BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing CG-lock

06-02-2020, 08:21 AM   #1
smchuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

CG-lock

Does anyone have experience with the CG-Lock device for snugging up OEM seat belts? Thinking of getting pair for my 230i.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 10:10 AM   #2
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

I use one in my Cayman for autocrossing. It does a great job of keeping things tight. However, be careful when your seat belt retracts. The lever that locks the device in place can scratch leather seats if youre not careful when you exit the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 10:24 AM   #3
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

The Scroth clip-in belts are a step up from this, but still removable. I've really appreciated them for HPDE, and they hold both upper and lower body (4 points) rather than just the lap belt - much better for motorsports, but a bit confining for fun driving. Installation was even simpler than it looks in the instructions, once you bite the bullet and just pull the back seat out by force (I'll never get used to the fact that removing parts from the nicest, most high tech car I've ever owned is usually just grabbing and pulling hard).
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
smchuck
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
The Scroth clip-in belts are a step up from this, but still removable. I've really appreciated them for HPDE, and they hold both upper and lower body (4 points) rather than just the lap belt - much better for motorsports, but a bit confining for fun driving. Installation was even simpler than it looks in the instructions, once you bite the bullet and just pull the back seat out by force (I'll never get used to the fact that removing parts from the nicest, most high tech car I've ever owned is usually just grabbing and pulling hard).
Yeah. I'm looking at the Schroth, too. The steep angle that the shoulder belt attachment point makes with the horizontal concerns me. I actually work for NASA and do crew safety stuff. In our spacecraft we never allow such steep angles for safety concerns. I need to dig a bit deeper and see if it is really that serious a problem. The Schroth is DOT approved so that says something.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 06:36 PM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

The Schroth is actually a dual design of sorts. In a crash it acts as a 3 point, allowing you to work with the airbags; but otherwise as a 4 point holding you while driving. What you are saying is absolutely correct for full harness systems, but those also rely on a cage rather than airbags (I don't think any sanctioning body allows shoulder harnesses with this much angle). As I understand it, using a true 4-6 point system in a modern airbag-only car (i.e. harness bar) is actually less safe than the 3 points because of this.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 07:19 AM   #6
smchuck
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
The Schroth is actually a dual design of sorts. In a crash it acts as a 3 point, allowing you to work with the airbags; but otherwise as a 4 point holding you while driving. What you are saying is absolutely correct for full harness systems, but those also rely on a cage rather than airbags (I don't think any sanctioning body allows shoulder harnesses with this much angle). As I understand it, using a true 4-6 point system in a modern airbag-only car (i.e. harness bar) is actually less safe than the 3 points because of this.
Makes sense. thanks for all your input.
Appreciate 0