THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning BM3 ZF8 Trans Flash

07-22-2020, 12:26 PM   #1
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

BM3 ZF8 Trans Flash

I have read where on the M235i the Clamping force in all 8 gears is equal to
550nm. In contrast to other N55 engines having lower numbers in 3rd and 6th gears.

Makes sense that BM3 has a transmission flash for those cars -- addressing the
3rd & 6th gear issues -- especially when increasing Boost using BM3 ~ allowing the full potential of the tune.

Those who have Flashed an M235i -- is there a reason to ZF8 Flash and is there a difference?

I would certainly believe above Stage 1 tune to required this BM3 ZF8 Flash ; however, if I am only at Stage 1 93 -- Do I need this?

Any long term effects ?

I may just have to Flash and try it -- just looking for input from users.

Thanks in advance of your reply.

Note: I did send a question to BM3 Tech and they replied with:

"The purpose of bootmod3 transmission flash is to lift the torque limits on the 3rd and the 6th gear that mostly impact N55 equipped cars. Without this flash the 3rd and 6th gear load/torque targets (boost) end up far lower than the tune targets (at around 11-12psi) and a DME flash cannot lift them on its own.

It is purely up to you if you want to give it a try. You can always revert back to stock transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 04:52 PM   #2
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

I have no experience with the BM3 trans flash but I do use Xhps flash on stage 4 and I have it set pretty aggressive. It's been super good for me and although the way I have it set may not be for everyone I like it super aggressive. I'm assuming because it clamps harder it reduces clutch life but increases the chance of hard part failures. Although the zf8 speed is an extremely robust fantastic transmission.
16 M235xi 8ZF Black on Red FBO: Xhp trans tune -BMS Intake - VRSF Catless DownPipe - VRSF CP - VRSF Muffler delete/resonator - n22 plugs - MHD stage 2+ 95map - Wagner EVO II Preformace IC - Rear seat delete - weight reduction/stripping -FTP 18.5in rims - Hawk HPS front pads - StopTech STR 660 fluid
Appreciate 1
Conr4d27.50
      07-24-2020, 04:56 PM   #3
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Flashed BM3 ZF8 Trans

Flashed the 8AT in My 235i

BM3 Stage 1 93 with the AT Flash -- All I can say is WOW!

So smooth, quick effortless shifts on command -- I am simply Amazed!
Highly recommend.

Now for the data logging to ensure all is well.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 06:54 PM   #4
BostonM235xi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_otherM235i View Post
I have no experience with the BM3 trans flash but I do use Xhps flash on stage 4 and I have it set pretty aggressive. It's been super good for me and although the way I have it set may not be for everyone I like it super aggressive. I'm assuming because it clamps harder it reduces clutch life but increases the chance of hard part failures. Although the zf8 speed is an extremely robust fantastic transmission.
XHP stage 4 🤣 I tried Stage 4 for 10 seconds haha literally stays at 5k rpm lol Can't drive around like that though haha
      07-24-2020, 09:06 PM   #5
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I flashed XHP stage 3 with +20% downshift blip speed, and it was pretty night and day to me. Some people may not think it's super night and day, but I feel like this trans is close to it's limit with this stuff in this application anyway so the improvements in shift speed, brap-ability and shift smoothness were so worth the $350 to me. I would never go back to stock, it fixed a lot of issues I had with the trans, and I've since flashed mhd stage 2 with the xhp option selected (plus bolt ons etc) and I feel like I've really polished off/put the finishing touches on what already was a great car from the factory.

The thing I don't get is the BM3 trans tune. I messaged them last year and they said the same thing, it's JUST for removing torque limits in 3rd and 6th on non m235i cars that have the limiters. Yet a lot of people are claiming it changed the behavior otherwise. I'm inclined to believe it's a placebo effect for them, really inclined because I've seen so many people with induced placebo with cars for minor repairs that had nothing to do with what they think they're feeling, but a small part of me wonders if BM3 didn't want to step on xhp's toes by publicly stating the tune did more than remove the limiters. A very small part, I feel like they would have to state if they were altering other parameters. Either way even if I had BM3 I would still do xhp, because of the R&D they put in, added customizability and definite improvements, and what's another $350 anyway after paying for all the other mods
Appreciate 2
123Britt287.00
Conr4d27.50
      08-07-2020, 11:47 PM   #6
Conr4d
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandri View Post
I flashed XHP stage 3 with +20% downshift blip speed, and it was pretty night and day to me. Some people may not think it's super night and day, but I feel like this trans is close to it's limit with this stuff in this application anyway so the improvements in shift speed, brap-ability and shift smoothness were so worth the $350 to me. I would never go back to stock, it fixed a lot of issues I had with the trans, and I've since flashed mhd stage 2 with the xhp option selected (plus bolt ons etc) and I feel like I've really polished off/put the finishing touches on what already was a great car from the factory.

The thing I don't get is the BM3 trans tune. I messaged them last year and they said the same thing, it's JUST for removing torque limits in 3rd and 6th on non m235i cars that have the limiters. Yet a lot of people are claiming it changed the behavior otherwise. I'm inclined to believe it's a placebo effect for them, really inclined because I've seen so many people with induced placebo with cars for minor repairs that had nothing to do with what they think they're feeling, but a small part of me wonders if BM3 didn't want to step on xhp's toes by publicly stating the tune did more than remove the limiters. A very small part, I feel like they would have to state if they were altering other parameters. Either way even if I had BM3 I would still do xhp, because of the R&D they put in, added customizability and definite improvements, and what's another $350 anyway after paying for all the other mods
Couldn’t agree more! Just recently flashed xHP stage 3 transmission flash and have a huge grin on my face every time I drive the car in Sport/Sport+ now! Night and day difference on shift speed. The car shifts like a DCT now and has a much more tactile and engaging driving experience. Well worth the investment. The throttle blips and rev-matching on down shifts are so satisfying
2016 M235i Mineral Gray Metallic - Dinan Intake | Evolution ITB & TIC Charge Pipes | Evolution Intercooler | TurboSmart Diverter Valve | Evolution Down Pipe | Dinan Resonator Delete Mid Pipe | Dinan Exhaust | BM3 Stage 2 93 Octane | NGK 2-Step Colder Plugs | xHP Stage 3 Trans Flash | M Performance Rotors | Autotecknic Carbon Mirrors | RKP Carbon Trunk Lip Spoiler | M Performance Carbon Shifter | M Performance LED Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0