THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW - Battery & Lighting Issues

03-22-2023, 04:16 AM   #1
Niall.Murph
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I LCI (2018)

BMW - Battery & Lighting Issues

Hi All,

Hoping for some insight from some more experienced experts in this group!

Currently having an issue with my car, for context previously I've had an issue with my Driverside headlight in which I replaced the headlight with one I'd bought online whilst switching my ballast etc into the new unit.

We had some snow last week which I believe the cold weather has cracked the casing of the headlight and is now letting condensation in again (great.)
Over the past 3-4 days I've experienced a multitude of different factors and cannot figure out the source of them..

- All lighting system faults (control lights, turn indicator, brake light, dipped beam etc)

Overnight my battery seems to drain massively so my heated seats won't work, the boot won't unlock and IDRIVE turns on and off.

The weirdest of all of this, is that the lights themselves actually all work with no issues. This includes the full beam,DRL's, Dipped Beam, Indicators (only when pressing the hazard light)

When I indicate through the control stalk, the front indicators will flash very quickly but the rear indicators won't flash at all. As previously mentioned these indicators work perfectly fine when I'm using the hazard lights.

I've tried to read fault codes however my OBDLINK won't read any fault codes I'm assuming because the battery is working so inconsistently.

If anyone has had a similar issue/fix or a hypothesis on what could be the issue this would be a massive help.

Many Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 09:01 AM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Sounds like the battery has given up, you will experience all sorts of electrical gremlins if it isn’t in top shape. Often a single shorted cell will cause a rapid drain.

Best to get the battery load tested, but if it needs to be replaced use an equivalent capacity AGM one and make sure the registration process is carried out, otherwise it may not last as long as possible due to being over charged when new.
Appreciate 1
jzeiler4320.00
      03-25-2023, 05:56 AM   #3
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

To discover if the battery is likely the problem take it out of the loop. No don't disconnect it, just put it in a state of full charge by running the engine or a battery charger while testing the dodgy circuits. (have I spelled dodgy right?) Use a voltmeter to be sure the system is getting full power.
Appreciate 0