THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics 2015 BMW M235i Audio Issue

07-08-2020, 05:48 PM   #1
LennyAswall
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Unhappy 2015 BMW M235i Audio Issue

Hi all,

I recently picked up a used 2015 BMW M235i with the standard BMW audio speakers - not the HK upgrade. After driving the past week or so, I've noticed when I have my iPhone plugged in via USB or using Bluetooth, the audio on high notes tends to have some static that will occur and distort the audio. I originally figured it may be a tweeter issue for the speakers BUT when I decided to try AUX, there are no issues what so ever. I'm assuming it may be an iDrive/infotainment issue but not sure.

Please let me know what you think the issue is/possible solutions.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 11:24 PM   #2
LennyAswall
Rep

Update:

Today I tried Apple Music instead of Google Play for my songs and there was no static! Not sure why this is but switching seemed to work for me so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 12:40 PM   #3
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

IMHO BMW doesn't put very good speakers in its 2 series cars. I bet what's happening is when you connect via USB or BT the amp, via the head unit, is getting "better quality" sound-better high frequencies. My recommendation is to replace the fronts with Eton component speakers and buy the door "sail" tweeter mount from ebay. They are very good speakers.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 07:08 PM   #4
khoa@x-ph.com
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyAswall View Post
Update:

Today I tried Apple Music instead of Google Play for my songs and there was no static! Not sure why this is but switching seemed to work for me so far.
Does that mean it's a software related issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 12:09 AM   #5
LennyAswall
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
IMHO BMW doesn't put very good speakers in its 2 series cars. I bet what's happening is when you connect via USB or BT the amp, via the head unit, is getting "better quality" sound-better high frequencies. My recommendation is to replace the fronts with Eton component speakers and buy the door "sail" tweeter mount from ebay. They are very good speakers.
Yeah, I think I'll end up going that route. I realized using my downloaded (youtube songs) on my phone was playing fine, using Apple music most songs are okay but occasionally I get static. So something is definitely up with the bitrate or something regarding quality. I just wasn't sure if its the AMP or speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa@x-ph.com View Post
Does that mean it's a software related issue?
Unfortunately, Apple Music ended up being similar on some songs : ( my downloaded music is fine, though.
Appreciate 0