THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Intercoolers - just for performance or also for longevity?

04-24-2022, 11:01 AM   #1
DBinOC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95 M3; M235i

Intercoolers - just for performance or also for longevity?

At 45k miles, I am about to do the recommended charge pipe replacement, but was wondering if, for a car I plan to keep to 100k or more, if it is worth doing the intercooler, too? This car isn't tracked and rarely sees RPMs > 6k and is running a stock tune.

But, I am in sunny SoCal, so if I can improve the longevity of the engine, another ~$500 for a better intercooler definitely seems worth it.

Thanks for your opinions/assistance.

DBinOC
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2022, 11:33 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

in theory, it helps with longevity since it keeps the temps lower but i have not seen any data comparing the 2 options.

If you are planning to keep the car for a long time, its probably worth it to invest in a 5" intercooler like MAD, BMS or CTS

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 05:42 PM   #3
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

In all honestly its going to keep intake air temps around 20-30 deg cooler on avg. The car will Run slightly less boost to make the same hp and it will maintain power better as well.

No real proof it will extend the life of your engine or turbo at all but cooler temps are never a bad thing. Our intercooler is slightly under $500 and drops right in as well

https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-7-stepped...55-1-2-3-4-m2/
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 06:47 AM   #4
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
I upgraded mine because it gave me more consistent power since it was no longer heat soaked.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      04-26-2022, 11:53 AM   #5
DBinOC
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you, everyone. Sounds like a "might as well do it while you're in there" kind of thing.

And more consistent power is never a bad thing....

DBinOC
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 01:31 AM   #6
rtl32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Absolutely does increase a net reliability factor.

Honestly this would be really hard to test directly, since people willing to put intercoolers in are usually looking for performance and are obviously going to use that performance more = more load = more wear. But those people may also maintain more aggressively so maybe they will have better outcomes then turn key thoughtless drivers. Who knows.

However if we take other factors that are known to be better on an engine and apply them theoretically:

knock and high temps are bad for an engine. If the IC lowers temps and by doing so improves timing/reduces knock, then in the same car with the same variables, it would probably yield a better outcome.

An IC is basically a poor mans octane booster. It prevents the a/f mixture from becoming more unstable when the engine is putting out heat. This is definitely not a bad thing.

Do it. There is literally no downside other than the labor. You should also probably go full bolt on and put in a fuel pump and run ethanol and do your suspension too. I know it made me happy.
14' Alpine White M235i 6MT, BM3 Stg2+, VRSF DP-CP-FMIC, Dinan Muffler, GFB DV+, 3.5 bar MAP, Dorch Stg1 HPFP, NGK 97506, BM3 Flexfuel Kit, CDV delete, KW V3, EDC delete, Powerflex Camber LCA bushings, VMR 801 18x8.5/9.5 et45, Conti Extremecontact 235/265

Next step: M2 Competition or Manual Supra MKV build Summer 2022
Appreciate 3
Cos270608.50
MLJR235116.50
      06-02-2022, 11:22 AM   #7
DBinOC
Private First Class
Rep

Just as a follow-up, I did change the charge pipe and intercooler this last week with BMS pieces purchased from Extreme Powerhouse (thanks, Mike!)

After watching a lot of YouTube videos, it wasn't _too_ bad. Most don't remove the air intake, but I did just to get a better view of what was going on. I did feel this helped when it came time to remove the old charge pipe as I could see the obstacles.

Putting the new intercooler in was the hardest part - I tried for a couple hours to do it myself, but it only took about 15 minutes once I got my son to help me. In my mind, with the BMS unit at least, it's a 2-person job. Most YouTube videos show 2 people doing this for good reason.

Driving-wise, I don't feel a huge difference - there might be a _little_ more power, but I'm happier knowing I've got 2 parts that are going to last a lot longer than what was in there.

Thank you again to everyone for the feedback. I'm pretty happy overall given the cost and time involved.

DBinOC
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 02:09 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBinOC View Post
Just as a follow-up, I did change the charge pipe and intercooler this last week with BMS pieces purchased from Extreme Powerhouse (thanks, Mike!)

After watching a lot of YouTube videos, it wasn't _too_ bad. Most don't remove the air intake, but I did just to get a better view of what was going on. I did feel this helped when it came time to remove the old charge pipe as I could see the obstacles.

Putting the new intercooler in was the hardest part - I tried for a couple hours to do it myself, but it only took about 15 minutes once I got my son to help me. In my mind, with the BMS unit at least, it's a 2-person job. Most YouTube videos show 2 people doing this for good reason.

Driving-wise, I don't feel a huge difference - there might be a _little_ more power, but I'm happier knowing I've got 2 parts that are going to last a lot longer than what was in there.

Thank you again to everyone for the feedback. I'm pretty happy overall given the cost and time involved.

DBinOC
Im glad to hear that, congrats

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 01:23 PM   #9
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:

DBinOC
Out of curiosity, what made the intercooler install difficult? I did my charge pipe earlier this year and had a hard time getting it to seat properly against the throttle body housing (a step that no one in any tutorial seemed to have difficulty with). When I was looking at the intercooler, I thought it looked very straightforward to remove and replace, if/when the time comes.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 06:20 PM   #10
DBinOC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
Out of curiosity, what made the intercooler install difficult? I did my charge pipe earlier this year and had a hard time getting it to seat properly against the throttle body housing (a step that no one in any tutorial seemed to have difficulty with). When I was looking at the intercooler, I thought it looked very straightforward to remove and replace, if/when the time comes.
Most aftermarket intercoolers are about 1" deeper than stock. Add the additional height and things get kind of tight. There is also a plastic/rubber extension from the bottom of the bumper that you have to pull out of the way. In some videos, they trimmed it or cut it.

On the BMS and some other similar units, there are "wings" on the sides of the intercooler that have to go into the correct plastic groove on either side, otherwise the mounting screw won't line up correctly. In fact, these guys show you what happens when you miss (fast forward to the 13:25 mark):

So, between pulling the rubber out of the way, trying to line up the wings, and getting the connection points for the turbo pipe and charge pipe lined up, my 2 hands weren't enough. Once I added 2 more hands (and other set of eyes to be sure each side lined up correctly), it was 15 minutes and it was in.

Obviously, a lot of people on this forum have replaced theirs already, so maybe it was just me....wouldn't be the first time.

DBinOC
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      06-03-2022, 06:58 PM   #11
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i

Quote:
Most aftermarket intercoolers are about 1" deeper than stock. Add the additional height and things get kind of tight. There is also a plastic/rubber extension from the bottom of the bumper that you have to pull out of the way. In some videos, they trimmed it or cut it.

On the BMS and some other similar units, there are "wings" on the sides of the intercooler that have to go into the correct plastic groove on either side, otherwise the mounting screw won't line up correctly. In fact, these guys show you what happens when you miss (fast forward to the 13:25 mark):

So, between pulling the rubber out of the way, trying to line up the wings, and getting the connection points for the turbo pipe and charge pipe lined up, my 2 hands weren't enough. Once I added 2 more hands (and other set of eyes to be sure each side lined up correctly), it was 15 minutes and it was in.

Obviously, a lot of people on this forum have replaced theirs already, so maybe it was just me....wouldn't be the first time.

DBinOC
I ran into the same issue you did, and I have stock FMIC currently with upgraded charge pipe. Still was a pain in the ass to maneuver with only 2 hands. After struggling for an absurd amount of time, I called a friend over and we had it in place in 10 mins. Really does take an extra set of hands.

Also, no one tells you there is a 'Dowel-pin' on the intercooler outlet that needs to line up with the pipe coupler other wise it won't sit flush.

after realizing this was why it was so hard to get back in by myself - it went by so much easier once lined up.
Appreciate 3
Cos270608.50
DBinOC46.00
ggggbmw432.50
      06-11-2022, 02:46 PM   #12
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by atek View Post
Also, no one tells you there is a 'Dowel-pin' on the intercooler outlet that needs to line up with the pipe coupler other wise it won't sit flush.
I only saw one video where they mentioned the alignment pin on the intercooler/charge-pipe connection. Wish I remembered who, so I could give attribution.

Also, after struggling with the charge pipe removal for 15 minutes, I just said the heck with it and cut the old plastic charge pipe. It was going in the trash anyway, and it made it SO easy to remove once I had it cut nearly in half. Didn't even have to cut all the way through. Just half way and it was flexible enough to bend a bit more and come right out. It's polyethylene, like a thick milk jug, and a sharp utility blade knife poked through it easily.

If you do cut it, BE CAREFUL. The power steering power cables and an AC hose are right there and could be hit if you slip.

Also, really think through the orientation of the clamps for the mid-point coupler. I ended up taking the top out 3 times before I got them right. (DOH!)
Appreciate 0