THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Ignition Timing Corrections and Knocks

03-06-2022, 04:54 PM   #1
toastmybagel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Ignition Timing Corrections and Knocks

Hey all,

A while ago I posted about some concerns I had with my ignition timing corrections on BM3 ACN91 Stage 1. My main concern was that I was noticing knocks at WOT on almost all of my pulls, and my ignition timing was all over the place after 3500RPM. I flashed back to the OEM map until I was able to get some new plugs and coils

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. New Bosch plugs on the stock gap, new Bosch coils, and Shell V-Power 91 octane and back to BM3 ACN91 Stage 1. Got to log some third gear pulls on relatively cool days and boom! Knock is gone at WOT. My only concern now is that I am pulling some gnarly timing at higher RPMS at WOT. I have been digging and digging on forums, youtube, reddit, PTF blogs, etc. to see if there are any answers as to what might be causing these timing pulls. Most of the posts I found boiled down to bad gas. Being in CA, the gas (even top-tier) is complete garbage. People were saying to use octane boosters, to add a gallon of e85 to a full tank, or even just switching gas stations.

To be completely honest, I rarely drive my car like a mad man, and the only time I actually do any sort of pull is when I am doing these datalogs. My question is: is it okay for me to continue to drive with this ACN91 Stage 1 tune if I am pulling timing? Push comes to shove, I flash back to stock tune, get a FMIC and then try again.

Logs:
https://datazap.me/u/toastmybagel/ac...1?log=0&data=6

https://datazap.me/u/toastmybagel/ac...1-21522-pull-2

https://datazap.me/u/toastmybagel/ac...l?log=0&data=6

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 01:17 PM   #2
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

What kind of intake are you running? My recommendation is to use MHD to reset the adaptations for MAF, Fuel and A/F see if that helps.

Edit - some other notes

You never go 100% throttle
Your logs are really too short, start 2500 in 3rd gear and hold it until redline
Just slight timing pulls at top end, likely due to fuel, doing a gallon of E85 may help this
It's safe to drive

Last edited by AmuroRay; 03-07-2022 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 1