THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Bimmertech vs Match UP 7 vs JL Audio 600 amp

10-23-2018, 06:06 PM   #1
530iAndroid
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2002 530i and 2018 230i

Bimmertech vs Match UP 7 vs JL Audio 600 amp

From my reading, these 3 amps seem to be the most popular choices for the F22

I have read every thread related to audio upgrades on the F22 and while there are many recommendations, nobody has done a direct comparison of all the pro’s and con’s as far as I am aware.

Both the Bimmertech and Match UP 7 have DSP whereas the JL Audio does not.

What other benefits are there going with one over the other. Everyone I talk to suggests something different. Is it that some amps are just better for the BavSound upgrades and other better for a custom speaker installation like Morel Focal, Eton etc?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

In this segment, namely, the low to mid range of good aftermarket offerings, things are going to sound similar, IME. I would choose based on your budget and goals. The DSP is a very nice feature to have, whereas the JL offers additional power. Once again, IME, none necessarily match up better to the speakers you mention, as they are all in the same segment of the aftermarket; and also, amps ideally shouldn't add coloration to the music. The speakers are where you may notice the biggest differences; you'll likely choose based on your listening preferences, i.e. Focal's being more 'forward', Morel being more 'laid back'. Mismatches you want to avoid are things like using Brax MX4's to power Focal IFBMW kits, or JL XD amps to power Dynaudio Esotars.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      10-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #3
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
In this segment, namely, the low to mid range of good aftermarket offerings, things are going to sound similar, IME. I would choose based on your budget and goals. The DSP is a very nice feature to have, whereas the JL offers additional power. Once again, IME, none necessarily match up better to the speakers you mention, as they are all in the same segment of the aftermarket; and also, amps ideally shouldn't add coloration to the music. The speakers are where you may notice the biggest differences; you'll likely choose based on your listening preferences, i.e. Focal's being more 'forward', Morel being more 'laid back'. Mismatches you want to avoid are things like using Brax MX4's to power Focal IFBMW kits, or JL XD amps to power Dynaudio Esotars.
Very well said.

Also: Who is going to install, tune, and comparatively quantify and qualify three different amplifiers, each of which require different techniques to make work in a 2 Series? It's one thing to try three different amps (or three different speakers, etc.) at home. It a completely different proposition to do the same in a vehicle.

OP, keep in mind that 'good sound' is a subjective judgment that is only partially explainable by objective measures. Even if someone tried the three amplifiers on one 2 Series, that person's judgment of them isn't going to be very valuable to someone else unless those conclusions can be quantified universally -- i.e., this amp runs cooler than that amp so it's likely a better match for x speakers, or this amp applies less gain than that amp so that would explain why highs are more clear through x speakers, or this amp sounds beefier in the low-mids than that amp so it's likely supplying more quality power than its RMS rating (if that even exists) suggests ... yada, yada, yada.

Bottom line: Use what others have said to help you make a choice. Don't let what others have said to make the choice for you. Learn about what makes good sound, then choose based on what you know your needs and preferences are -- not someone else's needs and preferences.
Appreciate 1
BEM-S44515.50
      10-24-2018, 02:51 PM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

One other thing to consider - everyone stateside is familiar with JL. So if you need help setting things up that's easy. The other options good luck finding someone to tune it for you if you don't want to run a preloaded tune or figure it out on your own.

In other words if you anticipate needing professional help down the line, get something they can easily help you with.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 01:47 PM   #5
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
I am actually trying to decide this now. I am looking at the Bavsound vs IFBMW-S, -vs- Focal 100 ES. All will be running off of the HK amplifier...
Appreciate 0