THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) How long before I can drive my car after ceramic coating?

03-27-2023, 06:13 PM   #45
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post

Let me guess, you have ceramic coated ppf. You do you.
Add me to the list of clowns. I always wondered the same, but more from a value perspective. We all get PPF preserves the paint, but the film inevitably gets dirty. So the answer is to ceramic coat the film, which will help keep the grime or any other imperfections that would otherwise damage your paint’s clear coat.

But unlike your original paint, PPF is not meant to be permanent and will need to be replaced in 5-7 years. I know most here don’t hold onto their cars that long so I’m in the minority. But seems like a waste to spend $1500 to coat a temporary film for a long term owner like me. I don’t argue the benefits of coating but I’d much rather paint correction + film and be done with it.

Clearly I’m not a detailer so open to hearing (or learning) from other more knowledgeable folks.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 03-27-2023 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
Pentland1696.50
540iSUP703.00
      03-27-2023, 06:16 PM   #46
Keith's Bimmer
Keith's Bimmer
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X6 M

Garage List
2023 X6 M  [7.50]
2023 X6 M  [0.00]
Ceramic Coating

When I had my ceramic coating done, the detailer kept my vehicle overnight for it to cure. It was good to drive the next day. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
james1138118.50
      03-27-2023, 07:51 PM   #47
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Add me to the list of clowns. I always wondered the same, but more from a value perspective. We all get PPF preserves the paint, but the film inevitably gets dirty. So the answer is to ceramic coat the film, which will help keep the grime or any other imperfections that would otherwise damage your paint’s clear coat.

But unlike your original paint, PPF is not meant to be permanent and will need to be replaced in 5-7 years. I know most here don’t hold onto their cars that long so I’m in the minority. But seems like a waste to spend $1500 to coat a temporary film for a long term owner like me. I don’t argue the benefits of coating but I’d much rather paint correction + film and be done with it.

Clearly I’m not a detailer so open to hearing (or learning) from other more knowledgeable folks.
I do ceramic coatings on my cars simply because I like how it makes the water bead right off when I blow dry it. I don't feel it does much more than that and MAYBE makes it look shinier... but that's very subjective... depends on color etc. I don't pay $1500 for that. I just buy the stuff and apply it myself. It's not hard at all. I believe a lot of the cost associated with these professional ceramic coatings is for paint correction to get the paint looking good before applying.

So if you want to coat your PPF I don't see why you would need to go the $1500 route. That PPF is brand new so it technically shouldn't need any correcting... if you can even "correct" PPF. So you can just buy some ceramic coating for probably under $100 and apply it yourself.
Appreciate 2
      03-27-2023, 09:03 PM   #48
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I do ceramic coatings on my cars simply because I like how it makes the water bead right off when I blow dry it. I don't feel it does much more than that and MAYBE makes it look shinier... but that's very subjective... depends on color etc. I don't pay $1500 for that. I just buy the stuff and apply it myself. It's not hard at all. I believe a lot of the cost associated with these professional ceramic coatings is for paint correction to get the paint looking good before applying.

So if you want to coat your PPF I don't see why you would need to go the $1500 route. That PPF is brand new so it technically shouldn't need any correcting... if you can even "correct" PPF. So you can just buy some ceramic coating for probably under $100 and apply it yourself.
Trust me, I would not pay $1500 either. But I know that's the going rate, and typically sold as a package when doing PPF hence I threw the number out.

Not to further derail, but I learned my lesson hard way and now limit PPF only to the front & mirrors. The one time I had most of my car covered, someone tapped into my rear bumper while parking. The plate screws pierced through my film, causing it to lift. Self healing only goes so far but wasn't long before dirt/grime built up and the spot looked terrible. Paint was damaged either way but the film made it worse and was additional cost to pull it off.

Now I cover front & hood b/c those are the areas most susceptible to debris especially when on track. I don't bother with any other panel.

Back to original topic...
      03-28-2023, 07:43 AM   #49
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

this thread ultimately boils down to having the money so why the fuck not right...

unless yall in debt and getting PPF and cermic coating it, then yall sick fucks
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 08:39 AM   #50
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
this thread ultimately boils down to having the money so why the fuck not right...

I have to be honest man I love your posts. For whatever reason they bring me joy. I’m going to do my best to read every post you make on this forum. Please keep it up.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 10:22 AM   #51
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

My god this thread is as bad as OT.

Ceramic coating takes 30 days to fully cure, but reaches 90% cure after 72 hours.

I would never let water touch anything I ceramic coated in less than 72 hours. 24 hours is laughable.

PPF is superior in every way vs ceramic coating, other than the hydrophobic properties.

Ceramic coating PPF is definitely advised, and some PPF now comes pre-coated.
Appreciate 5
Patton2502938.00
3002 tii2279.50
james1138118.50
dlance6.00
      03-28-2023, 10:34 AM   #52
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post

Ceramic coating takes 30 days to fully cure, but reaches 90% cure after 72 hours.

I would never let water touch anything I ceramic coated in less than 72 hours. 24 hours is laughable.

PPF is superior in every way vs ceramic coating, other than the hydrophobic properties.

Thank you. Extremely well said.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 12:54 PM   #53
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Paint correction and ceramic coat the paint, and then you would PPF it.

For me, PPF > Ceramic/Paint Correction, though I had both done as soon as I bought my car.

I've already had the PPF on one of my panel replaced, and the paint looked pristine underneath the PPF, like it was freshly painted (and corrected). Once the PPF was reapplied, I had to wait a few days for it to "seal" to the paint, and then the panel looked great again too.

But I like knowing my factory paint is protected.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 03:33 PM   #54
Nick8915
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:

For a ceramic coated vehicle without PPF, would you advise to limit driving the vehicle (in dry conditions) during the 72 hour period, specifically between hours 25 & 72?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 04:41 PM   #55
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
To the OP: For the fat $$ they charged, did the dealer even provide you with any documentation from the ceramic manufacturer? If so, as they should have, then simply follow their recommendation. If NOT - huge red flag. I'd then be willing to bet that the lot boy who did the PDI wiped on some stuff out of a bottle that says "ceramic" somewhere on it (what automotive detailing product doesn't nowadays?) and called it a day.
      03-28-2023, 04:50 PM   #56
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
lmfao yall blowing money on the stupidest shit ever, getting bullshitted by a bunch of coked out marketers. with term's like "synergy" in your fuel and ceramic coating a piece of fucking plastic which is already overkill on a sub 100k car.
      03-28-2023, 05:06 PM   #57
dudley@07726
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MB E400 Cp, 2016 Audi A6

Quote:

English please!
      03-28-2023, 08:56 PM   #58
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley@07726 View Post
English please!
Spent all my English learning money on PPF and ceramic coat
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      03-28-2023, 09:45 PM   #59
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick8915 View Post
For a ceramic coated vehicle without PPF, would you advise to limit driving the vehicle (in dry conditions) during the 72 hour period, specifically between hours 25 & 72?
The issue is literally the water molecules preventing the ceramic from cross-linking, which is curing, especially if you have missed a spot. You've heard of guys that say their ceramic coating didn't even last a year? That's what happened.

I do all of my ceramic coating in the Winter so the car sits for 90 days before it goes anywhere, but I understand that's unrealistic.

IMO, just wait as long as you can before driving it, and certainly as long as you can before getting it wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Paint correction and ceramic coat the paint, and then you would PPF it.
Who on earth told you to do that? It's absolutely wrong. Paint correction, then PPF, then ceramic coating. No installer worth their salt would put CC on a car before PPF, the film itself would have major issues adhering to the surface.
Appreciate 3
Patton2502938.00
dlance6.00
      03-29-2023, 04:39 AM   #60
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The issue is literally the water molecules preventing the ceramic from cross-linking, which is curing, especially if you have missed a spot. You've heard of guys that say their ceramic coating didn't even last a year? That's what happened.

I do all of my ceramic coating in the Winter so the car sits for 90 days before it goes anywhere, but I understand that's unrealistic.

IMO, just wait as long as you can before driving it, and certainly as long as you can before getting it wet.

Who on earth told you to do that? It's absolutely wrong. Paint correction, then PPF, then ceramic coating. No installer worth their salt would put CC on a car before PPF, the film itself would have major issues adhering to the surface.

If you keep spewing actual facts here, they’re going to get pissed off at you. PPF and Ceramic Coating is a waste of money. Didn’t you know that? Haven’t you seen that one of our very members on this thread spent all his school money on it only to be disappointed? Now he had a crappy looking car and he can’t construct a proper and in most cases, a comprehendible sentence.

On a serious note let me back you up because what you said is correct.
1. Foam wash the car.
2. Paint correction
3. Foam wash the car.
4. Apply PPF.
5. Apply ceramic coating.

Anyone who is actually interested in knowing the truth about this can simply use the Internet. There are tons of articles on this explaining the benefits of all these procedures and why it’s good for you to do them to cars that you actually care about the paint staying pristine for as long as possible. Third-party articles that don’t sell products as well as product manufacturing articles and dealer articles. Dozens of hours worth of videos and articles with information that are all pretty consistent with one another. At this point (2023) to say that PPF, and Ceramic Coating does not have benefits and is a rip off is the same as saying that you highly doubt a Boeing 747 will ever be able to get off the ground and fly.
Appreciate 3
///MPhatic13765.50
dlance6.00
      04-04-2023, 12:48 PM   #61
james1138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo5 View Post
So lets get back on topic.

Ceramic coatings are considered safe to drive after they have been wiped off. Yes, they need to be protected from water for first 24-48 hours and no washing for first week, but other that that there's not much to it.

It's not like a wet paint which will collect dust and garbage if it's fresh. If it's dry to touch and you wont get any sap, water or other bonding contaminants then you are perfectly safe to drive it off within an hour of application. Why appliers want to keep it for 24 hours is to guarantee quality of work. They dont know how you are going to drive it or what will be the storage conditions for coming days.

Based on the information that you gave, you wont have any issues.
Thank you! This is exactly what I wanted to hear.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 12:51 PM   #62
james1138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
To the OP: For the fat $$ they charged, did the dealer even provide you with any documentation from the ceramic manufacturer? If so, as they should have, then simply follow their recommendation. If NOT - huge red flag. I'd then be willing to bet that the lot boy who did the PDI wiped on some stuff out of a bottle that says "ceramic" somewhere on it (what automotive detailing product doesn't nowadays?) and called it a day.
The ceramic coating came with a seven-year paint warranty. So I’m not too worried. If there’s any issues with it, they will repaint it if needed.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 05:29 PM   #63
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1138 View Post
The ceramic coating came with a seven-year paint warranty. So I’m not too worried. If there’s any issues with it, they will repaint it if needed.
7 year warranty only if you maintain it properly e.g hand wash only etc.

Don't take it through an automated car wash either unless you want the coating wrecking.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 05:35 PM   #64
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1138 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by malvern_man View Post
7 year warranty only if you maintain it properly e.g hand wash only etc.

Don't take it through an automated car wash either unless you want the coating wrecking.
I'm confused... a warranty on the paint? Like the ceramic is suppose to damage the paint or something? Never heard of that personally. I figured a ceramic warranty would just warranty that the ceramic coating would last that long. However in that case you get into how do you prove the ceramic is gone unless you get absolutely no water beading or something.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 07:08 PM   #65
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
I even ceramic coated my Eventuri Intake and Inlets with Gyeon RIMS for the higher temps

Appreciate 1
Patton2502938.00
      04-05-2023, 07:36 PM   #66
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
I always Ceramic coat the PPF, it's part of my routine
Appreciate 1