THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics BlackVue DR650GW-2CH + Multi Safer Dash Cam hardwired

06-06-2015, 10:21 PM   #23
BBMMWW333
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: C32 AMG, E63 AMG, M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazee 1 View Post
Both are 5 amp fuses. What are you trying to hook up?
I am trying hook up the blackvue 600. I wanted to get all the wire tap before getting the device. The sales guy suggested me to buy the external battery instead of hard wiring into the fuse box.

Hows the battery life for parking mode? I live in the City and drive daily about 1-2 hours. Will this be enough for the car battery for semi busy parking mode?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 11:35 PM   #24
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

A battery pack is an alternative option but the cost of them can be pretty high and I think it's a bit unnecessary. You won't have any issues with battery but you'll probably have issue with storage space if it is constant recording. The result will probably be that you'll only be able to store 1-2 days worth of data before it starts to overwrite again (assuming a 64gb card is used).
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 02:05 AM   #25
BBMMWW333
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: C32 AMG, E63 AMG, M235i

Quote:
A battery pack is an alternative option but the cost of them can be pretty high and I think it's a bit unnecessary. You won't have any issues with battery but you'll probably have issue with storage space if it is constant recording. The result will probably be that you'll only be able to store 1-2 days worth of data before it starts to overwrite again (assuming a 64gb card is used).
I have the stock card with the blackvue. I wonder if I should upgrade to 64GB.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 12:45 PM   #26
TwinPowerF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

I am using Sony 64GB and Samsung EVO 64GB cards for my Blackvues and no problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 10:57 AM   #27
Regardless
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: turbo'd inline 6

I have a question..

I previously used my Blackvue in the trunk cigarette socket, worked fine.

After seeing this post I went ahead and purchased the multisafer and wire taps.

The multisafer does not turn on.. Trying to figure out what I did wrong here.

Do I need to put only the original fuse 5 amp on the wiretap? Or the 5amp +another 5amp?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 11:46 AM   #28
TwinPowerF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

You use 1 fuse in the fuse tap if you are using a slot on the fuse box that doesn't currently have a fuse in place. You use 2 if it currently has a fuse. Check for a good ground.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2015, 06:06 PM   #29
Regardless
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPowerF30 View Post
You use 1 fuse in the fuse tap if you are using a slot on the fuse box that doesn't currently have a fuse in place. You use 2 if it currently has a fuse. Check for a good ground.
The Ground.. That was key.

I followed the OP's fuse choices of 147 and 150 but I ignored the black wire.

It seems like it's working, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 02:48 PM   #30
Regardless
Private First Class
Rep

So I left it on all night in parking mode, with the multi safer in default setting.

In the morning my comfort access wouldn't work, so I used the remote to open, and when I turned on the car, I see a Battery Drainage fault error.

Is this error normally seen with dash cam use?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #31
a-fung
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regardless View Post
So I left it on all night in parking mode, with the multi safer in default setting.

In the morning my comfort access wouldn't work, so I used the remote to open, and when I turned on the car, I see a Battery Drainage fault error.

Is this error normally seen with dash cam use?
I use power magic pro instead of multi safer so I don't know what the default setting is.
You may want to check the ACC and Battery connections. If you have ACC connected to an always powered fuse then it will not shut off.

I use DR650GW-2CH with power magic pro. power cut off at 11.8V and 12 hours. I never see the battery drainage error. Instead I sometime see the camera is off before 12 hours.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 03:14 PM   #32
Regardless
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-fung View Post
I use power magic pro instead of multi safer so I don't know what the default setting is.
You may want to check the ACC and Battery connections. If you have ACC connected to an always powered fuse then it will not shut off.

I use DR650GW-2CH with power magic pro. power cut off at 11.8V and 12 hours. I never see the battery drainage error. Instead I sometime see the camera is off before 12 hours.
That's not too different from my setting.. My cut off is at 11.8V as well, but without a time limit.
My camera is the DR750 though, not sure if that makes a difference.
I'll have to play with the settings, maybe the time limit will help.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 10:15 PM   #33
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep

That error is common but should really only come on if you haven't driven the car for awhile. If it's just overnight (like 8-10hrs) that shouldn't cause it. Do you keep the car in a garage?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 01:15 AM   #34
Regardless
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That error is common but should really only come on if you haven't driven the car for awhile. If it's just overnight (like 8-10hrs) that shouldn't cause it. Do you keep the car in a garage?
It's a multi unit garage.. maybe the motion detector has been triggered too often?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #35
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regardless View Post
It's a multi unit garage.. maybe the motion detector has been triggered too often?
That's what I was originally thinking.. if there is constant recording all night long due to movement then that might be a factor.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 07:25 PM   #36
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
If I don't drive my car for over 24 hrs then yes the car detects battery drainage and turns off all power. If you drive your car daily u shouldn't have a problem with either the power magic pro or multisafer. If I know I'm going to leave my car parked for an extended period of time in my garage I just simply unplug the power to my camera. No point in recording at home anyways.
Does disconnecting power to the front disconnect the rear as well or do you have to climb into the back and unplug the rear too.
thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 12:56 AM   #37
TwinPowerF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

The rear gets power from the front camera.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #38
Boneman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i alpine white on black

Garage List
2014 m235i  [9.00]
2014 m235i  [0.00]
My mobius is hard wired to the dimmer in the rear view mirror. it only comes on when the car is on.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #39
Monkeyboxers
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 30i G01 M-Sport

I'm having issues with mine. I've hard wired mine to the fuse but whenever I leave it overnight, the dashcam doesn't come on. So I have to go back to the boot and turn off and on.

I've tried as suggested and unplug the power cable for the front camera whenever it's left in the garage, but when I start the car the following day and re-plug the wire it won't start.

The setting on the Power Magic Pro is set to the standard, 12v/6hrs.

I've wired my fuse as BATT+: rear headlights for RHD (161) and ACC to wing mirrors (143).

Would a bad ground cause this? Or..?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 12:37 AM   #40
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyboxers View Post
I'm having issues with mine. I've hard wired mine to the fuse but whenever I leave it overnight, the dashcam doesn't come on. So I have to go back to the boot and turn off and on.

I've tried as suggested and unplug the power cable for the front camera whenever it's left in the garage, but when I start the car the following day and re-plug the wire it won't start.

The setting on the Power Magic Pro is set to the standard, 12v/6hrs.

I've wired my fuse as BATT+: rear headlights for RHD (161) and ACC to wing mirrors (143).

Would a bad ground cause this? Or..?
Just to be clear, when you leave it overnight, everything else turns on just fine but only the dashcam doesn't? If that is the case, then it appears to be an issue related to either the dashcam or your powermagic pro.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 12:43 AM   #41
siwo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i RWD 6MT

Garage List
Sorry for reviving a semi-old thread but I have a question about the dash-cam install. The Multisafer? Why would one use this? Is it to have the camera still operate while the vehicle is shut off? If my objective is to only record when I'm in the car do I need this? Can I just hard-wire the camera to the fuse box via add a circuit on Accessory and this will do what I need?

Sorry for my ignorance but I read all postings but was unclear on the ground part? I plan to only run one camera to the front and I guess I should run it via the roof-liner, A or B pillar, then down to the trim covers, then to the back-seat then to the main fuse?

I am still awaiting for my F22 to be built so I have no physical car in front of me to plan. My current '15 Lexus ES, I just simply ran it to the cigarette plug which is hidden in the centre arm-rest console. Thanks in advanced.
2004 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
1993 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 01:20 AM   #42
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by siwo View Post
Sorry for reviving a semi-old thread but I have a question about the dash-cam install. The Multisafer? Why would one use this? Is it to have the camera still operate while the vehicle is shut off? If my objective is to only record when I'm in the car do I need this? Can I just hard-wire the camera to the fuse box via add a circuit on Accessory and this will do what I need?

Sorry for my ignorance but I read all postings but was unclear on the ground part? I plan to only run one camera to the front and I guess I should run it via the roof-liner, A or B pillar, then down to the trim covers, then to the back-seat then to the main fuse?

I am still awaiting for my F22 to be built so I have no physical car in front of me to plan. My current '15 Lexus ES, I just simply ran it to the cigarette plug which is hidden in the centre arm-rest console. Thanks in advanced.
The purpose of the multi safer is to manage the battery consumption if you leave the dash cam recording while parked because it'll automatically disconnect the dash cam if your voltage reaches a certain level or if a certain amount of time has passed. If you don't intend to record while parked then you don't need it. You might need to get an adapter as the end of the dash cam plug is your typical cigarette lighter plug. The ground is simply a metal screw that is available and you sandwich the wire between the screw. Your route method works perfectly fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 04:57 AM   #43
siwo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i RWD 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
The purpose of the multi safer is to manage the battery consumption if you leave the dash cam recording while parked because it'll automatically disconnect the dash cam if your voltage reaches a certain level or if a certain amount of time has passed. If you don't intend to record while parked then you don't need it. You might need to get an adapter as the end of the dash cam plug is your typical cigarette lighter plug. The ground is simply a metal screw that is available and you sandwich the wire between the screw. Your route method works perfectly fine.
This is exactly what I am looking for in an answer. You sir just made my day! Thank you.
2004 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
1993 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 07:16 AM   #44
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR886 View Post
Do you need to use two same AMP fuse within the fuse tap or higher amp for the blackvue?

What amp fuse are the two taps that you used?
On the adapter itself, you'd put a 5amp in the bottom and a 5amp in the top of the add a circuit piece. The camera only needs 5 amps and the fuse it plugs into only needs 5 amps. Putting a larger amp fuse in there allows for that device to draw more power than it needs and could burn it up. Purpose of the fuse is to stop over voltage.
Appreciate 0