THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Bye Bye HK...

08-01-2020, 09:48 AM   #1
Jcoop901
Southern Fried
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [9.00]
Bye Bye HK...

I am finally getting around to ridding myself of the HK speakers and those blazing hard dome tweeters. I went with a set of Focal ES100K separates upfront, the usual JL c2 400x coaxials in the rear deck and, and a pair of Sundown SA-10 REV3 subs in a smallish sealed box wired to a Sundown SFB1000D running at 1 ohm. I am very pleased with the end result!

I also took a different approach with the center channel. I know the common thought is to totally disconnect it, but after listening in various configurations I decided to simply disconnect the overly bright tweeter and leave the midrange connected. This softens things up considerably, but still supplies a level of fill for the middle of the sound stage. It is a personal preference thing, so do what you like, but this is an option I have not seen discussed before.

I used Technics PnP add a sub harness and ASD eliminator to simplify the install. Sub amp is wired with 4 gauge OFC wiring.

These are a massive improvement over the HK's It's tricky mounting the crossover's but it is definitely a must to get the full benefit of the speakers. I left the tweeters flat, they can be set on +3 db's, 0, or -3db's via the crossovers. The mids can be set to full range or crossed at 100 hz. I crossed them since I have the bass pretty much sorted.

The tweeter's required a custom 3d printed ring to fit properly in the sails. Once fitted it was a simple snap-in installation. The set I ordered came with BMW 3 series adapter rings for the mids. These worked perfect. I bought a set of BMW wiring adapters off eBay to make the factory harness to Focal crossover connection.

The Sundown 10's are in a custom sealed box with .65 CF of space each. The box still leaves a good bit of the trunk useable. These 10's are wired up to an amazingly compact Sundown SFB100D amp providing around 1400 watts at 1 ohm

stock image here but the thing is tiny. Features low pass and high pass crossover as well as up to a 12db boost at 50 hz.

I mounted the bass knob by the parking brake with some industrial-grade velcro.

Last edited by Jcoop901; 08-01-2020 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: cleaned it up a bit
Appreciate 4
      08-30-2021, 05:11 AM   #2
jello
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: LCI M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [8.33]
May i ask where you exactly installed the crossover? and did you install using velcro?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 07:39 AM   #3
Jcoop901
Southern Fried
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jello View Post
May i ask where you exactly installed the crossover? and did you install using velcro?
I installed them inside the door frame above the speaker cutout. There is a bar that runs thru the door, and these sit right above that bar. Yes, I used Velcro Extreme outdoors rated up to 15 lbs and temp ranges of 0-140 degrees. I covered the entire back of the crossover housing and used a slightly larger patch against the door skin.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 08:02 AM   #4
jello
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [8.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoop901 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jello View Post
I installed them inside the door frame above the speaker cutout. There is a bar that runs thru the door, and these sit right above that bar. Yes, I used Velcro Extreme outdoors rated up to 15 lbs and temp ranges of 0-140 degrees. I covered the entire back of the crossover housing and used a slightly larger patch against the door skin.
Thank you so much for the response. So that location is far away from hitting the window? Sorry i can't visualize it yet since i haven't removed my door card. Should i be worried about potential water damage?

Also, anyway you can share the 3D print out of the bracket you made for the tweeter?

I'm actually installing my old 100krs and i'm trying to see if what i can do to make it happen for the stock tweeter location.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 08:56 AM   #5
Jcoop901
Southern Fried
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [9.00]
I will try to describe what you'll deal with behind the speaker cutout. Directly behind the cutout, you will have the window. If you look or feel toward the front of the car you will come to the window frame/guide. If you keep moving towards the front of the car you will notice an open area before you reach the front of the door. I mounted the crossover as I described then routed the wires thru the void around the window frame/guide. I used a plastic wire loom to bundle them together and keep everything neat.

I don't see any issue with water damage as there are various factory wires already running inside the door and I found no evidence of water or moisture inside the actual door. I've been running this setup for about a year now and I haven't had any issues. My car is a daily driver, so it's being exposed to all types of weather.

I bought the 3d rings from eBay. I'll post the link below. The tweeter rings work perfectly, but the rings for the mids will not work on an m240i.

Adapter Rings
https://www.ebay.com/itm/17371492662...53.m2749.l2649

Last edited by Jcoop901; 08-30-2021 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 04:19 AM   #6
jello
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [8.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoop901 View Post
I will try to describe what you'll deal with behind the speaker cutout. Directly behind the cutout, you will have the window. If you look or feel toward the front of the car you will come to the window frame/guide. If you keep moving towards the front of the car you will notice an open area before you reach the front of the door. I mounted the crossover as I described then routed the wires thru the void around the window frame/guide. I used a plastic wire loom to bundle them together and keep everything neat.

I don't see any issue with water damage as there are various factory wires already running inside the door and I found no evidence of water or moisture inside the actual door. I've been running this setup for about a year now and I haven't had any issues. My car is a daily driver, so it's being exposed to all types of weather.

I bought the 3d rings from eBay. I'll post the link below. The tweeter rings work perfectly, but the rings for the mids will not work on an m240i.

Adapter Rings
https://www.ebay.com/itm/17371492662...53.m2749.l2649
thank you so much sir!
Appreciate 1
Jcoop901138.50