THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics BlackVue DR650GW-2CH + Multi Safer Dash Cam hardwired

01-05-2015, 11:05 PM   #1
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I finally hardwired my Blackvue dash cams after a lot of research and trial and error. Being my first dash cam install and the fact that I've never dealt with fuses before made this project somewhat challenging at first. But in the end, it wasn't all that bad at all. The setup includes a front and rear camera setup to record both when parked and when the car is on.

I originally went with the PowerMagic Pro but from watching YouTube videos, that product has issues with cars that have the stop/go technology. Although I never really use it, I decided to go with the Multi Safer anyways just in case. The Multi Safer is programmed to either turn off the camera when the voltage drops below 12.2v or when it's been in parking mode for a straight 24 hours, whichever comes first. The camera is also only triggered based on motion when in parking mode.

I used 2 add a fuse circuits, one for ACC and 1 for constant power. You can see the Multi Safer mounted in the trunk next to the fusebox. Routing the wires in the car was particularly challenging because they give you way more cable than you need and hiding the excess wires was somewhat difficult. The connector from the Multi Safer to the cigarette lighter plug from the camera was also very loose, so I ended up mounting the Multi Safer to wedge the two pieces together. I would recommend duct taping the 2 together as they tend to come lose as you drive. The Multi Safer has a button and 2 leds. The leds can actually tell you your current battery voltage as well as the mode of the Multi Safer. The button allows you to choose between 2 modes - Always on mode or only on when the car is on. It's nice to have this option as you can turn off the always on mode if you are going to leave the car parked at home in a garage for a long period of time, for example. Overall, I am pretty happy with the setup and I feel more secure both while driving and while the car is off. Let me know if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 11:53 PM   #2
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Any sample videos to share? Have you tested it all with the car parked? Been looking at this setup and interested in some real world feedback.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahk View Post
Any sample videos to share? Have you tested it all with the car parked? Been looking at this setup and interested in some real world feedback.
I don't have my own video to share but there are a lot on youtube. I linked a video below of a review of this product which also has some live footage. On day to day driving, I don't really notice it's there, which is nice. The parking mode works as it should. It switches to parking mode after the camera detects no movement for about 5-10 min and then switches back to normal mode once it detects you're moving again. The only issue I've encountered is that the car is very sensitive to any battery drainage. So even though I have the Multi Safer in place, the car will usually turn off the camera before my Multi Safer kicks in when the voltage drops. I've found that if you consistently drive your car, then this won't be an issue. But if you just let your car sit at home all day long with the camera on, it will most likely be shut off by the car's IBS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJU6It9uETU

Last edited by mikeyymonster; 01-10-2015 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 10:34 AM   #4
soghetto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY14 MG M235i 8-AT

Garage List
2014 m235i  [10.00]
did you have to take any trim apart to feed the 2 wires, or were you able to tuck everything in without needing to remove (loosen) trim or parts?

I have been waiting for a nice day to install mine but have pseudo ran the remote cable just to see what was in store... it seems there is plenty of room around the trim to stash the 2 cables but getting the power through the rear pass seat into the trunk, looks like I may need to remove a piece or 2 in order to snake them through? (the seat belt area part?)

looks good, thanks for the pics. now I know where to tap into the fuse box!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #5
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i

I just did this exact same install minus the multi safer. I used the Power Magic Pro and I am having problems with it already. I think I will buy a multi safer.

You don't need to take any trim apart. You just need a little tool to help you pry things once and awhile.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 12:26 PM   #6
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazee 1 View Post
I finally hardwired my Blackvue dash cams after a lot of research and trial and error. Being my first dash cam install and the fact that I've never dealt with fuses before made this project somewhat challenging at first. But in the end, it wasn't all that bad at all. The setup includes a front and rear camera setup to record both when parked and when the car is on.

I originally went with the PowerMagic Pro but from watching YouTube videos, that product has issues with cars that have the stop/go technology. Although I never really use it, I decided to go with the Multi Safer anyways just in case. The Multi Safer is programmed to either turn off the camera when the voltage drops below 12.2v or when it's been in parking mode for a straight 24 hours, whichever comes first. The camera is also only triggered based on motion when in parking mode.

I used 2 add a fuse circuits, one for ACC and 1 for constant power. You can see the Multi Safer mounted in the trunk next to the fusebox. Routing the wires in the car was particularly challenging because they give you way more cable than you need and hiding the excess wires was somewhat difficult. The connector from the Multi Safer to the cigarette lighter plug from the camera was also very loose, so I ended up mounting the Multi Safer to wedge the two pieces together. I would recommend duct taping the 2 together as they tend to come lose as you drive. The Multi Safer has a button and 2 leds. The leds can actually tell you your current battery voltage as well as the mode of the Multi Safer. The button allows you to choose between 2 modes - Always on mode or only on when the car is on. It's nice to have this option as you can turn off the always on mode if you are going to leave the car parked at home in a garage for a long period of time, for example. Overall, I am pretty happy with the setup and I feel more secure both while driving and while the car is off. Let me know if you have any questions.

Fuse connections

Front Camera

Rear Camera

By the way, I have found that the BMW shuts all power off after a certain period of time, so it was necessary to hardwire the constant power directly to the battery rather than a fuse that gets shut off. The ACC can go to a fuse.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 12:44 PM   #7
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep

If I don't drive my car for over 24 hrs then yes the car detects battery drainage and turns off all power. If you drive your car daily u shouldn't have a problem with either the power magic pro or multisafer. If I know I'm going to leave my car parked for an extended period of time in my garage I just simply unplug the power to my camera. No point in recording at home anyways.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 10:11 PM   #8
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
If I don't drive my car for over 24 hrs then yes the car detects battery drainage and turns off all power. If you drive your car daily u shouldn't have a problem with either the power magic pro or multisafer. If I know I'm going to leave my car parked for an extended period of time in my garage I just simply unplug the power to my camera. No point in recording at home anyways.
Very helpful and timely. It's hard to find a good install video particular to BMWs. I'm hoping to get the Blackvue 600 by this fall.
      02-22-2015, 10:45 PM   #9
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by configt View Post
By the way, I have found that the BMW shuts all power off after a certain period of time, so it was necessary to hardwire the constant power directly to the battery rather than a fuse that gets shut off. The ACC can go to a fuse.
Just out of curiosity, when you wire to the battery directly, are you simply wrapping the wire around the positive terminal? Or are there cleaner alternatives like the add a fuse circuits used for fuses?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 12:09 AM   #10
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, when you wire to the battery directly, are you simply wrapping the wire around the positive terminal? Or are there cleaner alternatives like the add a fuse circuits used for fuses?
There is actually a perfect little area next to the battery terminal that has its own little nut. You take that nut off and use a 2 prong cable end on the bolt and then put the nut back on. Looks OEM
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 12:10 AM   #11
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Weird. My car actually shuts all power after an hour or so. That's why I had to go direct to the battery. My power Magic pro is messed up tho and it detects that the battery is lower than the 11.8v threshold even tho it isn't. Have to replace it or get the one you have.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 12:19 AM   #12
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by configt View Post
Weird. My car actually shuts all power after an hour or so. That's why I had to go direct to the battery. My power Magic pro is messed up tho and it detects that the battery is lower than the 11.8v threshold even tho it isn't. Have to replace it or get the one you have.
Ah I see. Sounds like it's more of an issue with your powermagic pro then if you are using the same fuse as me. Not sure if I referenced my fuse numbers above, but I'll post them here in case other people need them. For yellow I used 150 which is the fuse for the trunk, and for ACC I used 147 which is the fuse for the radio. Both use 5amp fuses.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #13
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 06:13 PM   #14
Ramathorn
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Very nice install! Can you elaborate on how you routed the wiring between the front and rear camera, and from the camera to the trunk for power?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 06:33 PM   #15
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramathorn View Post
Very nice install! Can you elaborate on how you routed the wiring between the front and rear camera, and from the camera to the trunk for power?
I separated the 2 wires so that it's not as bulky when hiding. The main unit is routed on the left side of the moulding to the back of the trunk (through the backseats) and the rear camera is connected to the main unit on the right side of the car. Routing the wires is probably the most annoying part of the install as you want to keep them hidden.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #16
Ramathorn
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
I separated the 2 wires so that it's not as bulky when hiding. The main unit is routed on the left side of the moulding to the back of the trunk (through the backseats) and the rear camera is connected to the main unit on the right side of the car. Routing the wires is probably the most annoying part of the install as you want to keep them hidden.
Thanks for the reply. The wire routing/hiding is the only part I am still on the fence about. I have been debating between going the route you did and running it to the trunk vs just doing a single front camera and tapping power from the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 02:16 AM   #17
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
^^This is how I did it as well. Today I replaced my faulty BlackVue with the MotoPark Multi Safer. MUCH better unit.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 12:51 PM   #18
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hey Lazee 1 has your GPS been working correctly on your 650GW? I was watching some of the videos this past week using the Blackvue program on my mac and noticed that GPS cuts in and out. I read online that this is an issue with the blackvue after it overheats and then it requires replacement.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 12:35 AM   #19
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep

Sorry I haven't had a chance to review it yet since it's been so chaotic at work. I don't recall having any issues like that though. I'll try to take a look.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 10:59 PM   #20
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Does the review mirror cover it up from the driver's seat? It looks almost as if you would never see it as a driver (which is preferred for my tastes).
      06-05-2015, 05:16 PM   #21
BBMMWW333
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: C32 AMG, E63 AMG, M235i

Do you need to use two same AMP fuse within the fuse tap or higher amp for the blackvue?

What amp fuse are the two taps that you used?

Last edited by BBMMWW333; 06-05-2015 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 07:02 PM   #22
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep

Both are 5 amp fuses. What are you trying to hook up?
Appreciate 0