THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Should I keep the run flats?

06-28-2016, 12:08 AM   #45
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
I'm in Denver and run the OEM run flats in the winter and Bridgestone RE11's in the summer. This is a lease though, if I buy the next car it will be probably Michelin Alpin PA4 in the winter and either RE11's or MPSS's in the summer.

The RFT are low traction, horrible riding garbage. YMMV
RE-11 are amazing street tires as well as the RE-01R that came before them. The current top Bridgestone tire like that is the RE-71R if you are looking for their newest and best tire.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #46
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBucket View Post
I've ran my PSS in those temps and never had any issues, just have to not drive aggressively at all, making sure to brake early, driving with smooth inputs. No cracking or anything like that at all and the roads arent amazing around here.
Risk is not certainty, and we vary in how we manage risk. I've never had a house burn down, but I still renew my homeowner's insurance each year, but that's me, and I am a bit risk-averse. Michelin states they can determine sub-45 degree usage as the cracking of the compound, when it happens, is a specific pattern and they will not warranty it. The cracking is not from bad roads. It starts as micro-cracking as the almost-frozen compound is flexed during rotation. Also, if a kid runs out in front, or someone suddenly loses control in the vehicle's path, the loss of traction of PSS at those temperatures will significantly reduce anyone's ability to successfully avoid a problem. That's just how I personally analyze situations. YMMV.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 12:01 PM   #47
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I had a RF go out on my non-M sport 228 This morning after my 12 and 10 minutes into my 1 hour commute. I ended up limping home at 45mph. Screw those RF tires. I did have 30K miles on them though.

So in doing my research this morning on Tire Rack I decided to go with the new BFG G-Force Comp 2 A/S. It's #2 right behind the MPS A/S +3. Half the price. Still a 400 AA A. less than $600 for a set with mount balance, lifetime rotation balance, and road hazard. I have used the MPS AS in German winters on a 420+HP Mustang without issue and I figured as far as the numbers go I would give these a try.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 05:09 AM   #48
DanATL
Private
Rep
Drives: '89 635CSi, '16 M235i, '23 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
The Pirelli A/S RFT's are terrible...

They ride like shit
They grip like shit
They explode on potholes far more easily then non RFT's (I killed 2 RFT's in 3 months, have had no issues with my non-RFT winters and PSS)

The only thing good about the RFT's is "They are tires". Buying a performance car and saddling it with crap rubber is like trying to make Lebraun play ball in flip flops. Just stop man.

Drive the RFT's till you kill them then replace them with a proper set of tires.
I have the Pirelli P7 all season run flats. Just absolutely horrible. I don't push the limits of adhesion but I have 7 speed bumps between my house and the grocery store. That's 28 jarring clomps on each trip. Trying to decide if I go PSS or the AS3+ that are on my e39. I live in Atlanta so no snow but it does get cold enough in January to cause concern with summer tires. Anyone in Atlanta or Charlotte run summer tires year round?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 08:27 PM   #49
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I live in Columbia and trying to run summers year round never worked out for me. Once the temps get below 45 most summers turn into bricks and get dangerous. It also changes the silica compound when they freeze and are crap once the weather gets warm again. Just run some really high ranked Ultra High Performance All Seasons like the Michelin Pilot A/S +3 or any of the top 3 ranked brands.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

I'm running the BFG G-Force Comp 2 A/S. So far I really like them. I've had them on my car for a couple of days and the immediate thing you notice is the lack of noise and comfortable ride with more traction. All wins in my book.
Appreciate 0