THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Tool tip, tight space leverage

07-03-2016, 03:06 PM   #1
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Tool tip, tight space leverage

Was doing brake flush on a 235 front caliper with the two bleeder screws on one caliper - and the inner horizontal bleeder screw is extremely tight. Used some PB-Blaster to loosen but the 11mm socket didn't get me any movement. Saw pics a few days back of a snapped off bleeder screw, so wanted to be extra careful.
The pic below shows how to create a small extension/breaker bar for tight spaces. It provides good feel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #2
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Was doing brake flush on a 235 front caliper with the two bleeder screws on one caliper - and the inner horizontal bleeder screw is extremely tight. Used some PB-Blaster to loosen but the 11mm socket didn't get me any movement. Saw pics a few days back of a snapped off bleeder screw, so wanted to be extra careful.
The pic below shows how to create a small extension/breaker bar for tight spaces. It provides good feel.
I saw Eric the Car Guy use that trick on his You Tube channel. Very good tip.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #3
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Here's another tip: If you're going to be applying a lot of torque on the bleeder valve using a 6 point box wrench will help keep from rounding off the bleeder valve.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #4
EEBreh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "M" 235i

Always use a flared nut wrench when working on gas hoses and brake componentry like bleed screws or hoses.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 10:43 AM   #5
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Flared nut wrenches are good if you can't get the 6 point closed box end over the top of the nut. However, a six point flared nut wrench only has 5 flat surfaces as opposed to six in the closed end box. For me personally, I choose the six point closed box first and the flared nut wrench only on the tubing nuts where the closed box won't work, YMMV.
Appreciate 0