THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Replace tail light bolts

12-21-2019, 04:00 PM   #1
kegobass
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Replace tail light bolts

I was replacing my tail lights and one side had stripped bolts (spinning). I was able to get them out but now have no idea how to replace the bolts since they appear to be self tapping.

Here are a few pics of the what the bolts look like. The top one can be added inside the trunk behind the liner but the bottom one is not accessible as it's covered in sheet metal. Any ideas? Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 06:28 PM   #2
Aaron@Autosource
Rep
Drives: F110/F22

I believe it's welded. I think you're better off getting an M6 tap/die kit and saving the existing threads instead of replacing the stud.

I've driven with just the top nut installed on each tail light and honestly, it works just fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 07:15 AM   #3
kegobass
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

After spending the weekend with the car, I had to drill out the existing bottom bolt/nut which was a pain in the ass and then ended up making my own bolt/nut combo to replace the existing welded ones. I had to drill a hole in the back behind the carpet on the bottom one since BMW made the car in such a way you can't get to it.

After a few hundred curse words, everything is back in and working. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 04:44 PM   #4
tcmilli0
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i F30

This happened to me and I cannot get the bolt off because the screw welded from the inside is loose.. Is the only way to drill a hole into it? How exactly do I do this. I don't work on my car much 🤣😭
I was able to peel the liner back to sneak a peak of the bolt and it just spins when I try to take it off from the outside.
Appreciate 0