THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Instrument Cluster Settings in iDrive Not Working?

03-26-2020, 08:13 AM   #1
ZGadson
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Instrument Cluster Settings in iDrive Not Working?

1 step forward, 2 steps backward. This is my life.

Last week I installed a CarPlay module from Amazon (this one) in my 2016 228i and it works great! I've been thrilled with it. However, I've since noticed that some of the settings in the iDrive system are doing odd things - or nothing at all. I'm not sure if it's a result of the module, or something I've f*ed up in BimmerCode, or if it's been like that but something just ain't right. (Instrument cluster is the original 6WA model. I'd like to upgrade to the 6WB cluster, but no plans to do that yet if I can't fix what I already have.)

What's wrong:
(1) The clock in the instrument cluster does not match the clock in iDrive. I can change the date/time in iDrive, but when I do, the instrument cluster clock does not follow suit. And when I go back into the date/time settings everything has reverted back to default, as if it's never been set.
(2) In the Instrument Cluster Settings section of the iDrive, NONE of the options will allow me to check the boxes to turn things on or off. When I click, the screen appears to know that I've clicked, but no check mark appears in any of the boxes. Date, Range, MPG, etc., none will accept a check mark.
(3) The Gong sound has also disappeared. The entire stock stereo system is still 100% operable with carplay module in place - I can listen to the radio, play CDs, etc., but no gong when the door is open or lights are left on.
(4) Probably more things I've just not noticed yet.

What I've tried:
(1) Reset function several times (press/hold volume knob forever) and it will reset but doesn't fix the problem.
(2) Reverted back to the original backup configuration in BimmerCode.
(3) Pull positive battery terminal cable for over an hour.

No dice.

My next step is to pull the CarPlay module to see if it's causing a data connection issue between iDrive and the instrument cluster, but was hoping someone might have some suggestions or other things to try before I tear into my car again. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by ZGadson; 03-26-2020 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 06:49 AM   #2
BMW-Pilot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F11 520, ex 2012 E91 320

@ ZGadson,

I am currently having the exact same issue with my F11 5 Series and was wondering if you found the problem and a fix?

My 5 series has had a similar Apple CarPlay module installed. It has worked perfectly since the install and still does. My car went in for a regular small service and they replaced some of the interior filters. When I brought the car in for service, I checked the Service needs and Check Control in iDrive but now they are blank. I have the exact same issues as you with iDrive data missing.

I have removed the Apple CarPlay unit and reconfigured all the cables as it was before but no such luck for now.

Hope you will be able to provide me with some more info. Thanks
      03-09-2021, 09:14 AM   #3
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

I'd unplug the device, and then reset iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 10:34 AM   #4
BMW-Pilot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F11 520, ex 2012 E91 320

Thanks but how would I reset the iDrive on an F11?

All I have found online was to hold the volume button but that doesn't work for me.

Thanks

Btw; I did some diagnostics using BimmerLink and noticed the "60 Instrument panel" ECU is not connecting/unable to read out. I am afraid that has something to do with it or possibly the MOST bus being corrupted.
      03-12-2021, 08:52 AM   #5
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

You need to hold the button down for at least 30 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 03:45 AM   #6
mrjackcross
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 (64) F11 5 Series 528i

Hi ZGadson and BMW-Pilot. I seem to be experiencing very similar issues after installing a CarPlay module. I no longer see iDrive Nav directions on my instrument cluster (I don’t have a HUD) and the iDrive time of arrival seems to set to a completely different time to my cluster too.

Did you ever manage to resolve the issues in your cars?

Cheers

Last edited by mrjackcross; 09-04-2021 at 03:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 04:39 PM   #7
agent
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGadson View Post
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-Pilot View Post
I am currently having the exact same issue with my F11 5 Series and was wondering if you found the problem and a fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjackcross View Post
I seem to be experiencing very similar issues after installing a CarPlay module.

Did you ever manage to resolve the issues in your cars?

ZGadson @BMW-Pilot mrjackcross

I am also experiencing this in my 2014 F10. There's surprisingly little info about this issue, at least that I've been able to find, and I'm no stranger to technology.

I reached out to Andream support and they advised me to upgrade, which I did, and it didn't help.

Has anyone solved this issue, or am I in for a costly visit to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 10:05 AM   #8
agent
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent View Post
I am also experiencing this in my 2014 F10. There's surprisingly little info about this issue, at least that I've been able to find, and I'm no stranger to technology.

I reached out to Andream support and they advised me to upgrade, which I did, and it didn't help.

Has anyone solved this issue, or am I in for a costly visit to the dealer?

Following up in case anyone with this issue stumbles across this thread...

I ended up pulling the head unit again and disconnected/reconnected the green optical cable, which appears to have solved the cluster issues.

I'm hoping a firmware update will resolve the backup camera not taking over when the MMI screen is in focus and reverse is selected. It works fine when the iDrive screen is in focus.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 01:13 PM   #9
agent
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent View Post
I'm hoping a firmware update will resolve the backup camera not taking over when the MMI screen is in focus and reverse is selected. It works fine when the iDrive screen is in focus.
Following up again...

There's a (very non-intuitive) setting within the MMI unit's reverse menu called "Reverse line detect." This must be set to "off" for the factory camera to display automatically when the MMI screen is in focus.
Appreciate 0