THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Turner Motorsport Rear Shift Bushing

03-04-2022, 11:39 AM   #1
SpencerC_6MT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M240I  [0.00]
Turner Motorsport Rear Shift Bushing

Recently I've been looking at low-cost minor upgrades to improve my car's (M240i 6MT) driving experience without really digging deep, since I want to get used to doing DIY work by starting with small jobs. I don't have experience with manuals besides my car, but I've heard that BMW manuals don't tend to be the most direct. I'm not comfortable with doing a full short-shift kit yet, but I noticed that a simple shifter bushing swap is cheap and relatively easy to install. I know you get what you pay for and all, but do you get 1/4 the value for 1/4 the price? Does anyone have experience with doing just a bushing swap?

I'll update with results if I go through with it.
Appreciate 1
Resoelg238.00
      03-21-2022, 08:29 PM   #2
SpencerC_6MT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M240I  [0.00]
Well I promised results, even if no one showed interest

The install was a bit more of a PITA than I bargained for, mostly due to the exhaust heat shielding. The odd shape and oval exhaust shape meant I couldn't get the heat shielding panel off without unbolting half the car. As a result, I just bit the bullet and bent it out of the way to reach above the driveshaft. Thankfully all it took to reach that point was an 8mm, 10mm, and 13mm hex drive socket. Unbolting the bushing was a bit difficult, since I didn't have full access (bent the panel out of the way, couldn't remove it) but got it off in the end. Once the new part was installed, I just buttoned everything back up and went for a ride.

For $100 you get what you pay for; the effect wasn't radical, though definitely satisfying. It didn't eliminate much of that side-to-side movement in gear, which was disappointing, but putting it in gear has a subtly stronger 'click' sensation, and it's more confidence-inspiring when shifting gears. Overall, if you have a couple hours and a bit of patience, I think it's worth the low cost of admission.
Appreciate 2
      03-21-2022, 10:49 PM   #3
Resoelg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 ZV-Blue

Garage List
24 G87  [10.00]
Hey thanks for the write up. I was considering this upgrade when I had my '17 m240 on the lift to put the summer tires on. I appreciate your input.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 11:51 AM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermelon3878 View Post
Well I promised results, even if no one showed interest

The install was a bit more of a PITA than I bargained for, mostly due to the exhaust heat shielding. The odd shape and oval exhaust shape meant I couldn't get the heat shielding panel off without unbolting half the car. As a result, I just bit the bullet and bent it out of the way to reach above the driveshaft. Thankfully all it took to reach that point was an 8mm, 10mm, and 13mm hex drive socket. Unbolting the bushing was a bit difficult, since I didn't have full access (bent the panel out of the way, couldn't remove it) but got it off in the end. Once the new part was installed, I just buttoned everything back up and went for a ride.

For $100 you get what you pay for; the effect wasn't radical, though definitely satisfying. It didn't eliminate much of that side-to-side movement in gear, which was disappointing, but putting it in gear has a subtly stronger 'click' sensation, and it's more confidence-inspiring when shifting gears. Overall, if you have a couple hours and a bit of patience, I think it's worth the low cost of admission.
Thanks for posting. I picked the part up last December while on TMS' site for something else and imagined that it would probably make the kind of difference that you're describing. It's still in a box with other parts that are waiting to be installed.

I saw that Turner's got a short shift kit now, too. Along with stiffer transmission bushings, all three modifications might turn the shifting experience into something more positive than the slightly vague shifting of the stock parts.
Appreciate 2
Resoelg238.00
WolfGTI716.00