THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Will a Large Dog Fit?

05-29-2020, 12:59 PM   #23
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldstyle View Post
That silly statistic is only true because you are near your home every single time you go anywhere... (and again upon your return).
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
That's why I keep my car in climate controlled storage 5 miles away from my house.

Of course the logic limitation of the statistic is obvious. The reason this was reported originally was to offset the human frailty of taking excessive comfort and undue sense of security from being "close to home" and failing to maintain reasonable precautions, such as wearing restraints. Humans are much too susceptible to magical thinking, such as, "I'll be fine...I'm just going to the store." Short or long trip, nearby or far, the same precautions are needed, but not always followed.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2020, 01:06 PM   #24
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
That's why I keep my car in climate controlled storage 5 miles away from my house.
I wondered whether you were kidding... but it felt mean to open with, "If you are serious." You might have been 17, intoxicated, or intellectually challenged in some other manner.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #25
emac
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by emac View Post
Hi all, do you think a large dog would be able to squeeze in the back if a 2 series for say short trips to the groomer or vet?
Well... how big is this dog? serious question.

I don't think it can be a problem. Unless we are talking about this guy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Quote:
Hi all, do you think a large dog would be able to squeeze in the back if a 2 series for say short trips to the groomer or vet?
Well... how big is this dog? serious question.

I don't think it can be a problem. Unless we are talking about this guy...
That picture is hilarious! And thanks all!

Actually, I don't have the dog yet but like everyone else these days, might adopt one. I'm Saint Bernard/ Newfoundland type of dog person. The ones my family used to have were about 135 pounds, so big dogs but not as massive as some of the larger ones that reach 150 plus. I remember we put those two dogs in the back of a Mercedes coupe before getting a 3 series wagon, so was wondering how roomy the 2 series is back there and how wide the opening is for the dog to get in.

I really like the 2 series but this may call for a 4 door or an SUV.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 02:02 PM   #26
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440xi GC

Quote:
I remember we put those two dogs in the back of a Mercedes coupe before getting a 3 series wagon, so was wondering how roomy the 2 series is back there and how wide the opening is for the dog to get in.
With a dog the size of a St. Bernard, I would be worried about damage to the front seat when the dog is getting in. This video does a good job of showing the challenge (for a human)... (go to 7:35 in the video). The seat may be able to be moved up farther than he has it here, not sure.

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 04:30 PM   #27
emac
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I remember we put those two dogs in the back of a Mercedes coupe before getting a 3 series wagon, so was wondering how roomy the 2 series is back there and how wide the opening is for the dog to get in.
With a dog the size of a St. Bernard, I would be worried about damage to the front seat when the dog is getting in. This video does a good job of showing the challenge (for a human)... (go to 7:35 in the video). The seat may be able to be moved up farther than he has it here, not sure.

Quote:
Quote:

Very helpful, thank you! Yeah... that'd be tight fit. Might work in a pinch but not ideal.

Thanks all for your advice!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:00 PM   #28
2breezy
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i vert

Dog says convertible. Don't have a pic of him in the current M235i, but when the wife takes him, he stands beside the vert, and refuses to go to the back of the CR-V. I fold the seats down and keep a crate pad back there for him.

No restraint either. Not that worried about it. And before you say he can't choose...I took a couple of trips to Afghanistan, everything is a calculated risk.

Don't walk out your front door if you want to negate some risk. Oh, wait, more accidents happen in the home. Set up the recliner in the front yard.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
qlaval52.50
      05-29-2020, 07:15 PM   #29
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Very helpful, thank you! Yeah... that'd be tight fit. Might work in a pinch but not ideal.

I wouldn't rely on that video. It looks like he's got the seats as far back as they can possibly go. I sit probably close to a full foot forward of that and have had people >6ft tall behind me with no issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:35 PM   #30
emac
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2breezy View Post
Dog says convertible. Don't have a pic of him in the current M235i, but when the wife takes him, he stands beside the vert, and refuses to go to the back of the CR-V. I fold the seats down and keep a crate pad back there for him.

No restraint either. Not that worried about it. And before you say he can't choose...I took a couple of trips to Afghanistan, everything is a calculated risk.

Don't walk out your front door if you want to negate some risk. Oh, wait, more accidents happen in the home. Set up the recliner in the front yard.
Quote:

Thanks for this reply. I see dogs loving convertibles, I just always kind of worried about them not being secure enough in them.

I actually have an F-Type roadster (no longer have the Z4) but that seems like a stretch fitting a dog up front in a 2 seater.

The problem with SUV's is they are both off the ground, so a dog may need help getting in or a ramp.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:38 PM   #31
emac
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
Quote:

I wouldn't rely on that video. It looks like he's got the seats as far back as they can possibly go. I sit probably close to a full foot forward of that and have had people >6ft tall behind me with no issue.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
Quote:

Ah okay, thank you for that. Well, seems like it's possible. I should probably go for a bigger car but I just prefer smaller vehicles from a driving standpoint, as I'm sure everyone in this section appreciates. Smaller cars but bigger dogs.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 08:04 PM   #32
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
I see dogs loving convertibles, I just always kind of worried about them not being secure enough in them.
I'm reminded of a vet friend telling me decades ago that she spent summers treating dogs who'd either lost sight in an eye or had an eye seriously injured when their heads were exposed to the exterior air stream of a moving car. IIRC, impacts with insects were the cause of those injuries.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:03 PM   #33
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I'm reminded of a vet friend telling me decades ago that she spent summers treating dogs who'd either lost sight in an eye or had an eye seriously injured when their heads were exposed to the exterior air stream of a moving car. IIRC, impacts with insects were the cause of those injuries.
Goggles for the dogs for safety! Insects and even raindrops can hurt at speed, let a lone small stones, especially on two-way roads with fairly high speeds. Needs at least the same eye protection as when riding a motorcycle when the head is exposed to the full airstream.

I took a stone about 20mm in diameter just above the visor on my helmet last year when driving the Caterham without the windshield (from the tyre of a truck coming the other way), left quite a gash in the shell with a closing speed of about 240km/h.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 09:53 AM   #34
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
One cannot safely hold a dog any more than one can safely hold an infant. Both require restraints. In the event of impact, the rough calculation is F=MA. 50lb dog at 30 mpg impact is approximately 1,500 lbs someone is trying to hold while someone in front is hoping that "missile" is not aimed toward their head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I take my dog along for test drives all the time. Getting him in and out of the back seat easily is a factor (albeit not the highest priority factor) when looking at cars. I've never once had a dealer complain or refuse, for the most part they enjoy having him along. Granted he's small, hypoallergenic and doesn't shed, so not really a big problem.

To Sportstick typical sage advice, he's always in his lookout seat with a harness. For dogs that are too big for a seat like that, any dog no matter how big can wear a harness that's attached to an empty seat belt buckle, the strap is like $5.
We use a harness and restraint too. Current dog has the "Snoozer" lookout seat (also with a restraint) because he's not too big. Most of our dogs love to ride along, especially the current dog.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 02:07 PM   #35
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i MSport THP Dinan V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMc View Post
We use a harness and restraint too. Current dog has the "Snoozer" lookout seat (also with a restraint) because he's not too big. Most of our dogs love to ride along, especially the current dog.
Same here with the restraint. My dog is about 55 lbs and the restraint hooks from the seat belt to his harness and gives him just enough slack to sit up but most of the time he lies down during any REQUIRED trips (not a fan of having a dog in my car...that's for our SUV). Even with these precautions, in a bad accident it probably would not be a very good outcome for the dog.

Last edited by Winemaker2; 05-31-2020 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 11:37 AM   #36
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
Isn't insect impact mentioned in Jack Kerouac's 'On the Road'? Or am I thinking of another famous American Road Trip novel?
      05-31-2020, 07:01 PM   #37
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i MSport THP Dinan V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
Isn't insect impact mentioned in Jack Kerouac's 'On the Road'? Or am I thinking of another famous American Road Trip novel?
Speaking of insect impact, this is the first BMW I have owned when a insect hits the side mirrors the sound is so great I start looking for cracks in my windshield. Must be the plastic casings which even covered in xpel make a horrendous whack.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 10:04 AM   #38
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Same here with the restraint. My dog is about 55 lbs and the restraint hooks from the seat belt to his harness and gives him just enough slack to sit up but most of the time he lies down during any REQUIRED trips (not a fan of having a dog in my car...that's for our SUV). Even with these precautions, in a bad accident it probably would not be a very good outcome for the dog.
Your dog is bigger than mine so you'd have to do the math on all the physics per second per second bullsh!t that I don't understand, but my 12 lb dog was in a Snoozer Lookout seat with harness attached to the seat belt when a cab driver hit me offset head-on, at an angle into my headlight. I was driving 35-40mph he was doing the same, and my Toureg sustained over $30K in damage and a bent frame. Dog was startled but otherwise perfectly fine, took him to the vet just to be sure and not a scratch on him.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 11:08 AM   #39
AlexanderWeaver
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

I apologize for the delay in response. Wish I had found this thread earlier. When it comes to taking a big pup on short trips, comfort, and safety should always be your top priorities. I hope you were able to find a solution that works for you and your furry friend. And just in case you're still interested, becoming a veterinary assistant can be a pawsome career choice for animal lovers. This resource (https://www.veterinaryschoolsu.com/) has all the info you need to know about the job and how to get started. Hope all is well with you and your big dog.

Last edited by AlexanderWeaver; 02-14-2023 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 04:32 PM   #40
MattBMW235XI
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235xi

I have a german shepherd/ Bernese Mountain Dog Mix, she is about 75lbs and she has no problem fitting in the back seats. The furthest distance I have done is 2 1/2 hours and she seems pretty comfy back there. I do pad up the seats as the centre is the plastic tray to help with the her being a bit more comfortable.

Next time she's back there I'll snap a photo!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 10:37 AM   #41
gsell
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i xdrive

YES

We have a Berneese Mtn dog. 110 lbs and he fits really well.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 12:19 PM   #42
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

My 40 lb labradoodle hated my car. Because I made him sit in the back even if the passenger was free and I refused to take off the wind screen over the back seats. No head room to look out and that stupid plastic cup holder in the middle. He was pissed.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 03:06 PM   #43
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

My 11lbs maltipoo fit well on her car seat which sit well on the rear seat. Getting her in is a breeze.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 04:37 PM   #44
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Appreciate 0