THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Charge pipe clip retainers: Necessary or not?

03-05-2022, 07:51 PM   #1
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

Charge pipe clip retainers: Necessary or not?

I've purchased a Turner cold side pipe to replace the shattered plastic pipe on my wife's M235i. Everything has gone well so far, aside from the missing clip at the TB which probably went out on the higher along with half of the top collar on the pipe.
Then I run into those plastic retainers at the IC. After pulling the one off the bottom of the charge pipe I can't figure out how to get it installed on the Turner adapter. Or do I even have to reuse them? The Turner PDF says they have to be removed in order to get the metal clips off the old pipes, but it doesn't say anything about reusing them, just placing the clips on the pipes to lock them to the adapters. Yet I've watched several DIY videos and they all reuse the retainers, but don't show any detail on how to make them work.

So for the guys who've done the charge pipe install, whats the story on these retainers?
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 07:03 AM   #2
1more1
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT EB

You definitely need that retaining clip at the top otherwise the charge pipe will blow off again.

I think you only need the metal retaining clip at the IC, not the plastic.

Also don't forget the o-ring on both ends.
Appreciate 2
selbyp93163.50
Freiheit492.00
      03-06-2022, 09:39 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1more1 View Post
You definitely need that retaining clip at the top otherwise the charge pipe will blow off again.

I think you only need the metal retaining clip at the IC, not the plastic.

Also don't forget the o-ring on both ends.
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 10:43 AM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

You do not need to install the plastic clip, only the metal c-clips at the intercooler and throttle body connections are needed. Most aftermarket charge pipe designs do not allow for use of the plastic clip.
Appreciate 3
MLJR235116.50
Freiheit492.00
Cos270608.50
      03-17-2022, 10:11 AM   #5
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the responses, for some reason I didn't receive a notification that anyone had answered me.

I ordered the clip from ECS and finally had a chance to put it on this morning. The pipe blew back off. I tried to reseat it as best I could and I think its going to stay this time, but I have doubts. The pipe only gets close enough to fit in one position, and its contacting the back of the AC compressor bracket which is why its hard to seat. I contacted ECS and told them about it and they admitted the Turner pipe is a tight fit. If I had to do this over again I'd pick a different pipe.
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 01:47 PM   #6
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiheit View Post
Thanks for the responses, for some reason I didn't receive a notification that anyone had answered me.

I ordered the clip from ECS and finally had a chance to put it on this morning. The pipe blew back off. I tried to reseat it as best I could and I think its going to stay this time, but I have doubts. The pipe only gets close enough to fit in one position, and its contacting the back of the AC compressor bracket which is why its hard to seat. I contacted ECS and told them about it and they admitted the Turner pipe is a tight fit. If I had to do this over again I'd pick a different pipe.
They (ecstuning / turner) sell our brand that fits perfect if you can get an exchange somehow.

Only the metal c clips and o-rings are needed for the aftermarket CP install.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 09:46 AM   #7
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
They (ecstuning / turner) sell our brand that fits perfect if you can get an exchange somehow.
Thanks for the info on another option. I eventually got this thing to seal up but it was a terrible fight. It required tightening, loosening, twisting, then tightening again at each of the t-clamps. And with the car on ramps and me laying on the garage floor, there's no way to get any kind of leverage on anything.

I'm just wondering who designed it. The aluminum elbow at the throttle body is the culprit. It hugs the block and anything else near it, ignoring at least three inches of space near the wheel well. The elbow contacts the bracket on the back of the AC compressor. There is absolutely only one way for that elbow to sit, so I know I didn't install it incorrectly.

I can state for certain that anyone who is thinking of getting the TMS pipe should avoid it and get anything else available.
Appreciate 2