THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Anything wrong with these plans?

07-29-2020, 08:27 AM   #1
TACP
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235I xDrive

Anything wrong with these plans?

My M235i is currently stock but my future plans are below and I'm looking for any feedback on possible damage to the car, if something else will need to be upgraded because of the increase in power, if any of the parts are no good or not going to perform good considering the other additions. After doing a lot of research from this site and many others I do believe this setup should work fine Thanks for any input.

***I know Dinan is over priced but I like the products.

VRSF - Catless Downpipe, Charge Pipe, and 5" HD intercooler

Bootmod3 - Stage 2

Dinan - CAI, Res Delete, and axle back exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 11:05 AM   #2
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

All looks good

HOWEVER - I WOULD BUILD IN STAGES.

The Cattless DP and exhaust may be loud enough.
I am only Stage 1 93 and think the car runs great -- and Still don't have a DP or Exhaust (my next 2 mods). Although - I plan to start with the Exhaust and could end there if the tone is perfect and even then I would only go Catted DP.
So - may I suggest progressing along with CP, IC , Exhaust & Tune (Stg 1) then see how the car is running. Ensure that your car can handle Stage 1.

Then when all is verified as good --- progress to DP, RES Delete, & STG 2 as necessary.

If all depends on your use for the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 12:07 PM   #3
MLJR235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACP View Post
My M235i is currently stock but my future plans are below and I'm looking for any feedback on possible damage to the car, if something else will need to be upgraded because of the increase in power, if any of the parts are no good or not going to perform good considering the other additions. After doing a lot of research from this site and many others I do believe this setup should work fine Thanks for any input.

Bootmod3 - Stage 2

That's a great list and I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the results. Although not really necessary to take your mods in stages, you should def "take it easy" + log when you first get it done and tuned. Make sure your car is running in optimal conditions before you really let 'er rip.

Another mod you may need to look at is a transmission flash? I'm manual but I think the autos benefit greatly from a flash to handle the added power, right?

Anyway, good luck and enjoy your transformed car
      07-29-2020, 02:43 PM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

You get what you pay for with the VRSF parts. Remember that.
      07-29-2020, 03:38 PM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Vert or convertible? Either way I'd suggest ER CP. DP I don't know never investigated. FMIC if convertible have to go with Active Autowerke nothing else will fit. Tune that's a longer discussion, but I've heard good things about the new Dinan flash. CAI definitely Dinan, rest are a waste of money. If not Dinan just upgrade your filter to AFE Dry Pro S.

Resonator delete - Dinan will not fit on convertible. Either way I'd skip it. I would also skip Dinan exhaust for a variety of reasons. 1. the valve actuator is just zip tied to your bumper, that's lazy engineering. 2. you can never swap the tips, if they get messed up you're stuck with them. I'd go with either AWE or MPE, and lean heavily towards AWE. That said you can get MPE for less if you get a used one, AWE doesn't pop up for sale very often.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 06:21 PM   #6
TACP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
You get what you pay for with the VRSF parts. Remember that.
I dont believe the CP VRSF will really matter as long as it isn't the stock CP lol. But are you referring to the DP or intercooler with your passive aggressive suggestion of cheap parts lol or both? I'm down for any recommendations if you have any. I'm new to tuning so my ears are wide open. However, I am not a drag or track every weekend guy. This thing will be on the track maybe 3 times a year and maybe once for Drag just for Sh!ts and gigs. I am also a very firm believe in you get what you pay for but knowing that my car won't get pushed to hard that often made me comfortable with the VRSF stuff. Please let me know if I should be looking at other stuff.

And for whomever was asking its a coupe. I have a fear of convertibles being 6'8" lol. Thank you everyone for your inputs.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 12:49 AM   #7
accs
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

I'd go with cts turbo over vrsf, I believe they are in the same price range
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 02:29 AM   #8
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
I dont believe the CP VRSF will really matter as long as it isn't the stock CP lol. But are you referring to the DP or intercooler with your passive aggressive suggestion of cheap parts lol or both? I'm down for any recommendations if you have any. I'm new to tuning so my ears are wide open. However, I am not a drag or track every weekend guy. This thing will be on the track maybe 3 times a year and maybe once for Drag just for Sh!ts and gigs. I am also a very firm believe in you get what you pay for but knowing that my car won't get pushed to hard that often made me comfortable with the VRSF stuff. Please let me know if I should be looking at other stuff.

And for whomever was asking its a coupe. I have a fear of convertibles being 6'8" lol. Thank you everyone for your inputs.
VRSF parts are often ill-fitting. You might get lucky, you might not with VRSF parts. I strongly suggest doing a Google search before deciding that the cheaper option is the way to go. Their catless DP doesn't have a support flange thus all the weight transfer of the cat back is on the turbo assembly. Additonally, there is very minimal power gained going catless and having to contend with exhaust odors and CELs. A quality DP goes a LONG way in terms of sound quality. VRSF charge pipes can fit wonky and rub other parts. The best lowest priced CP is from FTP.

Don't waste your money on the Dinan resonator, especially if you're adding a cat back and catless DP. Dear God will it be loud and raspy. Also, the Dinan tips will rust in the KS salty winters. The Dinan catback also hangs funky. The Dina CAI is alright but it has an oiled filter. You could buy the MPPK/M2 lower airbox and an AFE dry panel air filter and get nearly the same sound for half the price. The best sounding and fitting catback is the M Performance exhaust and sounds epic with a quality catted DP.

After nearly 25 years of modding cars, I'm a firm believer that if there is a factory performance part available, spend the money and get it. It will fit better and often perform better.

If you want an IC, you really need to research and learn about them. It will be overwhelming as there is not perfect IC. Bigger is not better. They have their compromises. All of them.
I'm stage 2 and live in KC. I don't track my car or do multiple back to back pulls so I see little need for an IC at this point. Stock does fine for my driving and I do get on it often. If I did an IC, I'd probably go with the cheapest CSF IC.
Appreciate 1
P253.00
      07-31-2020, 08:05 AM   #9
Heitzer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i; BMW S1000RR

The FTP charge pipe looks solid. Good advice as always XutvJet.

I was considering the Turner Motorsport option, in part because I have all my work done at Turner Service.
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...-complete-kit/

This kit has the cold and hot side pipe. Wonder if there is any advantage adding a hot side pipe? All I want is protection for a mild stage M2 0+ tune.

It recommends a plug for manual transmissions... newer seen that either.
      07-31-2020, 07:49 PM   #10
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heitzer View Post
The FTP charge pipe looks solid. Good advice as always XutvJet.

I was considering the Turner Motorsport option, in part because I have all my work done at Turner Service.
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...-complete-kit/

This kit has the cold and hot side pipe. Wonder if there is any advantage adding a hot side pipe? All I want is protection for a mild stage M2 0+ tune.

It recommends a plug for manual transmissions... newer seen that either.
I love Big ICs, so if you live in a hot area (like me) stock and stock sized ICs are not enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #11
Conr4d
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3M Competition

Quote:

Bootmod3 - Stage 2

If you are considering a catless down pipe with a Dinan Resonator Delete and Dinan Exhaust, I would strongly recommend finding someone in your area (if possible) running the same set-up to listen in person. Videos don’t quite do justice. I was skeptical at first, reading forums members complain about raspy exhaust tone with a resonator delete and catless down pipe, but I believe it is more of a problem with a muffler delete versus an axle back exhaust. Frankly, I think this is overblown just like those that complain about the strong smell of a catless down pipe, to each their own. I was still convinced that I wanted the resonator delete for my exhaust set-up. After much research and viewing several Youtube exhaust videos, I bit the bullet and ended up purchasing the Evolution Racewerks Catless Down Pipe/Dinan Resonator Delete/Dinan Exhaust. I was surprised to find that it didn’t sound raspy at all. Maybe my ears are different, but I am very pleased with the purchase. It is exactly the deep/exotic exhaust sound that I was looking and have received nothing but compliments from friends. The resonator delete really makes the Bootmod3 burbles aggressive and crispy! Exhaust sound is a very personal preference. At the end of the day it’s your car, do what makes you most happy!

Again, videos don’t quite do justice, but here are two sound clips of my set-up to give you an idea.

https://youtu.be/yEutWAQZDF8

https://youtu.be/2e5MHHANfAw

Last edited by Conr4d; 08-15-2020 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 05:35 PM   #12
Dynamic_m235
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i xDrive

Quote:

Bootmod3 - Stage 2

I wish I knew had to post videos of my car because I have the same exhaust set up your looking for, I drilled some holes in the dinan intakes air box to get more of the sound and it's amazing.. mods are good, but I'd go CSF for the fmic. They are the best when it comes to cooling
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 10:26 PM   #13
TACP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conr4d View Post
If you are considering a catless down pipe with a Dinan Resonator Delete and Dinan Exhaust, I would strongly recommend finding someone in your area (if possible) running the same set-up to listen in person. Videos don’t quite do justice. I was skeptical at first, reading forums members complain about raspy exhaust tone with a resonator delete and catless down pipe, but I believe it is more of a problem with a muffler delete versus an axle back exhaust. Frankly, I think this is overblown just like those that complain about the strong smell of a catless down pipe, to each their own. I was still convinced that I wanted the resonator delete for my exhaust set-up. After much research and viewing several Youtube exhaust videos, I bit the bullet and ended up purchasing the Evolution Racewerks Catless Down Pipe/Dinan Resonator Delete/Dinan Exhaust. I was surprised to find that it didn’t sound raspy at all. Maybe my ears are different, but I am very pleased with the purchase. It is exactly the deep/exotic exhaust sound that I was looking and have received nothing but compliments from friends. The resonator delete really makes the Bootmod3 burbles aggressive and crispy! Exhaust sound is a very personal preference. At the end of the day it’s your car, do what makes you most happy!

Again, videos don’t quite do justice, but here are two sound clips of my set-up to give you an idea.

https://youtu.be/yEutWAQZDF8

https://youtu.be/2e5MHHANfAw
Videos don't do jutice but your car still sounds amazing. I am going to hold off on the Res delete and see how it sounds. If its not what I want then I will try the delete.
Appreciate 1
Conr4d27.50
      08-28-2020, 12:36 AM   #14
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
VRSF parts are often ill-fitting. You might get lucky, you might not with VRSF parts. I strongly suggest doing a Google search before deciding that the cheaper option is the way to go. Their catless DP doesn't have a support flange thus all the weight transfer of the cat back is on the turbo assembly. Additonally, there is very minimal power gained going catless and having to contend with exhaust odors and CELs. A quality DP goes a LONG way in terms of sound quality. VRSF charge pipes can fit wonky and rub other parts. The best lowest priced CP is from FTP.

Don't waste your money on the Dinan resonator, especially if you're adding a cat back and catless DP. Dear God will it be loud and raspy. Also, the Dinan tips will rust in the KS salty winters. The Dinan catback also hangs funky. The Dina CAI is alright but it has an oiled filter. You could buy the MPPK/M2 lower airbox and an AFE dry panel air filter and get nearly the same sound for half the price. The best sounding and fitting catback is the M Performance exhaust and sounds epic with a quality catted DP.

After nearly 25 years of modding cars, I'm a firm believer that if there is a factory performance part available, spend the money and get it. It will fit better and often perform better.

If you want an IC, you really need to research and learn about them. It will be overwhelming as there is not perfect IC. Bigger is not better. They have their compromises. All of them.
I'm stage 2 and live in KC. I don't track my car or do multiple back to back pulls so I see little need for an IC at this point. Stock does fine for my driving and I do get on it often. If I did an IC, I'd probably go with the cheapest CSF IC.
I will second the sound of the MPE with catted DP. I have a Wagner DP and MPE and am very happy with the sound. The MPE has a very small resonator, which I had removed at a muffler shop for about $70 IIRC. Like BEM said Dinan doesn't fit on the F23 so had no other option. It also didn't make much of a difference with the MPE so glad I didn't pay a lot. Personally I would go the muffler shop route.

Have to say I agree with XutvJet about getting what you pay for. For bolt ons I bought Wagner, ER or Dinan. Not the cheapest but all installs were smooth (DIY) and haven't had any problems in years. Personally I haven't had experience with the other brands mentioned but didn't want to risk any headache.
      08-28-2020, 08:45 AM   #15
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

OP, don’t get caught up with ‘named brand’ because that’s not going to determine what product functions better.

Intakes add zero power. I have a Dinan intake I’ll let go for cheap if you’re really interested, but they don’t add anything. A AFE dry drop in and a lower MMPK box are likely going to be as good.

Careless + Resonator is a bit obnoxious. I have a cat less down pipe and a M performance exhaust. It drones and has a bit of raspy ness too it - but outside of cold start, it’s not too loud.
I wouldn’t overthink this too much, it will always sounds like a vacuum cleaner. One word of advice: I wouldn’t buy a high end catted Downpipe unless they offer SOME guarantee like Fabspeed does.

The worst choice you can make on an IC is buying one that is too small. No comment on what you SHOULD get, but I will say you want an IC that’s a 6” core or larger (especially for stage 2)
Appreciate 2
TACP3.50