THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Another Active Autowerke AA8 Tune Review

04-15-2016, 11:36 AM   #23
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

I'm not trying to rag on any of the products, or their suppliers. I'm just saying that I'm disappointed with the results.

Maybe my expectations are unreasonable, but I would just like it to be smoother and more predictable than it is. I remember driving (Euro) turbo cars back in the bad old days of crazy and unpredictable lag, and it reminds me of that, which is not what I signed up for.

Am I doing something wrong? I can't imagine there's anything wrong with the harness or the box because surely then it would either not work at all, or I'd be getting codes and CELs. I could tell the difference between Maps 4-6, so that part is working. Obviously there's going to be a steeper slope to the torque curve, because it's got to get to a higher value, and obviously I can't describe it any further without a dyno graph.

I chose the AA8 because it had the camshaft sensor (PITA though it was to fit) and intuitively I figured this would allow them to map the boost with RPM and make it smoother. Maybe some cars take to tunes better than others? Maybe the gas I'm using isn't good enough? Maybe my style of driving just hasn't allowed the ECU to calibrate itself properly (especially as I've reset it a few times). I don't know. And I don't know how to find out.

Without the tune it's still a very fast car. No, it doesn't have that crazy shove in 2nd gear, but I have to ask myself how often can I really use that. Maybe such ordinary thoughts disqualify me from this forum?

Anyway. I'm past the 30-day return period, and I'm not expecting any special favors. I'm going to drive it around for a week or two with the tune disabled and let my brain reset. Then I'll try it again.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 02:50 PM   #24
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Like I said, I'm not trying to start another argument. I'm just disappointed, and trying to determine if I'm being unreasonable in my expectations of a smoother power delivery. I've been driving it with the tune bypassed for a couple of days now, and it's smooth as butter, but of course it feels slow, especially in 2nd...

There's nothing wrong with a tune giving a kick, because that's half the fun, and like I said before, more torque means a sharper curve, but it needs to be predictable and consistent, and to me it felt like neither.

As for the slump between gears, is it normal for the boost to drop off that quickly and to have to wait for it to kick again? I've been driving manuals all my life so I'm not a slow shifter. Stock, there doesn't seem like any slump at all. It just immediately pulls in the next gear. If it can do that with stock boost, why can't it do it with increased boost?

If a certain amount of unpredictability and lack of smoothness is the cost of such trickery, then so be it, but that wasn't what I was led to believe would be the case.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 08:36 PM   #25
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Nobody is arguing. Hope you get your issues fixed.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 09:50 PM   #26
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI
Nobody is arguing. Hope you get your issues fixed.
I think I'm arguing with myself...
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2016, 09:54 PM   #27
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneves View Post
I think I'm arguing with myself...
maybe try some octane booster and see if you notice any difference
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 03:40 AM   #28
Gotulukn
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible f83. M235i Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneves View Post
Like I said, I'm not trying to start another argument. I'm just disappointed, and trying to determine if I'm being unreasonable in my expectations of a smoother power delivery. I've been driving it with the tune bypassed for a couple of days now, and it's smooth as butter, but of course it feels slow, especially in 2nd...

There's nothing wrong with a tune giving a kick, because that's half the fun, and like I said before, more torque means a sharper curve, but it needs to be predictable and consistent, and to me it felt like neither.

As for the slump between gears, is it normal for the boost to drop off that quickly and to have to wait for it to kick again? I've been driving manuals all my life so I'm not a slow shifter. Stock, there doesn't seem like any slump at all. It just immediately pulls in the next gear. If it can do that with stock boost, why can't it do it with increased boost?

If a certain amount of unpredictability and lack of smoothness is the cost of such trickery, then so be it, but that wasn't what I was led to believe would be the case.

Hello guys! My first post on this forum! I purchased a 2014 m235i a month ago and have been utilizing this forum and others for info on upgrades. I almost purchased the active 8 tune until I read about the inconsistencies /unpredictableness, like in this topic along with this one, in which he got some misfire codes, CELS, dealer discovering he used a piggyback

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...151560&page=11

The AFE scorcher, which had a gain of like 10whp/34wtq, with an unimpressive n55 dyno chart , doesn't seem like such a great bang for the buck either "mild tune."

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...1033206&page=4

I've already contacted Cobb and they're not making their accessport compatible for our cars =(

I am considering the BMS n55 stage 1, for simplicity and warranty service reasons, but 3psi (or is it 3.5psi?) sounds low, when active 8, at some RPM's is over 5psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The other thing to consider is without CAN bus access you'll throw hidden mass airflow detection codes over 3.5psi. I know warranty isn't a consideration for you at this point since your VIN was reported to BMW when you went Dinan but for others its something to keep in mind.

Mike
How often would these hidden codes occur for the n55's? because I would purchase a BMS stage 1 today, if BMS can modify the boost to 4psi before shipping it out to me ! I have access to 93 octane always.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, I have spent many hours doing research and I would be thankful for some more insight!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 06:32 PM   #29
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotulukn View Post
Hello guys! My first post on this forum! I purchased a 2014 m235i a month ago and have been utilizing this forum and others for info on upgrades. I almost purchased the active 8 tune until I read about the inconsistencies /unpredictableness, like in this topic along with this one, in which he got some misfire codes, CELS, dealer discovering he used a piggyback

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...151560&page=11

The AFE scorcher, which had a gain of like 10whp/34wtq, with an unimpressive n55 dyno chart , doesn't seem like such a great bang for the buck either "mild tune."

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...1033206&page=4

I've already contacted Cobb and they're not making their accessport compatible for our cars =(

I am considering the BMS n55 stage 1, for simplicity and warranty service reasons, but 3psi (or is it 3.5psi?) sounds low, when active 8, at some RPM's is over 5psi.

How often would these hidden codes occur for the n55's? because I would purchase a BMS stage 1 today, if BMS can modify the boost to 4psi before shipping it out to me ! I have access to 93 octane always.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, I have spent many hours doing research and I would be thankful for some more insight!
Not sure how I missed all the stuff in the M235i thread. I really thought I'd read all the way through that one already. I guess not.

So some people there seem to have had all the same problems I'm having with inconsistent power delivery and lag between gears.

I reconnected my AA8 and set it to 3 (I had previously tried 4-6) and it does seem a little smoother, but there is still some hesitation and inter-gear lag, plus it doesn't seem particularly fast, given that any setting is supposed to give more boost than stock. I'll give it a few more days, then try 4 again, but 5 and 6 were definitely too inconsistent for my liking.

Anyway, this thread is going nowhere. I'll either get used to it, or you'll see a used N20 AA8 in the Classifieds in a few weeks...

Appreciate 0