THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning N55 Valvetronic Issues

03-31-2022, 10:21 AM   #1
lox
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

N55 Valvetronic Issues

Hey guys. Got a 2016 BMW M235i (N55) here, low on power/throttle response.

Getting error code: "135808 - Valvetronic servomotor position sensors, electrical, open circuit, shortcircuit: Malfunction".

Followed the test plan in ISTA+ which suggested to check and replace the servomotor and/or wiring harness.

So far I've replaced the servomotor (which has the built in hall effect position sensors) and checked continuity of wiring harness back to DME (pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, and so on, as well as pin 1 to pin 2, pin 1 to pin 3, and so on - so I'm fairly confident there are no breaks or cross-wire shorts inside the harness) - but still getting this error. No signs of water/oil ingress to harness.

Eccentric shaft seemed to move smoothly and easily when I replaced the servo motor.

Suspecting a faulty DME, but this is a big expense to follow through on a hunch. Not sure how much further I can take my troubleshooting before concluding?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 03:21 AM   #2
lox
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Interestingly, the same 135808 fault is still present even with the Valvetronic harness disconmected at the DME - this has to be a faulty DME surely?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 12:44 PM   #3
TANTON79
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lox View Post
Interestingly, the same 135808 fault is still present even with the Valvetronic harness disconmected at the DME - this has to be a faulty DME surely?
Any resolve to this issue? I have a 2011 N55 F25 X3 and same issue.
When the car is cold it has no problems until it warms up then the code pops. I can do the 20 minute relearn process but it fails around 250 cycles or so.

Thanks
Appreciate 0