THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics HK sound option is disappointing

07-26-2015, 02:05 PM   #45
TrailRunner
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i M-Sport 6MT

I have a 228i with the H/K and have a quick question to everyone.

I hook up my iPhone with the USB connector to listen to music. One thing I noticed is that the H/K system is very quiet (quieter than my E46 H/K, to be honest). When I'm driving around, I have to pump the volume up to probably 75% in order to get some good sound coming through. This seems excessive, no?

I noticed that if I switch to FM radio with the same volume level, the stereo is the LOUD. Has anyone else experienced USB input being kind of quiet? Is there a way to adjust this input level in the car? I haven't found it. The iPhone does NOT have an option to do this (since I'm not using AUX-in 1/8").

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #46
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Did you check if the volume on your iPhone is maxed out when connected? Volume output will vary with the iPhone volume setting.
      07-30-2015, 11:09 PM   #47
Funky Cold Medina
Leader of The Free World
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT

HK in 235 is inadequate. the upgraded system in 328 is much better amplified, and the midrange is much better. HK in 235 barely lets you discern tweeter notes. Shame on BMW for a cheap system that cost $900.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 03:59 AM   #48
Mr.Chantastic
Rep
Drives: '15 Estoril Blue 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailRunner View Post
I have a 228i with the H/K and have a quick question to everyone.

I hook up my iPhone with the USB connector to listen to music. One thing I noticed is that the H/K system is very quiet (quieter than my E46 H/K, to be honest). When I'm driving around, I have to pump the volume up to probably 75% in order to get some good sound coming through. This seems excessive, no?

I noticed that if I switch to FM radio with the same volume level, the stereo is the LOUD. Has anyone else experienced USB input being kind of quiet? Is there a way to adjust this input level in the car? I haven't found it. The iPhone does NOT have an option to do this (since I'm not using AUX-in 1/8").

Thanks!
Try closing out your FB app, this happens with me too and it went loud. You can hear the difference if you are playing music and closing fb out.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 11:47 AM   #49
TrailRunner
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
Did you check if the volume on your iPhone is maxed out when connected? Volume output will vary with the iPhone volume setting.
Thanks - I did check that it and it had no impact.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 11:48 AM   #50
TrailRunner
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Chantastic View Post
Try closing out your FB app, this happens with me too and it went loud. You can hear the difference if you are playing music and closing fb out.
I rarely have Facebook app open, so I doubt that's the issue. Although, good idea - I will close out every single app and see what happens. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 02:47 AM   #51
murderwasthebass
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Coupe, M Sport, 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAustin View Post
Just get it....so many people hate on it but honestly I quite like it. The standard hi fi is weak.
THIS.

It's obvious the HK system is better than the standard system. A lot of you are saying its only nominally better. But that is still better. We're paying over thirty thousand dollars for a car. Some of us over fifty thousand dollars. Pay the $875 for the system and be happy. This is an Ultimate DRIVING Machine. Not an ultimate listening machine. The HK sound system is a great perk to this car. Enjoy it. I think it has excellent bass. Very powerful. And the highs are nice and crisp.

My listening profile:

I turn my treble all the way up and my bass to 80%. I listen to a LOT of electronic music. Mainly Trance, Progressive and Techno via USB on my iPhone 6.
I am very pleased with the HK system in this car and certainly don't consider myself a hardcore audiophile, however, I can appreciate what good quality sounds like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailRunner View Post
I too have to turn up my volume to about 75% before it becomes "loud" enough for me. I believe this is normal behavior via USB on iPhone.

Last edited by murderwasthebass; 01-21-2016 at 03:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 01:01 PM   #52
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderwasthebass View Post
THIS.

It's obvious the HK system is better than the standard system. A lot of you are saying its only nominally better. But that is still better. We're paying over thirty thousand dollars for a car. Some of us over fifty thousand dollars. Pay the $875 for the system and be happy. This is an Ultimate DRIVING Machine. Not an ultimate listening machine. The HK sound system is a great perk to this car. Enjoy it. I think it has excellent bass. Very powerful. And the highs are nice and crisp.
To each, their own. You've plainly read this thread and likely understand most of what has been said. However, a statement like "Pay the $875 for the system and be happy" is just nonsensical -- particularly for those of us who not only know what good sound is due to years upon years of professional and critical experience, but also who appreciate proper value in a purchase. I won't get into why beyond that, because it should be obvious -- really just as obvious as the HK is substandard for an audio system in a $40K+ car.

(Hell: in this day and age, it's substandard for an audio system in a $20K car!)

Last edited by Viffermike; 01-21-2016 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 08:58 PM   #53
murderwasthebass
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
To each, their own. You've plainly read this thread and likely understand most of what has been said. However, a statement like "Pay the $875 for the system and be happy" is just nonsensical -- particularly for those of us who not only know what good sound is due to years upon years of professional and critical experience, but also who appreciate proper value in a purchase. I won't get into why beyond that, because it should be obvious -- really just as obvious as the HK is substandard for an audio system in a $40K+ car.

(Hell: in this day and age, it's substandard for an audio system in a $20K car!)
You're right. To each their own and it wasn't right of me to make a statement like that. I was just reading through the thread and seeing SO MANY negative comments about it. From what I've read, it really seems like 80% don't like the HK and 20% like it or don't mind.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2016, 08:58 PM   #54
murderwasthebass
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok. Just listened to an HK system in a 2016 3 Series for a refresher. WORLDS difference. Especially with the fine tuning on the EQ. Well...im still happy for what I have on the HK in my 2er.
      01-23-2016, 10:16 PM   #55
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the old 1-series coupe had the "full blown" Top-HiFi system unlike the 2-series?

I think the HK system in my 120i E82 coupe sounded better than the HK system in my M235i (it also had more options in the iDrive menu).

Isn't there any way to "retrofit" this system in the 2er (i.e. grab the system from a 3er?)?

EDIT: I am not really unsatisfied with the HK system. I think it's worth the money, but it really is a shame the 2-series comes with a watered down version. It also seems that aftermarket solutions are extremely rare (only heard of Focal and Bavsound so far, but I don't even know if they're plug'n'play).

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #56
rti35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i xDrive

I have the HK system in my M235i and I think it's very good. I've had several cars with upgraded audio systems and this has been one of the better ones. Gets very loud, with good bass and good highs. Sound clarity remains throughout the higher volume levels for most types of music.

My buddy has a Hellcat Challenger with the upgraded 18 speaker system which is the only system I've heard so far that's better than this. And it's a $2,000 option.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 09:16 PM   #57
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rti35 View Post
I have the HK system in my M235i and I think it's very good. I've had several cars with upgraded audio systems and this has been one of the better ones. Gets very loud, with good bass and good highs. Sound clarity remains throughout the higher volume levels for most types of music.

My buddy has a Hellcat Challenger with the upgraded 18 speaker system which is the only system I've heard so far that's better than this. And it's a $2,000 option.
The upgraded audio in my wife's C class sounds better to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 10:31 PM   #58
Nose Nuggets
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

i don't know if this is real or not, but i just coded out the engine sound through the speaker stuff and when i applied that code it rebooted the idrive system and for whatever reason, the HK systems seems to sound a lot better. could be totally in my head. maybe it was just the reboot. but it seems noticeably improved.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 02:56 PM   #59
geep81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi

I found that by adjusting balance of the speakers more towards the rear it sounded better. Stock setup the HK system sounds like it puts 80% of the sound through the front speakers. I played with it till it sounded more balanced, now I like it.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #60
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

if you use WAV files and not compressed mp3's it will sound much better.

I am very happy with my HK system, it sounds like i have a box with 2x 10" subs in the trunk.

I have bass on 80% treble on 60%. And i have the sound mostly in the rear speakers.
Use the highest bitrate songs you can find and you will her the difference.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 08:29 AM   #61
chemh0ser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by geep81 View Post
I found that by adjusting balance of the speakers more towards the rear it sounded better. Stock setup the HK system sounds like it puts 80% of the sound through the front speakers. I played with it till it sounded more balanced, now I like it.
I found this to be true as well, however, the subs are tied to the front speakers. When you fade to the rear you are cutting the output of the subs.
2015 ///M235iX | Mineral Grey | Dakota Black | Premium | Tech | Cold | Driver Ast | HK Sound | Black Kidney Grilles | M-Performance Exhaust | Front Splitter | Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps, Rear Spoiler and Exhaust Finishers
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #62
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

So I have a loaner X1 with the basic sound system, and while I'm sure it's a different speaker set up the H/K system in the 235 sounds much better. The X1 has a little more bass but the highs are muddy and the bass is distorted, compared to the 235 w/H/K. Still sounds good though.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 09:15 AM   #63
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_e90 View Post
I am very happy with my HK system, it sounds like i have a box with 2x 10" subs in the trunk.
What kind of subs have you had in your trunk before? My single 12" JL W6 sounds WAAAAAAAY louder than the HK system.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread

Last edited by BentZero; 03-02-2016 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2016, 11:51 AM   #64
tenfour
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: at the speed limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
What kind of subs have you had in your trunk before? My single 12" JL W6 sounds WAAAAAAAY louder than the HK system.
Exactly what I was thinking. Pretty much all my vehicles have an upgraded sound system, whether its from the factory or aftermarket and there is no way the HK system is better than any of them. Even my Infiniti SUV with the factory 8" Bose sub blows this HK system out the water.

I like to hear the range from highs to lows and the HK system does not provide that. I'll try to balance the sounds more to the rears and see what happens, as others have stated above. I'm assuming the mid to lows are drowning out the front speakers.

Last edited by tenfour; 03-02-2016 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #65
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Quote:

You can't compare a 12" to a 10" or stock vs aftermarket amps, etc.. Not getting into a pissing match over this.

For a stock system in a car, it sounds perfectly fine. You can get all salty about how you paid 900 for the HK and not happy, thats your opinion. its not designed to win bass competitions.

Try the same song your playing in a mp3 to a Wav version. You will hear the difference in clarity and bass response.

It's much better than the HK that was in my old Range Rover (the sub was in the rear tailgate door so you could never turn up the sub or all you heard was shaking and vibrating).
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:07 PM   #66
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_e90
Quote:

You can't compare a 12" to a 10" or stock vs aftermarket amps, etc.. Not getting into a pissing match over this.

For a stock system in a car, it sounds perfectly fine. You can get all salty about how you paid 900 for the HK and not happy, thats your opinion. its not designed to win bass competitions.

Try the same song your playing in a mp3 to a Wav version. You will hear the difference in clarity and bass response.

It's much better than the HK that was in my old Range Rover (the sub was in the rear tailgate door so you could never turn up the sub or all you heard was shaking and vibrating).
Um, you're the one that compared it to two 10" subs. :/ I was merely asking you what subs.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0