THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Something majorly wrong but not throwing any codes

03-10-2023, 02:47 AM   #1
dickovens
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i GT

Ok so I’ve been having an issue with my 2016 M235i for about 6 ish months or so. I’ve been kind of putting it off because I really didn’t think much of it at first. Basically roughly 6 months ago I was driving the car and all of a sudden I got warning lights for the ABS and Power Steering. The thing is though, the lights came on for literally one second then went away. I also had no issues with the steering or brakes. This went on for a few months but it was only happening maybe once a month. Call me dumb for not getting it checked out but since nothing was actually happening accompanying the lights I figured it was just electrical. The past month though, it started happening maybe once a week. Still was just thinking electrical. This past week, it was happening for entire drives. The two lights would be coming on and turning off after a second, but it would happen like every 30 seconds. At this point I’m already planning to bring it to my usual shop but I’m very busy and can’t afford to not have transportation. I was gonna bring it in this Sunday and didn’t think it’d be an issue because I don’t really make any long drives. Today though, I was backing out of a parking space and the car just kind of seized up. All of a sudden the car stopped dead in it’s tracks and the steering wheel locked into place. A light came on saying I had a transmission malfunction and then a second later the light was off and the car was back to normal. I can’t for the life of me find anything like this on google. The car isn’t throwing any codes either. I’m still going to bring the car into the shop on Sunday but does anyone have any clue what it might be? I recently quit my job to go back to college and the car is paid off so that’s not an issue but I’m gonna get so fucked if it’s actually in need of a transmission repair.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 06:34 AM   #2
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

It must have some stored codes. I don't believe it's possible for any error light to come on without storing a code. Maybe you don't have the proper interface to show BMW codes?

The first thing I can think of troubleshooting wise is that the battery or alternator is on the way out. These cars always seem to cause strange glitches or other errors when the car can't keep a steady power flow.
Appreciate 0