THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M240i Rattle after Downpipe Install

03-31-2020, 11:12 PM   #1
brandonfrancom2
Rep
Drives: m240i

M240i Rattle after Downpipe Install

Hi all.

I just installed a Catless DP (VRSF) on my M240i.

The car is performing as normal, or even better.

The issue is that on cold start, I hear a very loud metallic rattling/ticking sound, as if there's 50 metal BB's inside the DP. I confirmed the downpipe is not shaking, or rattling on any metal/shielding that's nearby. It only happens on the initial cold start, not when revving the car after it's finished the cold start cycle.

If I shut the car back off and turn it on again, the same thing happens until the "cold start" is over. Any ideas? It doesn't sound like a wastegate issue nor is it the exhaust flaps in the back, it is 100% coming from the DP area.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 01:31 AM   #2
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonfrancom2 View Post
Hi all.

The issue is that on cold start, I hear a very loud metallic rattling/ticking sound, as if there's 50 metal BB's inside the DP. I confirmed the downpipe is not shaking, or rattling on any metal/shielding that's nearby. It only happens on the initial cold start, not when revving the car after it's finished the cold start cycle.

If I shut the car back off and turn it on again, the same thing happens until the "cold start" is over. Any ideas? It doesn't sound like a wastegate issue nor is it the exhaust flaps in the back, it is 100% coming from the DP area.
Maybe VRSF is particularly popular, but this forum has another thread with a CEL after VRSF. There is a reason why some downpipes are $1600 and some are $400. I don't know.

Posting here to keep an eye on this thread. Sorry about this issue!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 02:20 AM   #3
Sonertial
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M240i 6MT

I have something similar with a Wagnar 300 cpi Downpipe.

It's not hugely obnoxious, but was the first thing I noticed on installing the downpipe. As you say, it's only on cold start.

It made me worry that something was loose, and so I over tightened the clamp holding the DP to the turbo. Now the clamp has seized and I can't get it off, the nut spins in it's holder. I have bought a new clamp and will cut the old one off when I get an opportunity. I want to test the stock downpipe to see if the noise is still there, and then try catless.

My theory has been that it's the waste-gate rattling with the reduced back pressure. That or some kind of acoustic resonance effect in the DP. If you modulate the throttle the tiniest amount, it stops.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 09:37 AM   #4
JD11937
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

Check that your mid pipe isn't hitting the cross brace, the tolerances are pretty close. But that would be coming more from rear of the car. Also exhaust flap has been known to rattle.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 10:06 AM   #5
alyabiev
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition Touring

This "rattle" is just the typical exhaust sound when ignition timing is retarded due to cold start.
      04-01-2020, 12:32 PM   #6
brandonfrancom2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonertial View Post
I have something similar with a Wagnar 300 cpi Downpipe.

It's not hugely obnoxious, but was the first thing I noticed on installing the downpipe. As you say, it's only on cold start.

It made me worry that something was loose, and so I over tightened the clamp holding the DP to the turbo. Now the clamp has seized and I can't get it off, the nut spins in it's holder. I have bought a new clamp and will cut the old one off when I get an opportunity. I want to test the stock downpipe to see if the noise is still there, and then try catless.

My theory has been that it's the waste-gate rattling with the reduced back pressure. That or some kind of acoustic resonance effect in the DP. If you modulate the throttle the tiniest amount, it stops.

Good point about the waste gate being an issue, as throttle completely stops the issue. Really hoping for a solution here. I do not think it's the pipes themselves rattling.

It's super odd. I'm debating bringing it into a highly rated BMW mechanic and having them diagnose, but I'd rather not spend $200 or more.

EDIT: So I found an exhaust leak from midpipe to DP. fixing and will see if rattle persists. I would assume it will stay.

Last edited by brandonfrancom2; 04-01-2020 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 07:06 AM   #7
Mathew Miles
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive MWM

Quote:
Good point about the waste gate being an issue, as throttle completely stops the issue. Really hoping for a solution here. I do not think it's the pipes themselves rattling.

It's super odd. I'm debating bringing it into a highly rated BMW mechanic and having them diagnose, but I'd rather not spend $200 or more.

EDIT: So I found an exhaust leak from midpipe to DP. fixing and will see if rattle persists. I would assume it will stay.

Did the VRSF DP make contact with the metal under tray? I installed mine (catless version) and was not able to get it seated without it making contact with the tray. I will have to try adjusting it again sometime soon. Everything else seems fine. No leaks.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 01:40 PM   #8
brandonfrancom2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew Miles View Post
Did the VRSF DP make contact with the metal under tray? I installed mine (catless version) and was not able to get it seated without it making contact with the tray. I will have to try adjusting it again sometime soon. Everything else seems fine. No leaks.
Did you reuse the standard clamp to connect the mp to the dp? I have to go to a shop today to get it unwelded and a new clamp in place.

I’m not sure what you mean by metal tray. There was one thin metal support bar running right under it I moved for installation, which after reinstalling has a decent bit of clearance.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 12:39 AM   #9
Silvergram120i
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 120i

I have the same problem, look the video

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 12:09 PM   #10
andres.psm
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Hello, there is a solución for this sound?
I have the same sound from I installed vrsf catless downpipe to my m235i.
Today I change the DP to MP clamp for a new one thinking that would be the solution. But the sound persist.
I think that could be the turbo to DP gasket. I hope no.

Here is a video with the sound. Only exist in idlle.

Last edited by andres.psm; 09-26-2020 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #11
HarryCoyote
HarryCoyote
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWM2C

Start up exhaust sound

I have a 2017 M240i with a Dinan tune and a Dinan midpipe and a Dinan Muffler. All was good for about a two years then I am having the same issue with the sound at start up. It sounds like the exhaust is hitting the bottom cross over or tattling against something. I am not sure what the problem is either. I have had it back to BMW and they state the pipes are all tight. Let me know if you figure it out and I will do likewise.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 10:06 PM   #12
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW m240i

99.9% your midpipe was twisted on install and is hitting the cross brace.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 12:39 PM   #13
Kobylash
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp 6MT

I have the VRSF downpipe on my M240i xDrive and it does come into contact with the metal plate near where the exhaust connects to it. I've tried to fix it and it improved but I still get it if the car is stopped on an upward slope or if I put my foot to the floor while cruising.

One thing to note is I believe that metal plate is only on the xDrive model, not the RWD.

I've pretty much given up on fixing it and am considering ordering a downpipe with the bracket and better fitment (ER is my current choice).
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 05:45 PM   #14
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

My Active Autowerkes Catted was a seamless and quiet install. It was $1K though
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 11:08 AM   #15
Kobylash
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobylash View Post
I have the VRSF downpipe on my M240i xDrive and it does come into contact with the metal plate near where the exhaust connects to it. I've tried to fix it and it improved but I still get it if the car is stopped on an upward slope or if I put my foot to the floor while cruising.

One thing to note is I believe that metal plate is only on the xDrive model, not the RWD.

I've pretty much given up on fixing it and am considering ordering a downpipe with the bracket and better fitment (ER is my current choice).
Thought I'd post an update on this issue, turns out the ER downpipe makes even more contact with the plate. However, the ER pipe comes with a set of washers to shim the plate (not that they mention what these are for anywhere in their install instructions). With these installed I have no issues.

On the note of ER vs VRSF the ER pipe definitely seems to be much higher quality. Better welds, nicer flex pipe section, better bends. And I do feel better having that bracket even if it wasn't the source of my plate contact rattle.

So for anyone with an xDrive model assume you will have to shim this plate for proper clearance.
Appreciate 1
Mehim76.50
      04-24-2022, 11:32 AM   #16
xthiagodias87
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6

Downpipe noise on morning start!

Hi andres.psm, you solved The problem?
I have this too

Quote:
Originally Posted by andres.psm View Post
Hello, there is a solución for this sound?
I have the same sound from I installed vrsf catless downpipe to my m235i.
Today I change the DP to MP clamp for a new one thinking that would be the solution. But the sound persist.
I think that could be the turbo to DP gasket. I hope no.

Here is a video with the sound. Only exist in idlle.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 01:10 PM   #17
seanroberts000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobylash View Post

FWIW, I ordered the CTS high-flow downpipe -- zero issues with fitment or rattle, and it was in the VRSF price range.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 05:47 PM   #18
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Don't have any rattles with our downpipe. You sure its not touching anywhere or its not the valves themselves?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 10:38 AM   #19
NewWorldOrder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240ix vert

Quote:
Hi all.

The exhaust is touching something underneath. Had the same issue when I installed the Remus. Just had to move the exhaust over a bit, and I haven't heard the sound since.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 02:26 PM   #20
jLona240
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [9.00]
Quote:
Hi all.

Just wondering if you found a solution?

I installed my AA downpipe and I have a rattle sound on cold start that stops after the cold start cycle.

I'm guessing my midpipe is hitting the rear support brace?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 01:21 AM   #21
BMW335l
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i, GTI MK5, Corolla TTE

I also have a rattle on cold start that I can hear when Im driving as well. Any idea what this can be?
I had rattle before DP install, and I guess the catless DP just makes the rattle louder. I first thought it was the exhaust valve, but I changed it without success. It sounds like the rattle is coming from the middle of the car.
https://youtube.com/shorts/Rj9Ch3rIdkA?feature=share

Last edited by BMW335l; 09-15-2022 at 05:01 AM..
Appreciate 0