THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Order of operations for install.

03-10-2022, 11:08 AM   #1
Ianml
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Order of operations for install.

his weekend I plan on installing a turbo inlet, gfb diverter valve, turner fmic and piping kit, a catless dp, and catback(assuming it shows up on time) on my 2016 m235i.

To me a logical order of operations would be to remove intake and the ic and all piping, then move into the diverter and inlet install. After that I would work from the turbo towards the intake then do the fmic and the charge pipe, then do the dp/catback.

I would like input from those with more experience on this platform for some insight, maybe I'm overlooking something. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 07:03 AM   #2
rtl32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Sounds about right. All you're missing are beverages and music.

I've done all that except the inlet and boost pipe so someone else can weight in on that since I've heard the inlet is a royal PITA. DV and inlet should definitely be the first things in once you strip everything. Every mm counts on the DV.

Get some skinny socket extensions for the DV valve, I remember mine had two elbows/three sections for one of the bolts. It's that deep. Definitely unbolt the water pump and yank it to the side. IMO that was the hardest of them all.

Maybe do the IC install before the new boost pipe so that side is clear out of the way? But if the open IC space gives you needed room for the boost pipe turbo connection maybe do it in your order. Definitely helps to have a buddy push the plastic splash guard layers as you push the IC up and then hold the IC up as get the mounts done up.

If your OEM downpipe clamp bolt is facing the passenger side you can get great purchase on it from the front right wheel well right behind the LCA. I couldn't get mine from under, was cake from the side. Keep track of which sensor was which.

Gaskets. Check and recheck every original part for gaskets. The CP one is easy to miss, it blends with the plastic. And the one on the downpipe. There is one in there. It is needed.

Enjoy the identity crisis for the first week catless! It's LOUD.

P.S if your timing isn't clean when you flash first thing you need to check is plugs and maybe coils. These cars are very spark plug finicky. They like them fresh. I do mine every 10k like clockwork.
14' Alpine White M235i 6MT, BM3 Stg2+, VRSF DP-CP-FMIC, Dinan Muffler, GFB DV+, 3.5 bar MAP, Dorch Stg1 HPFP, NGK 97506, BM3 Flexfuel Kit, CDV delete, KW V3, EDC delete, Powerflex Camber LCA bushings, VMR 801 18x8.5/9.5 et45, Conti Extremecontact 235/265

Next step: M2 Competition or Manual Supra MKV build Summer 2022
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 09:16 AM   #3
Ianml
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Thanks for the insight, definitely refer back to here. And don't you worry about the music and drinks, they will be present. And about the sparkplugs I have new ones showing up today, so I'll be putting those in too. Oh the noise won't be an issue, before this, I had a 2016 focus st and the only thing that reduced exhaust noise was the resonator.
Appreciate 1
rtl3273.00
      03-12-2022, 09:02 AM   #4
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Process Sequence Matters

Well, I would review for possible ease of installation.
I replaced my downpipe independent of all the other operations you listed so I really don't think in matters where in the process that falls.
However, I did remove the Coolant tank and the cooler below it which gave me great access to the turbo inlet . I replaced the thermostat and water pump which did provide excellent access to the DV (I did not replace). Wrench Lab videos on Youtube do provide an excellent how-to on the 235i cars. I really had no plans on replacing the turbo inlet until I found the hard plastic pieces brittle and broken.
With the proper access it is really a straight forward job to R&R parts on the N55.
Appreciate 0