THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics USB Failed Connection

06-16-2020, 09:11 AM   #1
theduke
Rep
Drives: 2014 M325i

USB Failed Connection

Posted this as a reply to another thread but got no responses so I'll try again here .
USB sound quality is far superior so I tend to use that more often. My Iphone X will barely charge with the center console port. Additionally Waze will only play audibly with the USB connection. When attached via bluetooth Waze announcements are just a break in the audio (no voice commands ).
I could deal with the crappy Bluetooth audio since I rarely listen to more than podcasts anyway but what gives with Waze? No matter the sound setting it won't play through the system.
Yes I've tried several different cables including two different genuine Apple cables. Most simply flash green to white on the battery icon and never allow the phone to be seen in the menu. Ironically a cheap knockoff cable I've had for several years is the only one that consistently works.
Not sure if the two issues are related at all but any help would be appreciated.
'14 M235i Professional Nav, NBT
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 09:33 AM   #2
theduke
Rep

Looks like I'm on my own on this one! lol
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 02:08 PM   #3
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduke View Post
Looks like I'm on my own on this one! lol
Get a USB tester from maybe Amazon and see what amperage your USB is pushing.. If you don't have the Enhance USB & Package, the standard USB only charges at .5 amps, which is pretty low..

If that's the case, you best bet is to get a 12V cigarette lighter plug, that supports 2.1A charging, when that becomes a priority.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 07:46 AM   #4
theduke
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Get a USB tester from maybe Amazon and see what amperage your USB is pushing.. If you don't have the Enhance USB & Package, the standard USB only charges at .5 amps, which is pretty low..

If that's the case, you best bet is to get a 12V cigarette lighter plug, that supports 2.1A charging, when that becomes a priority.
Thanks that's what I figured was happening so I'll test it. I'm more concerned with using the USB because it sounds much better than Bluetooth not for the charging per-se. If it was just to charge I do have a lighter plug USB
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 01:13 PM   #5
ChefWhippinThe2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i

Hey. In regards to your post I don't really notice that much of an audio difference at all when connected through bluetooth vs USB. What kind of phone do you have?

I'm not having the issue you're having but I have noticed that my phone also chargers extremely slow (1% every 10 min) when plugged into the usb port inside the center console arm rest.

Do you recommend I just purchase a 12V cigarette port charger? Will it charge significantly faster? Or is the problem in my charger cord itself?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 08:08 AM   #6
theduke
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefWhippinThe2 View Post
Hey. In regards to your post I don't really notice that much of an audio difference at all when connected through bluetooth vs USB. What kind of phone do you have?

I'm not having the issue you're having but I have noticed that my phone also chargers extremely slow (1% every 10 min) when plugged into the usb port inside the center console arm rest.

Do you recommend I just purchase a 12V cigarette port charger? Will it charge significantly faster? Or is the problem in my charger cord itself?
Iphone, but honestly regardless of the phone the audio will always be better wired vs Bluetooth. I don't listen to a ton of music in the car anyway but it's very noticeable.
Been busy doing other things to the car so havent messed with testing the USB yet but as previously mentioned I'm sure it just can't keep up with the power draw. If you just want to charge yours I'd absolutely go the lighter socket / USB route.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 09:50 AM   #7
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

If your recorded music is poor quality then you will not notice a difference between BT Audio and USB. Try lossless music via USB and BT Audio and you will notice the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefWhippinThe2 View Post

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 11:04 AM   #8
theduke
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Ok so this is what I got from both USB ports ( I got rid of the phone cradle and connected a second USB in its place).
Thoughts?
The thing that still throws me is that of the 6 random cords, genuine Apple included, only one cheapie I bought in a pinch (shown) actually works to where the phone shows up in idrive.
All the others flash green to white in the battery icon and won't connect.

Appreciate 0