THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum New to me 2017 m240xi suggestions for daily driver mods

03-18-2023, 11:01 AM   #1
Shaq in the Ozarks
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi AA doe pipe dinan

New to me 2017 m240xi suggestions for daily driver mods

Good morning to those on this wonderful forum! This is my first post as a two series owner I have been looking for a daily driver that would allow me to escape work and enjoy the back roads on a short workday and I think I found it in this little m240xi
Car is stock and appears well maintained with 32k miles.
Coming from 2019 m5 comp with BMW performance exhaust
Loved the car may have been a mistake to let her go but the m240xi is lots of smiles.
Plan to get to know her while winter lingers longer than expected
I would like to learn about tuning her to be a fun daily that could take the long way home through our beautiful Ozark mountains.

For reference I am not looking for a track car but a car that would be better sounding more engine performance smoother shifting and better handling braking Ing without losing date night usability and the ability to drive it to work in a hospital and not look like an old man trying to recapture a boy racer look.

Thinking bmw performance exhaust
Cold intake which one ?
MHD stage 1 tune
XHP transmission tune

Not clear about
Suspension and brake upgrades
Intercooler upgrades
What else ?
Too much?

Car was purchased with Michelin pilot sport AS 3 on the car
Will use them as it is 20 degrees this morning
Change for summer rubber soon enough
PS4 most likely

This will be my first car to upgrade after purchase
My 2015 911 targa 4s has some tech art body aero and exhaust work
Wouldn't do it again as tech art support has gotten poor.
Love the car but a bit flashy for daily work in the present economic times.
She comes out for dedicated club driving and touring on weekends

Many thanks for your thoughts
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      03-18-2023, 11:33 AM   #2
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaq in the Ozarks View Post
Good morning to those on this wonderful forum! This is my first post as a two series owner I have been looking for a daily driver that would allow me to escape work and enjoy the back roads on a short workday and I think I found it in this little m240xi
Loved the car may have been a mistake to let her go but the m240xi is lots of smiles.
I would like to learn about tuning her to be a fun daily that could take the long way home through our beautiful Ozark mountains.

For reference I am not looking for a track car but a car that would be better sounding more engine performance smoother shifting and better handling braking Ing without losing date night usability and the ability to drive it to work in a hospital and not look like an old man trying to recapture a boy racer look.

Cold intake which one ?
MHD stage 1 tune
XHP transmission tune

Not clear about
Intercooler upgrades
What else ?
Too much?

PS4 most likely

Love the car but a bit flashy for daily work in the present economic times.
She comes out for dedicated club driving and touring on weekends

Many thanks for your thoughts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new M240i! You can't go wrong with the MHD and XHP tunes. I have both and have enjoyed tooling around with settings and getting more out of my car. For the cold air intake I'd say do the Dinan one or just leave the stock air box in and replace the filter. You will want a more enclosed box type of air intake to keep intake air temps down. I had the MST intake for a while. It sounded amazing but my intake air temps were higher than the stock air box so assumed I was losing some performance for the return of more engine noises.

The M performance axle back exhaust is a nice add on and isn't too loud. If you want to open things up to get more noise and HP consider a downpipe and mid pipe too. I have a catless downpipe and the M perf exhaust. It isn't too loud unless I want it to be.

I highly recommend getting the M Perf LSD if your car is RWD to improve traction, cornering, etc. I haven't done too much looking into suspension and brake improvements. Lots of folks do the M2 front control arms to improve the steering feel, and add stiffer bushings in the rear. There are of course tons of options for lowering springs and coilovers but I am not in expert on how those things improve performance vs stiffening the ride and lowering the car.

No, there is never too much you can do to these cars
      03-20-2023, 03:13 PM   #3
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Check out this section of the forum:
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=664
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2023, 09:41 AM   #4
RGM330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW 228i Gran Coupe

I have a 2018 M240i identical to yours. I have added the MPE and Racing Dynamics strut tower brace. I bought it as a CPO in 2020 with 17K on it and now have 32K. It has been a delight to drive. As an aside, I came from a 2019 Cayman (owned a total of 5 Caymans-08, 12 R, 14, 16, 19). While it is not a Cayman it is an excellent spirited performing Daily Driver.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 11:53 PM   #5
CT7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:

Cold intake which one ?
MHD stage 1 tune
XHP transmission tune

Not clear about
Intercooler upgrades
What else ?
Too much?

PS4 most likely

Love the car but a bit flashy for daily work in the [...]
congrats! fellow m240 x drive owner here.
i would go with:
-an active autowerks catted downpipe
-mhd stage 2
-xhp stage 2 or 3

you can also check out some apex wheels and dinan lowering springs with bump stops. this is what i have prioritized in my build thus far.

the tune i recommended is MHD becuase it’s super easy to use compared to bootmod3 with the b58 platform you really only need to upgrade the downpipe to go stage 2. if you want to go stage 2+ you need an aftermarket high pressure fuel pump.

the stock airbox is really really good on the b58 but if i had to go with one i would go the cts turbo intake because of sound and price point is reasonable. (had one on my n55 and it sounded amazing compared to the others) just make sure you get the updated intake that doesn’t throw a CEL.

in a big continental guy i run extreme contact 245/35/18 squared. they have served me so well over the years.

i’m planning on deleting both my resonators soon for exhaust nodes (keeping stock muffler) if you look at some youtube vids of that same setup they sound pretty damn good. m performance exhaust also sounds great.

hope this helps don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2023, 11:50 PM   #6
Shaq in the Ozarks
United_States
Rep

Thanks, CT 7

Just ordered that exact downpipe as well as the dining cold air intake from Mike and Extreme Power House. Can't wait to get those installed.

Never tune the car but it sounds like the MHD and XHP are the way to go for a car that would be a daily driver as well as a Ozark Mountain runner.

I to very impressed with the continental extreme contact. Picked up at Mercedes AMG GTC ROADSTER that came equipped with the Continental extreme contact. DWS and I was quite impressed with this cold weather abilities and now that it's warmed up it is an impressive tire . Presently I have the Michelin AS 3 which came with the car. Will be changing when the treads give out.

Appreciate all the help.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 10:52 PM   #7
Shaq in the Ozarks
United_States
Rep

Want to update this great forum 4 months later
Love this car
Daily driving
Spirited drives
One long interstate runs
Just wonderful

Here is what I have done to date
Added Apple car play still finicky
Coco mats love them

Dinan cold air intake
A A catted down pipe
Thanks Mike at Extreme Power House

M Performance axle back exhaust
All fluids exchanged
Spark plugs and coils replaced

XPH stage 2 transmission tune.
Oslo Blue wrap.

Car is quite amazing.
Haven't done an engine tune but thinking about MHD

Car is doing well as an all around fun car to take to work quietly and leave work in a spirited manner.

Thanks to all
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-10-2023, 08:47 AM   #8
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Want to update this great forum 4 months later
Love this car
Daily driving
Spirited drives
One long interstate runs
Just wonderful

Here is what I have done to date
Added Apple car play still finicky
Coco mats love them

Dinan cold air intake
A A catted down pipe
Thanks Mike at Extreme Power House

M Performance axle back exhaust
All fluids exchanged
Spark plugs and coils replaced

XPH stage 2 transmission tune.
Oslo Blue wrap.

Car is quite amazing.
Haven't done an engine tune but thinking about MHD

Car is doing well as an all around fun car to take to work quietly and leave work in a spirited manner.

Thanks to all
Looks nice! You have done quite a bit in 4 months. If you have any questions on the MHD tune fire away. Been using it for the last few thousand miles and I recommend it.
      08-10-2023, 10:19 AM   #9
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

Curious what your thought is on xhp stage 2?

I ran bm3 stage 2 with xhp stage 2 myself with AA downpipe. Sometimes the shifting is great, sometimes it shift at a weird time and Im not 100% sure I like it. Some people say the magic is in stage 3
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 10:25 AM   #10
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajowhan View Post
Curious what your thought is on xhp stage 2?

I ran bm3 stage 2 with xhp stage 2 myself with AA downpipe. Sometimes the shifting is great, sometimes it shift at a weird time and Im not 100% sure I like it. Some people say the magic is in stage 3
I know you weren't asking me but I have tried all 3 stages of the XHP. I started with stage 3 and things seemed too harsh. Plus I read some reviews about how stage 3 might sacrifice long term performance of the transmission. Stage 2 felt much of the same. I am now running stage 1 and it feels the best to me vs the other 2 stages.