THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Which speakers m240i HK

06-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #1
hohay
Rep
Drives: M240i

Which speakers m240i HK

I recently got a 240 with a HK sound system, I have read a few posts on here and have to agree about the performance. It sounds ok but at loud volumes it is draining.

Looking at either the Eton or focal front speakers, the focals are a little more and i had focals in a previous car and they were very good. Are they worth the extra over the Eton?

In terms of rear speakers most posts recommend the JL audio speakers are they much better than the Eton rear speakers?

I actually think the low bass is ok, just lacks mid depth and the highs are to strong so hopefully the new speakers will resolve this.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 11:12 PM   #2
CEDS 2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Sorry to hijack thread, but do you also know what the difference between the HiFi and HK equipped cars are beside the mid-range speakers and tweeters? Are the subs/rear/centre speakers different?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 03:24 AM   #3
DriftnM3
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEDS 2 View Post
Sorry to hijack thread, but do you also know what the difference between the HiFi and HK equipped cars are beside the mid-range speakers and tweeters? Are the subs/rear/centre speakers different?
Here's a thread that will answer that question
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1069537
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
CEDS 2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XERODX View Post
Here's a thread that will answer that question
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1069537
hmm, just took a read through it...not sure it answers my question. Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 01:15 PM   #5
nomuffinforyou
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohay View Post
I recently got a 240 with a HK sound system, I have read a few posts on here and have to agree about the performance. It sounds ok but at loud volumes it is draining.

Looking at either the Eton or focal front speakers, the focals are a little more and i had focals in a previous car and they were very good. Are they worth the extra over the Eton?

In terms of rear speakers most posts recommend the JL audio speakers are they much better than the Eton rear speakers?

I actually think the low bass is ok, just lacks mid depth and the highs are to strong so hopefully the new speakers will resolve this.
I went with Focals for my M235 with the HiFi system and I'm pretty happy, but replacing the amp is going to be necessary (for me at least), the factory one is hot garbage. Though I might just wait until Integral Audio puts out a full system for the 2 series and do a full swap. I used their underseat woofers and am extremely impressed.
I'd say if you're not planning on replacing everything then I'd get the cheaper speakers since you'll hit diminishing returns real fast without changing the elctronics. And if you want to fix the mid depth you might have to swap out the underseat subs since that helped more with that for me than the door speakers.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 03:56 PM   #6
hohay
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomuffinforyou View Post
I went with Focals for my M235 with the HiFi system and I'm pretty happy, but replacing the amp is going to be necessary (for me at least), the factory one is hot garbage. Though I might just wait until Integral Audio puts out a full system for the 2 series and do a full swap. I used their underseat woofers and am extremely impressed.
I'd say if you're not planning on replacing everything then I'd get the cheaper speakers since you'll hit diminishing returns real fast without changing the elctronics. And if you want to fix the mid depth you might have to swap out the underseat subs since that helped more with that for me than the door speakers.
Which ones did you go for? On the focal site they don’t list the 2 series. Also when I google the model 2 versions appear. Which is the correct for the m240?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Focal-IFBMW-S-Integration-2-Way-Compo-other/dp/B00DAYHND0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=focal+ifbmw-s&qid=1561582332&s=gateway&sprefix=focal+ifbmw&sr= 8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Focal-IFBMW-S-2-Way-Component-Speakers/dp/B00GN4YNLE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=focal+ifbmw-s&qid=1561582530&s=gateway&sprefix=focal+ifbmw&sr= 8-2

Both are called ifbmw-s just the tweeters seem different and don’t want to order the wrong ones
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 09:48 AM   #7
CEDS 2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Which ones did you go for? On the focal site they don’t list the 2 series. Also when I google the model 2 versions appear. Which is the correct for the m240?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Focal-IFBMW...l+ifbmw&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Focal-IFBMW...l+ifbmw&sr=8-2

Both are called ifbmw-s just the tweeters seem different and don’t want to order the wrong ones
I believe they are both the same - if you look at the pictures the tweeters are the same as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 09:54 AM   #8
hohay
Rep

thanks, i think one just shows the focal mounts for the tweeters.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 11:10 AM   #9
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

I did the full Eton speaker upgrade. At the time that the JBL advice came out, Eton did not offer a replacement set that would fit the rear properly.

I even went ahead and added the Eton CENTER speaker, against the recommendation of others.

Its worth the money. If you have the base/hifi sound system (anything other than HK) you will need to source door sails to mount the tweeters into.

A few options exist.

check out my thread, I detailed it pretty specifically including parts.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...php?p=24919868
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 02:48 AM   #10
hohay
Rep

Thanks, I had already read your post before and was going down the Eton route, but if I buy the Focals from Fracnce they work out the same price as the Etons. I had Focals in a car a few years ago and the are amazing speakers so i assume they will be better than the Etons. Can get the Focal front and rear for £340 (eton front and rear are £300) or the 2 subs aswell for £560.

The standard subs seem ok, tempted to get the Focal F@R and then down the line get a 6 channel amp and the subs at the same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
I did the full Eton speaker upgrade. At the time that the JBL advice came out, Eton did not offer a replacement set that would fit the rear properly.

I even went ahead and added the Eton CENTER speaker, against the recommendation of others.

Its worth the money. If you have the base/hifi sound system (anything other than HK) you will need to source door sails to mount the tweeters into.

A few options exist.

check out my thread, I detailed it pretty specifically including parts.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...php?p=24919868
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 07:36 PM   #11
nomuffinforyou
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Quote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Focal-IFBMW...l+ifbmw&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Focal-IFBMW...l+ifbmw&sr=8-2

OH. I didn't go the component route, if that wasn't clear, I used the ISC 100 coaxial and bought them on sale from crutchfield. Did this for several reasons.
1.) $80/pr is damn good
2.) Easier install.
3.) While installing component tweeters in sails wouldn't be difficult, it wouldn't be cost effective, I'd be looking at about $100 for HK sails just to throw away tweeters and but new ones
4.) If I DID go with coax then the built-in DSP of the amp would be a deal breaker and I'd NEED to upgrade that, another $600ish. I looked at the response graph of the ISC 100's and saw they rolled off a fair bit off axis and relied on that to compensate for the DSP and still needed to cut the treble tone control by 3-4 notches to get them level. Overall I'm pretty happy with that result, but if I'd gone component I'd likely need to swap the amp still.

So, in my opinion, if you're not planning on replacing the amp I'd stick with the coaxials, they're cheaper and won't melt your face off with treble aiming a tweeter right at you on axis with a heft DSP boost built in for it.

That said, if you have the money to swap the amp and get components definitely do that, it's still definitely the best option, but from a cost:benefit standpoint it didn't work for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 11:30 AM   #12
mecodoug
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6-speed

I went with Bavsound to replace all 12 speakers, and I did the Match amp and ASD bypass. I modified the supplied F22 tune to reduce the volume of the center channel to about 60%, which I like better than either eliminating the speaker or keeping it at 100%. It was not cheap, but at least I did the labor myself, and I am very happy with the result.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 09:59 AM   #13
hohay
Rep

12 speakers? I am sure mine only has 9 - 2 subs, 2 door speakers, 2 tweeters, 2 rear 1 center,

I did look at the Bavsound ad Bimmertech products but the pricing is so high, i was 100% going for a full focal set up but after talking to a few installers they all said to go for the Etons which surprised me a bit especially as one company did not sell Eton so good that he recommended a product they cant use.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #14
Aspen235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i, 2018 M240i 6mt

Focal ifbmw-s (separates)
Focal ifbmw-c (coaxial)

The separates come with an external x-over in the wire harness and a silver bezel for the tweeter. I took my stock sails, cut out a hole with a saw, cleaned up with a dremel sander and pressed in the Focal tweeters. Looks good especially for no extra costs. Sounds great, but a new amp will be needed eventually.

if you replace the front, and rears with better coaxials with tweeters you end up at 12 speakers in total. The HIFI stock system only has 7 because the front door, centre and rears are all "full range" single drivers of dubious quality.

Last edited by Aspen235; 07-05-2019 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #15
mecodoug
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6-speed

Quote:
12 speakers? I am sure mine only has 9 - 2 subs, 2 door speakers, 2 tweeters, 2 rear 1 center,

I did look at the Bavsound ad Bimmertech products but the pricing is so high, i was 100% going for a full focal set up but after talking to a few installers they all said to go for the Etons which surprised me a bit especially as one company did not sell Eton so good that he recommended a product they cant use.
The rear decks and center have both mid-bass and tweeters on the H/K. So, 12 speakers total including the subs. (At least the USA version of the H/K.)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #16
hohay
Rep

update:

I ended up with the Etons, went for the front B100W, front mid B100XCN and rear B100XN. Only did this last weekend and it sounds better, less harsh at high volumes and much better mid, I still feel the mid bass is the weakness and some tracks sound hollow.

Eventually I will upgrade to 2 eton subs and a new amp and get the system properly tuned.

Installation was very easy, doors are the hardest part but once you do the 1st door (took 45 mins including some sound deadening) the 2nd door took 20 mins.

The rears are a 10 min job as is the front mid.

I was quoted £300 to install these which is a total joke really, it is very easy to do.
Appreciate 0