this should help many people.
Sooooo. I'm getting ready to order the ER IC and called ER to quadruple check whether this IC will fit. the answer from tech support is....we've never installed one but it should......no very encouraging but okay.
then he proceeds to tell me that the charge pipe may not fit.....why I don't know but he stated that I should go with the CP designed for the AWD as it is closer in design to the OEM.
WTF.
I'm not a mechanic so I would be paying my local BMW dealer to install. I've been a customer for a long time and they did the Dinan install as well.
any thoughts on the CP? I don't mind being a guinea pig of sorts but geez, I didn't have any of this stuff with my M3 or the multiple 135is that I've had.

thanks
2011 and 2012 135i Convertible Cobb AP Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 01:30 AM   #26
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

OK, surprised they told you that since the ER IC absolutely does not fit unless you were to remove the front lower brace completely. The ER IC actually sits completely forward of where the stock IC would go - right where the brace is. Not sure how much structural bracing this actually provides, but since BMW saw fit to put it in I just made some slight mods to get a little more room. I did talk to ER about this, and returned the intercooler. Was unfortunate since the unit was massive and I had waited some time to get a black one.

The ER charge pipe fits no problem on the 2016 F23/N55. I had it installed with the stock IC as well as the Wagner IC I have now.
      10-12-2017, 05:39 AM   #27
runnerlk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235SDCA
OK, surprised they told you that since the ER IC absolutely does not fit unless you were to remove the front lower brace completely. The ER IC actually sits completely forward of where the stock IC would go - right where the brace is. Not sure how much structural bracing this actually provides, but since BMW saw fit to put it in I just made some slight mods to get a little more room. I did talk to ER about this, and returned the intercooler. Was unfortunate since the unit was massive and I had waited some time to get a black one.

The ER charge pipe fits no problem on the 2016 F23/N55. I had it installed with the stock IC as well as the Wagner IC I have now.
So the Wagner fit without issue? Along with the ER CP for the RWD not AWD?
Not sure how the manufacturer would have this much mis-information, but looks like I'll go with the Wagner.

Last edited by runnerlk; 10-12-2017 at 05:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #28
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerlk View Post
So the Wagner fit without issue? Along with the ER CP for the RWD not AWD?
Not sure how the manufacturer would have this much mis-information, but looks like I'll go with the Wagner.
Yes, the ER CP I used was for the RWD. No fitment issues. Biggest issue for me was getting the old one out. The ER CP looks really nice and is well built. Mine is black so with a quick look it appears stock.

With the Wagner EVO1 the fit was really close between the front of the IC and the brace on the F23 that connects between the bumper structure and the bottom brace plate. On mine it was nearly touching so I pulled it out and ground some of the metal plating. Not sure if this will make a difference but it made me feel better . That step is a lot of work, and involves removing the bumper cover, pulling the brace out and doing some angle grinding / painting. The brace itself could also be slightly bent forward to offer some clearance without issue. The bottom plate has slots in it so there is room to bend it forward slightly. Again, not sure this is necessary since the IC does fit and I did drive for a while before modding the brace. When I did remove the brace there weren't any signs of physical interference, i.e. rub marks on the IC.

My IC is the Wagner EVO1, which just fit. The EVO2 is about 10mm wider IIRC, and there is no way this would fit. Even Wagner says it would fit. To fit this the brace would need to be removed. Mike at X-PH said there are others the same size but I can't vouch for the other manufacturers.

Again not sure why ER would say it would fit. Technically it does fit without the factory brace. My guess is that you got someone who didn't know that much about this particular product and fitment. When mine was returned around 8/4 I did call and talk to them about the F23, and got someone specifically who was quite familiar with the car / product. He did tell me that they just haven't had people with the F23 try their IC, and when they originally developed it the F23 was not in production yet.
      10-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #29
runnerlk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks !! you just saved me a major headache. Great forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 01:23 AM   #30
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Please post after you get installed with an update! Feel free to PM if you have any issues.
      07-10-2020, 09:05 AM   #31
NR2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW 235ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
The guy ground off part of a STRUCTURAL support brace, including some of the welds, then bent it because he didn't like the idea that it was too close to his IC, a part that is nothing more than an air pass through device!

What's more, by his own admission in the post, after 1 week of use his inspection revealed that there didn't seem to be any problem with the configuration as originally installed.

I really don't know how this can be seen as helpful. It seems more likely to be dangerous. Which is probably why he decided to add that little disclaimer near the end!

Last edited by NR2; 07-10-2020 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: added content
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 05:36 PM   #32
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NR2 View Post
Quote:
The guy ground off part of a STRUCTURAL support brace, including some of the welds, then bent it because he didn't like the idea that it was too close to his IC, a part that is nothing more than an air pass through device!

What's more, by his own admission in the post, after 1 week of use his inspection revealed that there didn't seem to be any problem with the configuration as originally installed.

I really don't know how this can be seen as helpful. It seems more likely to be dangerous. Which is probably why he decided to add that little disclaimer near the end!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NR2 View Post
Quote:

I added the disclaimer because my modification may not be necessary - it just creates more clearance between the steel and the inter cooler tubing. Still I would have done the same thing. The brace is very small and considering it bolts to the bumper and two flat thin pieces near the lower cover it can't provide much. If I were worried I would have welded additional material on the front side.
      07-12-2020, 05:28 PM   #33
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Weird 3 year old bump.
Appreciate 0