THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Screeching noise help ?

03-09-2022, 04:17 PM   #1
Edgarm8933
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Screeching noise help ?

So before I take it to the dealer I wanted to know if anybody here has had this same issue. I have a 2020 m240ix with 15k miles. I bought it almost a year ago and I've noticed when I accelerate, during the downshifts the car makes like a screeching noise. You can only hear it if I lower the window and no music playing because it's not super loud but it's noticeable. It's not the burbles by the way. It's like a psssss, psssss noise after accelerating as it downshifts.

Sorry if I sound like an idiot but that's as best as I can describe it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 08:59 AM   #2
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

I have heard a low level whine in mine during hard acceleration when the widow is down (or top F23). It seems to come from the transfer case area. I think it is normal as it has been there from day one.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 11:15 AM   #3
Edgarm8933
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler4 View Post
I have heard a low level whine in mine during hard acceleration when the widow is down (or top F23). It seems to come from the transfer case area. I think it is normal as it has been there from day one.
I'm not mechanically savvy but I've noticed it only happens when I put the car in sport mode. Comfort mode it's fine but when it's on sport mode it makes those pssss psss noises as I accelerate and downshift. It's kind of annoying. Just figured If I should take it to the dealer or if it's normal.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 06:47 PM   #4
zstokes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgarm8933 View Post
I'm not mechanically savvy but I've noticed it only happens when I put the car in sport mode. Comfort mode it's fine but when it's on sport mode it makes those pssss psss noises as I accelerate and downshift. It's kind of annoying. Just figured If I should take it to the dealer or if it's normal.
If it was only during acceleration, I'd say it was turbo whine/induction sound. Not sure what downshifts are all about.
      03-11-2022, 07:46 PM   #5
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
So before I take it to the dealer I wanted to know if anybody here has had this same issue. I have a 2020 m240ix with 15k miles. I bought it almost a year ago and I've noticed when I accelerate, during the downshifts the car makes like a screeching noise. You can only hear it if I lower the window and no music playing because it's not super loud but it's noticeable. It's not the burbles by the way. It's like a psssss, psssss noise after accelerating as it downshifts.

Wait is this a manual or auto?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 08:42 PM   #6
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
The OP indicates it is an M240ix, so must be an automatic.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 03:56 PM   #7
Edgarm8933
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
Quote:

It's an automatic and to update you guys. I called the bmw dealer and explained the situation and I was told it was normal, they said it's the pressure release valve ? They said I'm good. Idk but that noise is kind of annoying. I'll try to get some sound clips when I get a day off.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 01:26 PM   #8
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

And here I am hoping I can hear more psssss pssss from the turbo lol
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 03:15 PM   #9
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

This happened to me. I almost wound up changing trans fluid over this. It was driving me completely batshit crazy. I bet its the same thing, read these two:

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1411349

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1848889

LMK if you need further help diagnosing.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2022, 04:21 PM   #10
Edgarm8933
Enlisted Member
Rep

So it's not the exhaust valve actuator thing for me. I don't have that noise. It's sounds more like air screeching. It's hard to describe (psss) and it's not a turbo noise which sounds nice. This sounds annoying . It's only when I moderately/aggressively step on it and as it downshifts. I apologize I haven't put a video of the noise as I'm freaking busy with work.

When I spoke to the bmw advisor he seemed confident it's normal (even tho it's an annoying sound).

I'm going to get an oil change soon at my local bmw shop and I'll ask them for their opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 05:10 PM   #11
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Under full throttle, there will be an air rushing noise when excess turbo pressure is vented.

With the B58 engine there is no traditional blow off or diverter valve for this, it is a combination of wastegate and electronic throttle flap control that is used to avoid over-pressure. You will potentially get whistling at the wastegate if it is not fully open and being used for this pressure control mode.

It may be more worrying if there is no sound from pressure relief, indicating a jammed wastegate and potential over-pressure issues.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00