THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Apple iPhone 6 Snap-in Adapter Coming?

08-20-2015, 11:22 AM   #23
MikeDee
ChiLLaXin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

CONFIRMED

The above part numbers are confirmed good to go for your BMW Center to order. They will want to run your VIN to ensure you have the center console BASEPLATE installed.

Extended Bluetooth Package required from your build as this option can not be added after production.

$265 bucks...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #24
skeeedunt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Very cool. A few questions for anyone who might know -

How secure is the clip?

Is the clip padded/rubberized where it contacts the screen to prevent scratches?

I saw a pic of the bottom of the unit somewhere else, it looks like the cable is replaceable, presumably connected to the unit via micro USB, can anyone confirm? This is a big one as lightning cables seem to die with unusual frequency.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 06:55 PM   #25
The Ching
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeedunt

How secure is the clip?

Is the clip padded/rubberized where it contacts the screen to prevent scratches?

I saw a pic of the bottom of the unit somewhere else, it looks like the cable is replaceable, presumably connected to the unit via micro USB, can anyone confirm? This is a big one as lightning cables seem to die with unusual frequency.
The clip comes apart in 2 pieces, the contact part is rubberized. It's not the most secure thing in the world, I have to be careful not to knock it out of place when I put the phone in or out. A micro USB is used to connect the phone to the base part.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #26
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeedunt

How secure is the clip?

There's a not-very-good 'unboxing' video of the Android version on YT. The instructions verify that to get the signal-boost benefit, the phone must be mounted without a case -- IOW, nothing can be between the phone itself and the cradle.

This verifies two things:
1) The signal boost is passive
2) The marketing of the cradle ('now you can use this with a case' or somesuch) is woefully misleading since the primary benefit of the cradle is nullified if a case is on the phone.

IMHO, it's not worth $230. Not even close.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 07:10 PM   #27
MikeDee
ChiLLaXin'
United_States
Rep

Standby for Review

Actually make that $317.50 including tax.

I just had mine installed and will write a review for all of you within the next few days. To begin with, the lightening connector is at a 45 degree angle... so my kick ass Element case will not allow a direct connection.

But, I'll have it and some pictures to you shortly.

~MikeDee
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 06:43 PM   #28
skeeedunt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Thanks for the info everyone. Mike, looking forward to your review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
1) The signal boost is passive
2) The marketing of the cradle ('now you can use this with a case' or somesuch) is woefully misleading since the primary benefit of the cradle is nullified if a case is on the phone.
Trying to remember back over all the threads I've read... is there *any* difference between using the adapter vs plugging directly into the USB port, besides the supposed reception boost?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #29
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeedunt View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. Mike, looking forward to your review.

Trying to remember back over all the threads I've read... is there *any* difference between using the adapter vs plugging directly into the USB port, besides the supposed reception boost?
Not to my knowledge, except I believe the iOS version includes a cooling fan (MikeDee, can you verify this, please?), which is totally not needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #30
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Proper iPhone 6 snap in adapter, BMW part # 84212407464

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=84212407464

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #31
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

FWIW, I do not regret buying the adapter cradle for my iPhone 5, although there is no doubt that, like everything BMW, it is expensive. To avoid crappy Bluetooth music streaming, the only "hard wired" alternative would have been an untidy USB connection trailing out of the center compartment. I can slip my phone out of its case in .5 sec and once I stash the phone out of sight in the cradle, I get the benefit of the fullest available cooperation between iPhone and iDrive.

I like using the iDrive interface to select music from my collection on the phone but it's the app support that really sold me on this gadget. For example, it enables me to access the Spotify app through the iDrive's ConnectedDrive interface and to get the full functionality of Spotify via the iDrive controller with all selections and options available on the car's nav screen. When I eject the iPhone from the adapter, if I wait for about ten seconds with the car still powered up, the audio will transmit what I had previously been listening to via a wired connection over a Bluetooth connection. You do not have to be an audiophile to be struck by the enormous difference in quality.

And, yes, there is a cooling fan, which is just as well because this thing appears to cook my iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 08:56 PM   #32
MikeDee
ChiLLaXin'
United_States
Rep

REVIEW POSTED:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1177288
Appreciate 0