THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning I think I need a new turbo... help pls :(

05-04-2022, 03:50 PM   #1
el diablito
Tire Eating Consultant
Rep
Drives: 14 BMW M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I think I need a new turbo... help pls :(

Greetings. Just got a wonderful M235i about a month ago and have noticed a weird sound on acceleration... a whine and not a whir/whistle of the turbo. My googling tells me this is the sign of a dying turbo. A few other quirks have led me to believe this is the problem (rare boost lag, subpar performance). The car still runs fine most of the time, but I'd like to get this figured out within my 3 month warranty period.
SO, what is the most efficient way to replace the turbo? Just go to ye ol trusty euro shop I've used before that I know does good work and let them do what they see fits? Or use the need for a replacement as an excuse to upgrade to a Dinan or other higher performance turbo at a higher end shop? The cost difference of a replacement turbo and a dinan big turbo doesn't seem to be more than a hundred or 2 $'s, would I need more parts to accommodate the big turbo or something similar?
Excuse my noviceness, I am but a mere big dumb dummy. But please help me.
      05-04-2022, 08:31 PM   #2
714BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by el diablito View Post
Greetings. Just got a wonderful M235i about a month ago and have noticed a weird sound on acceleration... a whine and not a whir/whistle of the turbo. My googling tells me this is the sign of a dying turbo. A few other quirks have led me to believe this is the problem (rare boost lag, subpar performance). The car still runs fine most of the time, but I'd like to get this figured out within my 3 month warranty period.
SO, what is the most efficient way to replace the turbo? Just go to ye ol trusty euro shop I've used before that I know does good work and let them do what they see fits? Or use the need for a replacement as an excuse to upgrade to a Dinan or other higher performance turbo at a higher end shop? The cost difference of a replacement turbo and a dinan big turbo doesn't seem to be more than a hundred or 2 $'s, would I need more parts to accommodate the big turbo or something similar?
Excuse my noviceness, I am but a mere big dumb dummy. But please help me.
Have you noticed any smoke coming out of the exhaust? How many miles on the car? Tuned or modified in anyway? Symptoms sound more related to a boost leak to me rather than a turbo
      05-05-2022, 09:06 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Get the turbo yourself from a vendor online, that's the cheapest way.

Then take it to any good shop and they can install it without any problems.

You do not need any additional parts to run a bigger turbo but it's recommended to get your basic bolt-ons to make more power with the new turbo.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 11:16 AM   #4
el diablito
Tire Eating Consultant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 714BMW View Post
Have you noticed any smoke coming out of the exhaust? How many miles on the car? Tuned or modified in anyway? Symptoms sound more related to a boost leak to me rather than a turbo
No smoke, just a hair over 80,000 miles. modified exhaust but I think that's it. What would remedy a boost leak?
      05-05-2022, 11:17 AM   #5
el diablito
Tire Eating Consultant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Get the turbo yourself from a vendor online, that's the cheapest way.

Then take it to any good shop and they can install it without any problems.

You do not need any additional parts to run a bigger turbo but it's recommended to get your basic bolt-ons to make more power with the new turbo.
Thanks!
      05-05-2022, 12:02 PM   #6
714BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by el diablito View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 714BMW View Post
No smoke, just a hair over 80,000 miles. modified exhaust but I think that's it. What would remedy a boost leak?
Any shop should be able to do a smoke test to look for boost leaks. I'd probably at least rule that possibly out before going to a new turbo. If the car is on a stock charge pipe there is a good chance that might have blown off as those are a common failure point in our cars that would cause a massive boost leak.