THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Rebadging M235i

06-19-2021, 02:06 PM   #1
PiddlyD
Rep
Drives: BMW F23 M235iC, BMW F83 M4

Rebadging M235i

So - at some point after taking delivery of my used 2016 F23 - my wife was actually the one who noticed it was de-badged.

To each his own, but de-badging seems like a kind of "tribal" thing to me. People who care enough to debadge their cars generally are part of a particular car-culture that I am not a part of. I've never cared for it. I don't want smoked headlights or side reflectors, neon or led effects, or many other non-stock cosmetic mods on my cars. I'm also not ashamed to have a bimmer that isn't a "real" M but has an abundance of M badges on it. I mean, my other car is an M4... so I figure I've got the "real M car" credibility covered.

I prefer my cars to look very stock.

The rear badge, I can see the outline of where the original adhesive was if I look closely, so that won't be difficult to replace.

But the side/fender badges - I'm having difficulty sourcing the real thing - and I'm not sure how to get placement correctly. I guess I could just eyeball it - but I'm wondering if someone with a badged M235i might send me

a: The measurements of their fender badges
b: The distance in inches from the ground to the bottom of the badge.
c: The distance in inches from the door sill to the back edge of the badge.

And if anyone has any other tips on making sure the badges are aligned correctly and level - that would be awesome, too.

I've considered just finding one on a lot and doing the measurements there - but I don't want to risk getting buyer's remorse on the one I have compared to one I can't.

Last edited by PiddlyD; 06-19-2021 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 07:38 PM   #2
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

If you are talking about the little M badges between the front wheel and door, the 2016's didn't have them. In the US, only the 2014 and early 2015's had them.
Appreciate 2
spidy512491.50
Devils41259.50
      07-31-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

side M fender badges are about $80 (canadian) dealer only, you can get them from online sources, they will fade in a year and look like crap.

if you "really" care then just get it from a dealer, the real genuine part.
as for fit, I eyeballed it, from various pictures, I simply measure top/down/side and worked out a %.

A couple of guy's thought it was stock, so I did a good job, the M on the back was half the M2, my car has the m badge delete option

I went out and bought them and put them on.

TBH I don't give a shit what people think or shaming for putting badges on, my car is not an M car, it has the m-sport package and that's good enough for me.

I'll get a couple of pics and see if I can get some measurements for you
Also TBH, if there out on either side, doesnt matter, no one will notice or say anything.

They will be too busy admiring your ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiddlyD View Post
So - at some point after taking delivery of my used 2016 F23 - my wife was actually the one who noticed it was de-badged.

To each his own, but de-badging seems like a kind of "tribal" thing to me. People who care enough to debadge their cars generally are part of a particular car-culture that I am not a part of. I've never cared for it. I don't want smoked headlights or side reflectors, neon or led effects, or many other non-stock cosmetic mods on my cars. I'm also not ashamed to have a bimmer that isn't a "real" M but has an abundance of M badges on it. I mean, my other car is an M4... so I figure I've got the "real M car" credibility covered.

I prefer my cars to look very stock.

The rear badge, I can see the outline of where the original adhesive was if I look closely, so that won't be difficult to replace.

But the side/fender badges - I'm having difficulty sourcing the real thing - and I'm not sure how to get placement correctly. I guess I could just eyeball it - but I'm wondering if someone with a badged M235i might send me

a: The measurements of their fender badges
b: The distance in inches from the ground to the bottom of the badge.
c: The distance in inches from the door sill to the back edge of the badge.

And if anyone has any other tips on making sure the badges are aligned correctly and level - that would be awesome, too.

I've considered just finding one on a lot and doing the measurements there - but I don't want to risk getting buyer's remorse on the one I have compared to one I can't.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 04:17 PM   #4
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

measurements:

trunk: M height from bottom of M to lip 3/4" From end of M to end of trunk lid 11"

Fender: bottom of M to the top of the sill 12.5" Width from fender to M 4"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 04:18 PM   #5
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I used a spirit level to make sure they were level
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 02:18 PM   #6
Devils41
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Competition Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
If you are talking about the little M badges between the front wheel and door, the 2016's didn't have them. In the US, only the 2014 and early 2015's had them.
This right here. They stopped the side M badges on the 2016's (US Spec). I have a 2016 as well and it did not come with the Side M badges a buddy who has a 2015, his did. If you are looking for OEM then sounds like the back badge is all you need.
Appreciate 0