THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning n55 6MT clutch slippage?

04-21-2022, 10:40 PM   #1
mjmurphy9
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Angry n55 6MT clutch slippage?

Hey there, I have a 2016 M235i with a 6 speed manual and I'm curious if anyone here has experienced any issues with throttle completely jumping and then catching again under acceleration. I will try to attach a video. I have read that this is probably the clutch slipping, but I've also heard it could be overboosting.
I have a catless downpipe, upgraded chargepipe, high flow air filter (prob useless) and VRSF muffler delete, I am on Bootmod3 stage 1 93 oct. I have had the car for around 2 months and did not experience this issue until I tuned it. 67k miles.

https://youtube.com/shorts/LWq8pmDzjQM?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 10:28 AM   #2
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

certainly looks like clutch slip, but i am surprised it is happening at "10%" throttle. confirm the issue by going back to stock tune, and try same thing in same gear. if no problem, then try at 100% throttle on stock tune.
      04-22-2022, 01:41 PM   #3
MLJR235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235I

At 67k miles, that clutch if original , is probably near the end of its useful life.

You got it 2 months ago you said? Unless you know the clutch was babied and taken well care of before, it may be well worn at this point. Sucks for sure but as any manual driver should know, the clutch is a wear item. It will need to be replaced at some point if you plan on long term ownership.

You might want to look into a more robust kit to handle the added power.
      04-22-2022, 02:41 PM   #4
mjmurphy9
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedposter View Post
certainly looks like clutch slip, but i am surprised it is happening at "10%" throttle. confirm the issue by going back to stock tune, and try same thing in same gear. if no problem, then try at 100% throttle on stock tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJR235 View Post
At 67k miles, that clutch if original , is probably near the end of its useful life.

You got it 2 months ago you said? Unless you know the clutch was babied and taken well care of before, it may be well worn at this point. Sucks for sure but as any manual driver should know, the clutch is a wear item. It will need to be replaced at some point if you plan on long term ownership.

I ordered the clutch from the 550/335is, so that should do it. It barely happens on stock tune but that's because it makes like 100 less torque lol
Appreciate 1
MLJR235116.50
      04-22-2022, 03:13 PM   #5
MLJR235
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmurphy9 View Post
I ordered the clutch from the 550/335is, so that should do it. It barely happens on stock tune but that's because it makes like 100 less torque lol
lol I bet.. . All us manual guys are on the same boat.. I myself was looking into a "stage 2" or "3" clutch with lightweight flywheel.. I know it may be less than ideal for daily but it sounds like a decent tradeoff for the benefits.
      04-23-2022, 07:52 AM   #6
designatedposter
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Good choice. I've got the same clutch and running the stage 2+ race gas tune no problems. On m235i n55
      05-05-2022, 06:35 PM   #7
Meow235i
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJR235 View Post

Could you list the part nummer for the clutch. My clutch is also sliping and need to get another. Is it the LUK clutch?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 04:10 AM   #8
viceroy172
Registered
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i Coupe 6M/T

I'm experiencing this exact same thing on my '15 M235i w/ 55k miles.
Mods are catless DP, upgraded chargepipe, MPE and BM3 stage 1 91Oct.
Slip occurs at about 50% throttle on mine though.

Barely drive the car, but need to get sorted with a new clutch. Just miffed with the price of a new DMF.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Q1UKTUTMiDA?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 10:50 PM   #9
mjmurphy9
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow235i View Post
Could you list the part nummer for the clutch. My clutch is also sliping and need to get another. Is it the LUK clutch?
Sorry for being MIA, I've been so fed up with shipping issues, let me explain myself.

TL;DR: I had the worst luck known to man and ended up having to spend around $1700 for a clutch and flywheel, before install, instead of the sub-$400 335is clutch

At date of last post, I ordered the 335is/550i LUK clutch kit from ECS Tuning, waited about a month, with no sign of it shipping, so I got fed up and cancelled it.

I then ordered a Clutch Masters FX250 Stage 2 clutch kit from ECS Tuning, and learned that a DMF cannot be resurfaced like a traditional flywheel, so I bit the bullet on a Clutch Masters lightweight flywheel, because screw it, racecar. Another $800 down the drain.

Here we are today, and ECS Tuning has not shipped the clutch itself (but the flywheel was delivered a few days ago) so I have since cancelled the clutch, and ordered it directly from Clutch Masters, which cost around $950.

BUT, there is a ray of sunshine: After 2 months of waiting, I have been provided a tracking number for the clutch, and it is supposed to arrive next week.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 06:55 AM   #10
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Sorry for being MIA, I've been so fed up with shipping issues, let me explain myself.

TL;DR: I had the worst luck known to man and ended up having to spend around $1700 for a clutch and flywheel, before install, instead of the sub-$400 335is clutch

At date of last post, I ordered the 335is/550i LUK clutch kit from ECS Tuning, waited about a month, with no sign of it shipping, so I got fed up and cancelled it.

I then ordered a Clutch Masters FX250 Stage 2 clutch kit from ECS Tuning, and learned that a DMF cannot be resurfaced like a traditional flywheel, so I bit the bullet on a Clutch Masters lightweight flywheel, because screw it, racecar. Another $800 down the drain.

Here we are today, and ECS Tuning has not shipped the clutch itself (but the flywheel was delivered a few days ago) so I have since cancelled the clutch, and ordered it directly from Clutch Masters, which cost around $950.

BUT, there is a ray of sunshine: After 2 months of waiting, I have been provided a tracking number for the clutch, and it is supposed to arrive next week.
Unfortunately, sounds like par for the course with ECS. I never use them unless its a last resort.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 07:27 AM   #11
designatedposter
Captain
Rep

Quote:
here is the exact clutch i purchased. you can use this as reference for part number and research for a good vendor in your area.

(after a brief search, i did find multiple vendors offering a better price..)

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...603248#fitment
      06-16-2022, 08:39 AM   #12
mjmurphy9
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
here is the exact clutch i purchased. you can use this as reference for part number and research for a good vendor in your area.

(after a brief search, i did find multiple vendors offering a better price..)

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...603248#fitment
I ended up getting the clutch masters clutch and lightweight flywheel installed and I love it. Still breaking it in, but it drives really nice. Significantly different than stock, but still easily daily-drivable
Appreciate 1
MLJR235116.50
      06-29-2022, 02:37 PM   #13
MLJR235
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I ended up getting the clutch masters clutch and lightweight flywheel installed and I love it. Still breaking it in, but it drives really nice. Significantly different than stock, but still easily daily-drivable

Could you drop some info on what you got? My clutch is slipping more than a drunk guy at an ice rink and am starting to search upgraded clutch/flywheel options.

I was looking at Specclutch and they have ratcheting and non-ratcheting clutch options which I took as "self adjusting" or not?

In the end, I need something that can handle minimum 600ftlbs of torque and lightweight flywheel

Thank you
      06-29-2022, 04:43 PM   #14
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i

Quote:

Sounds about right with ECS. I ordered a tail light assembly from them that they said was IN STOCK and ready to ship next day

waited a whole 20 days of no shipping, not processed, contacted customer service and they were like, "yea its on the shelf waiting to get boxed and shipped should be today or tomorrow" another 5 days and nothing, so i cancelled. Ordered from Turner motorsport and got it in 3 days. Screw ECS.

Glad your new clutch from clutchmasters is working well for ya!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 04:46 PM   #15
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atek View Post
Quote:

Sounds about right with ECS. I ordered a tail light assembly from them that they said was IN STOCK and ready to ship next day

waited a whole 20 days of no shipping, not processed, contacted customer service and they were like, "yea its on the shelf waiting to get boxed and shipped should be today or tomorrow" another 5 days and nothing, so i cancelled. Ordered from Turner motorsport and got it in 3 days. Screw ECS.

Glad your new clutch from clutchmasters is working well for ya!
I hate ECS as much as the next guy, but you do know they own Turner, right?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 04:49 PM   #16
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
I hate ECS as much as the next guy, but you do know they own Turner, right?
Nope news to me. Turner is definitely managed better then.
Appreciate 0