THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions RESOLVED! Coding brake light check (LEDs)

02-04-2017, 04:35 PM   #1
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

RESOLVED! Coding brake light check (LEDs)

Howdy!

Hoping someone can help

I've installed LEDs in my brake lights. I've also coded off cold & warm checking (set to nicht_aktiv) and set BL is LED (both left & right) to aktiv.

They're still blinking for the error checking the car does. I am guessing I've missed a setting.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

FYI - I've coded off error checking for all turn signal LEDs & the reverse lights, and no flashing. Just letting you know so you understand I know how to code. (Or so I tell myself.)

I went back into E-Sys & even verified these settings were all changed.

Settings I've coded:

xxx_x_x_KALTUEBERWACHUNG - set to nicht_aktiv
xxx_x_x_WARMUEBERWACHUNG - set to nicht_aktiv
xxx_x_x_IS_LED set to aktiv

For both:
REM/3061/BL_L
REM/3061/BL_R

Jim
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies

Last edited by MASHCT; 03-05-2017 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 11:01 AM   #2
brandonee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 i3 REX, 2016 228 M Sport

I haven't had luck with LEDs in my 2016... I'm starting to wonder if there are software differences from the older ones. I tried 4 different sets for the turn signals and they all fail or cause "Lighting System Malfunction". So I'm throwing in the towel and going for chrome turn signals instead. Oh, and I did the coding for the Warm/Cold checks and LED setting as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 05:25 AM   #3
Nito310
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

See post #1574 in this thread. Looks like you didn't code everything.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...997749&page=72
Appreciate 1
MASHCT547.50
      02-12-2017, 07:09 PM   #4
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nito310 View Post

Thanks Nito310 - will check each of these settings.
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 08:17 AM   #5
T4455
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

Have you tried deAutoLED? I had them in my m235i but not the same year as yours.
I did not get around to trying the LEDs in my m240 yet
I know they are on the more expensive side but I had no errors with them, they blinked on startup but it seems to be normal cold diagnostics.
http://www.deautokey.com/product/bmw...e-turn-signals

Last edited by T4455; 02-14-2017 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 11:37 PM   #6
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonee View Post
I haven't had luck with LEDs in my 2016... I'm starting to wonder if there are software differences from the older ones. I tried 4 different sets for the turn signals and they all fail or cause "Lighting System Malfunction". So I'm throwing in the towel and going for chrome turn signals instead. Oh, and I did the coding for the Warm/Cold checks and LED setting as well.
Sounds odd - I have a 2016 and didn't have a problem with the front turns. The car had to be reprogrammed once but there was no issue coding everything back. There was another thread (can't remember where) on this forum that recommended these bulbs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Error-Fre...item35f5efc693

They don't include the 2 series on the fit list but they fit fine and are brighter than stock.
      02-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #7
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4455 View Post
Have you tried deAutoLED? I had them in my m235i but not the same year as yours.
I did not get around to trying the LEDs in my m240 yet
I know they are on the more expensive side but I had no errors with them, they blinked on startup but it seems to be normal cold diagnostics.
http://www.deautokey.com/product/bmw...e-turn-signals
The "blinking" comes from the car's bulb test. If your LEDs are blinking/flashing, that is the "error" I am trying to get rid of. Normally, coding the cold & warm bulb checks to "nicht aktiv" turns off the bulb check & therefore, the flashing.

I don't get any errors with the Weisslicht LEDs (bulb warnings, etc...) just the flashing.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 03:52 PM   #8
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonee View Post
I am not getting any "lighting system malfunction" errors, just the flashing from the bulb check, which I've coded off.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #9
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nito310 View Post

Props to Nito!

There are many settings related to the brake lights where the cold/warm checks need to be set to "nicht-aktiv" and "...is LED" needs to be set to "aktiv".

Go into E-Sys & begin your coding steps. These settings are all in the REM module.

I searched on the term "KALTUEBERWACHUNG" so E-Sys would show all of the items with the cold/warm checks. Then I just walked through the list. I checked every one - some are irrelevant for the brakes & even our car (and were already set to "nicht_aktiv", or I could just tell by the word they were unrelated to the brake lights).

On another forum, I saw a reference to also look for BL_M or BL_Mi. This stands for "brake light middle" & we have "BL_M". F22 brake lights are composed of 3 bulbs: an inside, outside & "middle" bulb. BL_M may have been "nicht_aktiv" by default, but not sure. I looked at & changed many of these settings (should have been writing down exactly what I changed!)

If you're replacing all of your bulbs with LEDs, just check them all.

I can say for sure my initial coding, I only recall changing anything that had "BL" in the settings so that means I missed a bunch of others which is why I was still getting the bulb check flickering.

Once I changed each of these settings to "nicht_aktiv", all of the flickering is gone. No error codes, either.

I am using the Weisslicht Spektrum LEDS. These are VERY well made & the quality is readily apparent when you pick em up. I've not used/looked at any other bulb so can't compare them to alternatives. I've heard folks have been happy with other brands, but I know for sure Weisslicht claims no error codes & that is true - but you definitely have to code off the bulb checks to prevent flickering (or use a resistor).

There is a left/right setting for each one of these. You need to change both.

SL
BL
BL_M
BFD (brake force distribution setting)

According to another post I found, "...SL is supposed to be Schlusslicht (rear light, the 2 for the "inner part" normally)."

You need to change all of these entries/settings for each bulb:

Thanks Nito!
Appreciate 1
KennyFSU1102.50
      01-16-2020, 05:45 PM   #10
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHCT View Post
There is a left/right setting for each one of these. You need to change both.

SL
BL
BL_M
BFD (brake force distribution setting)

According to another post I found, "...SL is supposed to be Schlusslicht (rear light, the 2 for the "inner part" normally)."

You need to change all of these entries/settings for each bulb:

Thanks Nito!
Does this have to be coded in Expert mode?
Appreciate 0