THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Open Source A/V Integration (Backup Camera)

07-27-2016, 05:10 PM   #23
J-Ho
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 EB m235i

Great write-up, thanks for posting all this info. Do you have any recommendations on a particular model # of AV box, if we wanted to go the cheaper route without the HDMI direct digital interface?

Also, would you happen to have the part number available for your particular camera? Thanks in advance man
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 05:41 PM   #24
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

To get lower cost options you can search alibaba.com. Search term: 6 pin lvds bmw video interface.

I got the camera from indiwork the same place I bought the AV box.

Good luck on the project!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 10:53 AM   #25
J-Ho
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfl1ght View Post
To get lower cost options you can search alibaba.com. Search term: 6 pin lvds bmw video interface.

I got the camera from indiwork the same place I bought the AV box.

Good luck on the project!
Thanks, I ultimately went ahead and bought the same AV box that you have. I was shocked that it arrived in less than a week using economy FedEx shipping

Will install this weekend and report back to the masses.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #26
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yahoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Ho View Post
Thanks, I ultimately went ahead and bought the same AV box that you have. I was shocked that it arrived in less than a week using economy FedEx shipping

Will install this weekend and report back to the masses.
I'm confident you will be successful with the backup camera.

A key tip on the install. If in the future you are interested in adding a miracast dongle so that you can mirror your smartphone to the screen in the BMW, run a HDMI and power cable to the passenger side, and let it dangle there. That way you can take your time considering miracast dongles after the install. Most dongles accept HDMI but you may or may not need a female to female coupler depending on the dongle.

There are a lot choices out there.

Now if I can only get the darn HDMI input to work with a Miracast dongle to display Waze and Google Maps on the screen! I used the Samsung Allcast. Does not work. Pitched it since it also did not work on my HDMI LED TV.

I'm tempted to use their AP Cast but I'd rather use another solution. This will trump any Nav that BMW offers. Plus you save thousands of dollars!

I love hacking my car. You will too.
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 01:08 PM   #27
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:

A key tip on the install. If in the future you are interested in adding a miracast dongle so that you can mirror your smartphone to the screen in the BMW, run a HDMI and power cable to the passenger side, and let it dangle there. That way you can take your time considering miracast dongles after the install. Most dongles accept HDMI but you may or may not need a female to female coupler depending on the dongle.

Now if I can only get the darn HDMI input to work with a Miracast dongle to display Waze and Google Maps on the screen! I used the Samsung Allcast. Does not work. Pitched it since it also did not work on my HDMI LED TV.

I'm tempted to use their AP Cast but I'd rather use another solution. This will trump any Nav that BMW offers. Plus you save thousands of dollars!

Damn, yeah I hope you can get this working. Right now my solution is to fire up my hotspot and then use nav on my spare phone that I use to run Torque. It's sweet because it's propped up right under the dash, however I lose Torque while I'm navigating.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 08:48 PM   #28
wakemcs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F-Type

How would you select the mirror option using iDrive?

Also, if using a forward camera, how would you select it?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 09:05 PM   #29
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemcs View Post
How would you select the mirror option using iDrive?

Also, if using a forward camera, how would you select it?
Select Hdmi input by pressing menu for 2 seconds. Don't use a front camera yet, but you can select it by pressing menu again for 2 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 07:55 PM   #30
J-Ho
Private
Rep

Quote:

Thanks! Good tip on the HDMI cable. I was about to buy the AP CAST module to mirror my iphone until I read on an ebay listing that it isnt compatible with Apple's iOS 9 (current version operating system). I'm surprised to hear the Samsun Allcast doesnt work, since their documentation actually shows a picture connected to both the Allcast and the AP CAST (as options). Curious what other solutions work for the iPhone reliably with iOS 9?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 08:33 PM   #31
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Rolling The Dice

Quote:
Thanks! Good tip on the HDMI cable. I was about to buy the AP CAST module to mirror my iphone until I read on an ebay listing that it isnt compatible with Apple's iOS 9 (current version operating system). I'm surprised to hear the Samsun Allcast doesnt work, since their documentation actually shows a picture connected to both the Allcast and the AP CAST (as options). Curious what other solutions work for the iPhone reliably with iOS 9?
I am considering this one:

https://www.asus.com/us/Phone-Access...racast_Dongle/

Caveat: Officially they support a list of "compatible devices".

But unofficially, Miracast is Miracast.

So I'm going to roll the dice on this one.

You could try this, but again, it a roll of the dice if it will work:

https://www.amazon.com/RIVERSONG%C2%...ds=miracast+5g
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 09:51 PM   #32
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am considering this one:

https://www.asus.com/us/Phone-Access...racast_Dongle/

Caveat: Officially they support a list of "compatible devices".

But unofficially, Miracast is Miracast.

So I'm going to roll the dice on this one.

You could try this, but again, it a roll of the dice if it will work:

https://www.amazon.com/RIVERSONG%C2%...ds=miracast+5g
I've got a Nexus 6 and for some strange reason Google, in their infinite wisdom, disabled Miracast. :/ I have to root it in order to enable it, but I'd rather not. I'm for an upgrade soon anyway. I'll probably go Samsung
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #33
J-Ho
Private
Rep

Name:  IMG_1709-1.JPG
Views: 2164
Size:  410.7 KB

Installed today, decided to go with the wired approach for my HDMI solution. Here's a pic of me testing with my Amazon Firestick until I get my Apple AV cable.

Interesting things I noted during my install:

- Configt's videos here http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1086290 were a huge help, if you need hand-holding like I did. They are for the Bimmer Tech AV Box, but the basic install is about 90% the same.
- I opted for a cheap reverse camera ($15) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on Amazon, and honestly it looks as good as all the rear view cameras I've used. Maybe I'm missing out, but it works flawlessly.
- I was able to install the rear camera without removing any of the panels in the trunk, except for the lid (see Configt's video above)
- The AV Box comes with instructions in Korean, but are easy to find in English on their website if you punch in the model number.
- Similar setups require the use of an infrared remote control. I absolutely love love love how this interfaces directly with the iDrive controller, thus requiring one less thing to mess around with!
- Total cost for me: $300 (AV box w/shipping overseas) + $15 (rear camera) + $8 (posi-taps wire taps) = $323. Not bad, considering how much more similar setups run at Bimmer Tech and the like, plus the install is about the same (minus the ease of the plug & play harness).

Took me about 4.5 hours, but I'm sure it can be done much quicker. Thanks for the tips and being a pioneer by testing out this AV box fancyfl1ght; your posts were exteremely helpful!
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #34
J-Ho
Private
Rep

Name:  IMG_1699-2.JPG
Views: 1478
Size:  95.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1700-2.JPG
Views: 1461
Size:  86.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1701-2.JPG
Views: 1485
Size:  126.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1706-2.JPG
Views: 1418
Size:  99.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1708-2.JPG
Views: 1466
Size:  115.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1711.png
Views: 1422
Size:  434.0 KB
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2016, 05:30 PM   #35
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Super Job!

Quote:
Attachment 1471838

Installed today, decided to go with the wired approach for my HDMI solution. Here's a pic of me testing with my Amazon Firestick until I get my Apple AV cable.

Interesting things I noted during my install:

- Configt's videos here http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1086290 were a huge help, if you need hand-holding like I did. They are for the Bimmer Tech AV Box, but the basic install is about 90% the same.
- I opted for a cheap reverse camera ($15) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on Amazon, and honestly it looks as good as all the rear view cameras I've used. Maybe I'm missing out, but it works flawlessly.
- I was able to install the rear camera without removing any of the panels in the trunk, except for the lid (see Configt's video above)
- The AV Box comes with instructions in Korean, but are easy to find in English on their website if you punch in the model number.
- Similar setups require the use of an infrared remote control. I absolutely love love love how this interfaces directly with the iDrive controller, thus requiring one less thing to mess around with!
- Total cost for me: $300 (AV box w/shipping overseas) + $15 (rear camera) + $8 (posi-taps wire taps) = $323. Not bad, considering how much more similar setups run at Bimmer Tech and the like, plus the install is about the same (minus the ease of the plug & play harness).

Took me about 4.5 hours, but I'm sure it can be done much quicker. Thanks for the tips and being a pioneer by testing out this AV box fancyfl1ght; your posts were exteremely helpful!
Good call on the camera. Cheaper the better. Looks like HDMI is working for you. I am thinking you are testing with the Amazon Firestick but you are still connected to your home wifi? If so, I am going to try to do the same with my Roku to make sure something isn't fishy with my AV box.

At least I know if the HDMI is working then the Samsung Allshare was indeed the problem and I can get an Asus 5G miracast.

Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 05:41 PM   #36
J-Ho
Private
Rep

Quote:
Good call on the camera. Cheaper the better. Looks like HDMI is working for you. I am thinking you are testing with the Amazon Firestick but you are still connected to your home wifi? If so, I am going to try to do the same with my Roku to make sure something isn't fishy with my AV box.

At least I know if the HDMI is working then the Samsung Allshare was indeed the problem and I can get an Asus 5G miracast.

Thanks for the tip.
Yep, I was still connected to my home wifi when I tested the firestick.

For everyone else, here's a link to the AV box that fancyfl1ght recommended in this thread. I'm in Florida and it took less than a week via FedEx Economy, so I wouldn't recommend anyone pay extra to expedite:

http://indiwork.co.kr/shop/all-inter...b-n23-for-bmw/
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 09:20 PM   #37
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

HDMI interface works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Damn, yeah I hope you can get this working. Right now my solution is to fire up my hotspot and then use nav on my spare phone that I use to run Torque. It's sweet because it's propped up right under the dash, however I lose Torque while I'm navigating.

Here are some photos I took after I got the HDMI input to work. I used the APCast dongle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BentZero623.50
      08-20-2016, 09:58 PM   #38
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfl1ght
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post

Here are some photos I took after I got the HDMI input to work. I used the APCast dongle.
Nice work man. Thanks again for this thread.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 08:29 AM   #39
EuroDude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Garage List
2017 Ford GT350  [0.00]
fancyfl1ght and JHo, awesome work!! love the ingenuity. I'm quite the mechanical guy but not so much of an a/v innovator like you guys.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #40
J-Ho
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
fancyfl1ght and JHo, awesome work!! love the ingenuity. I'm quite the mechanical guy but not so much of an a/v innovator like you guys.

Thanks man, all the credit to fancyfl1ght for figuring out the AV box works so easily in our cars.

Name:  FullSizeRender 7.jpeg
Views: 1717
Size:  54.1 KB

Quick heads up to people looking for a cheaper HDMI solution. While the EZCast Wire HDMI dongle works perfectly on TVs, it sadly does NOT work with this AV Box... such a shame since the Apple HDMI adapter is $49 <gulp>.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #41
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wow! Good to Know!

Quote:
Thanks man, all the credit to fancyfl1ght for figuring out the AV box works so easily in our cars.

Attachment 1487148

Quick heads up to people looking for a cheaper HDMI solution. While the EZCast Wire HDMI dongle works perfectly on TVs, it sadly does NOT work with this AV Box... such a shame since the Apple HDMI adapter is $49 <gulp>.

Not sure why the HDMI input is a little whacked up. I'm not all that happy with APCast. It has disconnection issues, so I am going low tech with a cable option.

I'll post pict on this project if it is successful. I've enclosed the link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 12:04 PM   #42
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Success!

Quote:
Not sure why the HDMI input is a little whacked up. I'm not all that happy with APCast. It has disconnection issues, so I am going low tech with a cable option.

I'll post pict on this project if it is successful. I've enclosed the link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Samsung HML 3.0 connects via HDMI. The video connection is now stable!

I also downloaded this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...utingfix&hl=en

I hope it will fix the audio issue with HDMI. More on this later. . . (Did you know that you can use Google Voice with the Voice Command button on the steering wheel?)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 12:30 PM   #43
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
(Did you know that you can use Google Voice with the Voice Command button on the steering wheel?)
Thanks for all of this man. This should be a sticky. Yup, use it a decent amount. Especially for voice dialing while driving.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 04:42 PM   #44
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Success!

Quote:
The Samsung HML 3.0 connects via HDMI. The video connection is now stable!

I also downloaded this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...utingfix&hl=en

I hope it will fix the audio issue with HDMI. More on this later. . . (Did you know that you can use Google Voice with the Voice Command button on the steering wheel?)
I now get audio with my HDMI with the app! Hurray! Now there is no reason for me to retrofit nav, connected apps, or anything else! And I saved a whole bunch of money! Plus no BMW subscription fees! Hurray!

I will post a video later!

Last edited by fancyfl1ght; 09-08-2016 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0