THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics 2018 M240xi CarPlay retrofit question

07-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #1
NYSteve
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

2018 M240xi CarPlay retrofit question

Hi,

I've been doing a bunch of research / investigation online and have reached some conclusions which I'd love some validation on.

I have a 2018 M240xi convertible with Navigation but no factory CarPlay and no wireless charger/wifi hotspot. I'm told the latter is important because it means that I have no WiFi antenna in the car.

I have found a few folks through these forums and others who are willing/able to do the retrofit for CarPlay, either through remote control of a computer connected to my car or by downloading a file (generated to match my VIN) onto a USB Key. From what I understand, this file or the remote coding are just two ways of skinning the same cat - getting the VIN-specific FSC code for CarPlay into my car.

First, does this sound right to folks here? Any issues in general with using either one of these techniques?

Second - some have told me that it's likely that it will work fine without the wifi antenna, particularly if I leave the phone near the dashboard. This suits me great because I'd rather not pull the dash off of my brand new BMW (although I've done this many times on many other vehicles in my life). Does that sound right to anyone here?

In case I do need the antenna, I have found a dealer who would be willing to put it in for me, provided that it's an OEM part, but I've yet to identify the part number for the antenna for my car. Does anyone know where I can find that? Again, if possible, I'd rather have a dealer do this so that any trim damage is on him, not me.

Thanks, and sorry for the newbie questions. I've only been a BMW driver for about a year, and am sure that I'm going to be getting into doing coding for myself (ASD for example!!), but want to resolve my CarPlay issue first.

~Steve
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 01:55 PM   #2
Heniek77
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 Serie 220i; BMW iX1

Same doubts here, any suggestions/help?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #3
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

My car does not have wifi antenna, wifi hotspot or enhanced bluetooth (It only has Pronav) and retrofitted apple car play through USB and it is working flawlessly
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2018, 12:09 AM   #4
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
I don't think there would be an OEM part for the CarPlay antenna but we do have the ones that we normally ship with our retrofit kits available for sale as well.

Even without the WLAN antenna, you can still use CarPlay just that the range will be very limited and you will need to leave your phone in the cup holder at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSteve View Post
Hi,

I've been doing a bunch of research / investigation online and have reached some conclusions which I'd love some validation on.

I have a 2018 M240xi convertible with Navigation but no factory CarPlay and no wireless charger/wifi hotspot. I'm told the latter is important because it means that I have no WiFi antenna in the car.

I have found a few folks through these forums and others who are willing/able to do the retrofit for CarPlay, either through remote control of a computer connected to my car or by downloading a file (generated to match my VIN) onto a USB Key. From what I understand, this file or the remote coding are just two ways of skinning the same cat - getting the VIN-specific FSC code for CarPlay into my car.

First, does this sound right to folks here? Any issues in general with using either one of these techniques?

Second - some have told me that it's likely that it will work fine without the wifi antenna, particularly if I leave the phone near the dashboard. This suits me great because I'd rather not pull the dash off of my brand new BMW (although I've done this many times on many other vehicles in my life). Does that sound right to anyone here?

In case I do need the antenna, I have found a dealer who would be willing to put it in for me, provided that it's an OEM part, but I've yet to identify the part number for the antenna for my car. Does anyone know where I can find that? Again, if possible, I'd rather have a dealer do this so that any trim damage is on him, not me.

Thanks, and sorry for the newbie questions. I've only been a BMW driver for about a year, and am sure that I'm going to be getting into doing coding for myself (ASD for example!!), but want to resolve my CarPlay issue first.

~Steve
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 02:51 AM   #5
Heniek77
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 Serie 220i; BMW iX1

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
My car does not have wifi antenna, wifi hotspot or enhanced bluetooth (It only has Pronav) and retrofitted apple car play through USB and it is working flawlessly
Exactly the same setup & retrofitted apple car play through USB. Tried many places where to put the phone (including cup holder) but the sound is clamping from time to time
After a month of using apple carplay I would say the add-on is great but wifi antenna is a must
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 06:59 AM   #6
charly10
Rep
Drives: bmw m240i

Hi all!

If I am willing to use apple car play only with usb cable, can I skip the antenna installation?

Tks
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 02:51 AM   #7
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly10 View Post
Hi all!

If I am willing to use apple car play only with usb cable, can I skip the antenna installation?

Tks
CarPlay works wireless only.
You can't use it with USB.
Appreciate 0