THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning P0172 - Bank 1 Fuel Rich after mods

01-22-2020, 09:46 PM   #1
MagnetarSplatter
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Sedan, 2015 535i

P0172 - Bank 1 Fuel Rich after mods

TL;DR - installed Evolution racewerks CP, FMIC, TIC and MST Air intake and now getting P0172 code when I let the car idle for longer than a few minutes. Looking for suggestions on where to start. See novel below for more details, additional questions and what I think I could try to resolve the issue. Thanks.

I picked up my 235 in October and promptly started to order parts and planning my build which I think had led to my first hiccup. I know a downpipe, tune and drop in filter seem to be the dominate advice but I wanted to prepare for a big boost or similar kit down the road. I haven’t gotten too far but am getting a CEL and a P0172 code.

So far I’ve installed: Evolution Racewerks CP, FMIC, turbo to intercooler pipe and a MST air intake. Got the code a few days after install, I noticed the vacuum line from the intake to a T connector and then the CP had crack in the connector where it connects to the intake side so I replaced it then drove for 40 miles with no codes. I put it in park and let it idle for maybe 10 min and it popped the code again. Exhaust smells of gas and is sooty.

I want to resolve this before I install the DP and put the tune on. I’m thinking of putting the OE intake back on to see if it clears the code but wondering if y’all have any other advice. I haven’t tried to clean the MAF yet so I might try that first.

Also since it’s been rich I plan to replace the plugs...what is recommended for a FBO + Stg 2 BM3 tune (gonna do a Cary Jordan Dyno tune as well)? In Texas so have 93 octane if it matters.

Last edited by MagnetarSplatter; 01-22-2020 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: Add sig
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 09:47 AM   #2
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

It's very likely your intake. Take it off and see if the code goes away in a day or two.
Appreciate 0