THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics ConnectedDrive features not working: no messages, sending location, BMW Labs Widgets

07-01-2016, 06:52 PM   #1
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i xdrive

ConnectedDrive features not working: no messages, sending location, BMW Labs Widgets

Let me start from the beginning:
I recently had work done on my vehicle (related to the rear backup camera) at the dealership and the iDrive system was reset. Up until then, I had been using ConnectedDrive features such as sending locations to my vehicle via the BMW Remote App and the BMW Labs IFTTT integration. Following this work, I noticed that the BMW Labs Widget option was no longer available under my splitscreen options, which prompted me to investigate further. I then found that I could not send locations to the car as nothing appeared under "Messages" in iDrive. Looking online at ConnectedDrive, I could still see my car associated in my account. Thinking somehow my car somehow had become dissociated, I removed the vehicle in my profile and tried to re-add it to my profile. However, I was unable to re-add the vehicle as in order to add a vehicle, a security key/token is sent to the vehicle and this token is used to verify online; my vehicle did not receive the token. Thus, my ConnectedDrive features showed as past its expiration date in the iDrive.

In speaking with a BMW Genius, while he tried to resolve issues on his side, he suggested that the dealership try to resubmit the electronic subscriber agreement. I was at my dealership this week and they were able to resubmit the agreement and my vehicle now reappeared in my ConnectedDrive profile online. However, the initials problems persist; I'm unable to send locations and receive messages and IFTTT is not available in the splitscreen view. My vehicle does have network connectivity and somehow I am able to send commands such as honking the horn or flashing the headlights through the BMW Remote mobile app.

TLDR: iDrive recently reset by dealer, now I'm no longer able to receive messages (locations etc) to car nor access BMW Labs Widgets for splitscreen

I've contacted BMW Geniuses who are still working on it (although I don't know what that actually means). But does anyone have any solutions? I did try removing the car from my profile and then adding it again (albeit i had to get the dealer to get my car re-associated to my ConnectedDrive profile) to no avail.

This is a frustrating issue as I really liked IFTTT, which i use to control my Hue lights and also log my drives. Additionally, I liked the "send to car" feature since entering/finding addresses via iDrive itself is much more painful.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #2
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

I had this happened to my M235i as well. It wasn't even following any dealer update. It worked for months and then suddenly the send to car stopped working and has never returned.

I've worked with the so called BMW geniuses as well and gone through same procedures of uninstalling and re-installilng from website and phone app. The issue always becomes the car does not receive the security pin to link up. So for whatever reason messages and links are not be received by the car.

Let me know if you ever get resolved as I've spent probably hours on the phone multiple times and no solution has worked. Seems ridiculous as how hard can this be.

I'll sound like a jerk, but I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue, as maybe they'll actually come up with a fix.
      07-02-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

in addition to the calls i placed, i emailed customercare@bmwassist.com and bmwgroup.customerservice@bmwgroup.com although i have yet to receive a response. i wonder where these BMW geniuses are located. i live in NYC and honestly would be willing to go to BMW NA, which is in Woodcliff Lake, NJ, to have someone look at my car and have this issue resolved.

kdog, what software version do you have?

also, i played around some more with BMW remote app this afternoon. through the remote app, the commands to lock the doors and honk the horn work, but not to flash the headlights. so obviously, my car is communicating with the servers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #4
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep

I won't be driving my car until Tuesday, so I'll check my software version then.
But, that is interesting that some of your functions work. I'll have to see if mine do as well, but just not the send to car for maps.
      07-05-2016, 10:44 PM   #5
bozman9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi CV

Vexingv, any updates from BMW?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 11:23 AM   #6
PeterDB
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Experiencing the same issue since last week.

I am driving a new X5 Hybrid for 2 months now.
For multiple weeks I was using the BMW Remote app on my iPhone and was able to successfully send locations to the car.
For an unknown reason, since somewhere last week, this functionality seems no longer to work. However the the app tells me "Destination sent to vehicle", the message doesn't appear any longer in the ConnectedDrive messages overview in my car.
Very strange because there was no update installed and no software and/or settings have been adapted, not in the car and not on my iPhone.
I am wondering whether this is not a more general issue BMW has. Are there still users who can confirm this functionality is still working correctly last days?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 01:26 PM   #7
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok just got off the phone with BMW Genius. Deleted the app, re-set password on connecteddrive website to meet criteria of 8 characters, upper and lower case, 1 number and 1 symbol that isn't ! re-installed app, car links up to the app and the website and send to car does say it send the message link for address, but still does not show up under messages.

However, 1 thing I noticed is that my messages say filtered? (service messages), if you click this and select all messages, and go back, it is still stuck on "service messages"

So, it seems my messages are stuck on a filter to only show service messages which may explain why messages are never received. He said I need to go to local dealer to have them re-set this and get that filter out of there.

Maybe this is a solution?
      07-06-2016, 08:52 PM   #8
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

on monday afternoon, i got a confirmation of receipt of my email from bmwgroup.customerservice@bmwgroup.com, and notification that my email had been forwarded to the "responsible department.";

Quote:
Dear Sir or Madam, Thank you for your message. Your request has been forwarded to the responsible department. They will contact you directly in order to further assist you. Should you have any questions or require additional information with regard to your request, feel free to reply to us under this email address. For further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us. Kind regards, Your BMW Group Customer Service Team BMW Group Postal address: 80788 Munich customer.service@bmw.com ------------------------------------------------------- Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft Vorstand: Harald Krüger, Vorsitzender, Milagros Caiña Carreiro-Andree, Klaus Draeger, Friedrich Eichiner, Klaus Fröhlich, Ian Robertson, Peter Schwarzenbauer, Oliver Zipse. Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Norbert Reithofer Sitz und Registergericht: München HRB 42243 --------------------------------------------------------------------
still no update from NA BMW Genius, one of whom said he'd call back to follow-up.

what software version of idrive do you guys have? does anyone else use IFTTT/BMW labs widgets (granted, i think it's very techie/geeky/nerdy but still a very cool feature).

kdog, it doesn't have to do with any message filtering. i can choose to display all messages and still no new messages. also, when using the app, i do get the confirmation dialog that the message or command was sent, but i obviously i still don't get any messages. there definitely is a connection as some of the app commands work (honk, lock doors; but not flash headlights). also, the GPS car location is accurate (although i did notice a new setting on idrive that i did not see previously which is "GPS tracking" at the very bottom of the list in "settings," which i dont think i had seen previously).

another strange thing i noticed is that when i set a new seat memory preset, i no longer get a confirmation ding/chime sound, but the settings are saved.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 04:26 PM   #9
mbrito31
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 HS M2 Comp

Did anybody come up with a resolution to this? i had the same issue after my screen kept resetting on me and seemed to have reset all my settings as well. My remote app use to work fine now its not connecting to the car at all?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #10
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

a few days ago, i got a call from BMW NA genius who was of no help at all. they noticed that my car was finally associated to my account again (done by my dealership by essentially registering me again for ConnectedDrive by signing the electronic subscriber agreement although the transaction appears almost like a stolen vehicle recovery). now that my car was back online, he said there wasn't much more that could be done. i was told to contact service for my car to address the other issues.

since getting my car back, i also noticed that the seat memory function no longer has a confirmation beep after saving a new setting. reading on the forums, i believe this beep confirmation was added to MY2016 cars. thus, i strongly suspect that i have incorrect/outdated software for my vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 05:06 PM   #11
PeterDB
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Software Upgraded - No connection at all

After several phone calls with BMW and a visit to my dealer, they upgraded the software. Versions shown now: MEDIA: MN-003.009.004 and Telephone: TN-003.009.004.
Problem even is worse now: the car has no connection at all any longer with the server. Nor via WebPortal, nor via the App a connection can be made. Setting up a connection is impossible since the Security Code can't be received any longer.
Also in my case, after the upgrade, the beep when storing a seat memory is no longer there.
According to my BMW dealer, BMW is aware of the issues. Although he mentioned that they thought these problems were linked only to the X5 Hybrids. They also were told that probably the "SIM Box" in the car had to be replaced, but had to wait for further instructions from BMW. I am now waiting for more than 2 weeks and have not heard back.
This is certainly not the service and follow-up I would have expected from BMW.
However it concerns just a couple of nice features, I am quit disappointed now!
Looking forward to your story updates ...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #12
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Those of you with these connectivity problems: have you replaced the BMW Remote App with the new BMW Connected App? I don't know if it would make a difference, but this new App (at least on iPhone) is intended to replace BMW Remote.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 11:21 AM   #13
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Those of you with these connectivity problems: have you replaced the BMW Remote App with the new BMW Connected App? I don't know if it would make a difference, but this new App (at least on iPhone) is intended to replace BMW Remote.
Yes I've tried the new app. I've also been on the phone with BMW "geniuses" more times than I care to talk about. I'm convinced it will never be fixed on my car. The only thing I ever used it for was sending an address to the car to make it simple to navigate once I got in the car. Not really that big of a deal, just kinda pathetic it used to work and now it doesn't and no solutions are available.
      09-02-2016, 08:49 PM   #14
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
Yes I've tried the new app. I've also been on the phone with BMW "geniuses" more times than I care to talk about. I'm convinced it will never be fixed on my car. The only thing I ever used it for was sending an address to the car to make it simple to navigate once I got in the car. Not really that big of a deal, just kinda pathetic it used to work and now it doesn't and no solutions are available.
Since it's an option you payed for,maybe there should be a rebate. Many years ago I bought an option package that included a compass in the mirror among many other things. The compass wouldn't work. The windshield had been magnetized by mistake. They replaced the mirror with one that did not have a compass and,paid me the whole option package price back.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #15
Em-too
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

This is crap. A few folks in the M2 forum having the same issues including myself. No resolution as far as I can tell. Nobody seems to know what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 08:20 PM   #16
Em-too
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

FYI - it just started to work today
Appreciate 1
3Si216.50
      04-19-2018, 09:03 AM   #17
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em-too View Post
FYI - it just started to work today
Having this problem on my M2, can you direct me to the post in the M2 forum? I'm guessing just wait it out?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 09:24 AM   #18
gpburdell
Private
Rep
Drives: EBII M235i

My 235 (2015) stopped receiving locations from Google Maps several weeks ago. Around the same time, I got a letter from BMW about renewing BMW Assist.

I hit 3 years back in late March. So I'm thinking it's not coincidence.

However, on the BMW Assist site I read that the "MyInfo" module of BMW Assist should come with 10 years of service. Other things were 3 years like real time navigation.

Anyone else having this problem and know how to solve?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 03:57 PM   #19
duky
The Tanzanian
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, Audi RS6, Mini Cooper

Garage List
This worked for me!
Attached Images

2023 F56 MINI Cooper SE Midnight Black II on Carbon Black
2021 C8 Audi RS6 Avant Mythos Black on Black/Grey
2016 F80 BMW M3 Black Sapphire Metallic on Silverstone
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 05:58 PM   #20
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

^^^ I just tried the above and no joy.

The message I get states the service is no longer available and I should go to ConnectedDrive website and renew my subscription. I checked my subscription and its good to 2024!

The car display won't allow me to select ConnectedDrive; it just skips over it. Also, "ConnectedDrive" is in blue letters while everything else on the screen is in white letters.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 10:56 AM   #21
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

I believe I figured out what went wrong with my ConnectedDrive.

I logged onto my ConnectedDrive account and saw that BMW Assist eCall, Remote Services and BMW Teleservice are good through 2024. What I didn't catch the first time around was that ConnectedDrive Services had expired; a $50.00 per subscription. So, I renewed it yesterday. I imagine it will take a day or three for it to take effect.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 11:38 AM   #22
TheRealMoo
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i XDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
I believe I figured out what went wrong with my ConnectedDrive.

I logged onto my ConnectedDrive account and saw that BMW Assist eCall, Remote Services and BMW Teleservice are good through 2024. What I didn't catch the first time around was that ConnectedDrive Services had expired; a $50.00 per subscription. So, I renewed it yesterday. I imagine it will take a day or three for it to take effect.
Did this ever fix your problem? I am having the same problem as OP and the "update BMW assist" does not work for me.
Appreciate 0