THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning AFE Magnum FORCE Intake - Impressions three weeks later

07-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #1
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2020 M135i Misano Blue

AFE Magnum FORCE Intake - Impressions three weeks later

I wanted to share some information regarding the AFE magnum force intake now that I have had it on the car for three weeks.

Here's a link to my install-thread:
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146076

Initially, I noticed zero difference from stock in terms of performance, only a big change in sound. At first I thought something was broken but quickly learnt that this is just how these intake systems sound. After about a week I grew really tired of the sound, it constantly swooshes and whines and whatnot.

Two weeks down the line I noticed that my car just didn't feel as responsive in the low to mid rpm range and I started to suspect the Intake. Throttle response was not as sharp below 3,5k but all was fine above 3,5k.

Yesterday I put the stock intake back in and throttle response and low to mid range punch was back!

Now, I am not saying that the AFE Intake is bad, my point is that I gained a little more punch in the higher rpm range and at higher speeds, but for anyone looking to keep the cars current low end power and throttle response I'd say stick to the OEM box.

Hope this information helps anyone on the fence about getting an intake like the AFE magnum. Again, It depends on you preference, low down torque or a bit more power at high rpm.

My current mods:
ESS Custom ECU Flash
ER Catless Downpipe
Wagner Performance Intercooler
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #2
qballis
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp xdrive

I'm constantly thinking about changing back to stock from BMS intake, but I just love the turbo spoiling noise sooooooooo much.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 09:52 AM   #3
Guyhim1
Private
Rep
Drives: M235

I removed my intake as well due to Same
Reasons and strange cold starts . I am now using drop in filter and car runs way smoother . I do miss the sound but I prefer my car the way it runs now.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
Mjosh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I have to agree. I have the same AFE intake on for about a month now. At first I enjoyed the sound but really growing tired of it now and looking to go back to OEM as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 10:39 AM   #5
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep

I thought that I would get better throttle response with an intake, so I was really surprised when i felt the opposite.

Sound definitively got way louder, but like i wrote in my first post - I grew tired of it quite fast.

I got to hand It to AFE though, the build quality is great!
Appreciate 1
jcordier162.50
      07-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #6
Mjosh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Your probably right on the throttle response as well. I just don't recall how the car drove when I had the OEM intake on. I'm definitely going to go back to stock this weekend.

I guess depending on individual needs for low end or high end punch. I'm on the same boat as you and prefer low end since I don't rev high in the power band that much.

Thanks for the post/review!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 08:19 PM   #7
Buckeyes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

I took my AFE intake off for about two days for the service trip to the dealership. Didn't notice a difference but missed the sound greatly. So much so, I had to put it back in as soon as I returned from the dealership, hot engine and all. I'm addicted to the sound but it's so hot in Atlanta I really can't drive with the windows down to really here it. Looking forward to fall.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2015, 11:48 PM   #8
Iceman51sn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M4

I also took it off today getting ready for the fuel pump service tomorrow and damn i miss the sound! The exhaust note is noticeably weaker and that is something I cannot live without (I have the Lightweight system) Performance does not seem better without the intake. Very interesting read...........
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 02:51 AM   #9
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman51sn View Post
I also took it off today getting ready for the fuel pump service tomorrow and damn i miss the sound! The exhaust note is noticeably weaker and that is something I cannot live without (I have the Lightweight system) Performance does not seem better without the intake. Very interesting read...........
are you tuned? maybe It has something to do with the fact that I have a flash and not a piggyback

The only thing I miss is the look of the intake in the engine bay... It looks so boring now with the stock air box..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #10
JibHonk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15 m235i

I've noticed the choppy idle from my BMS intake. I sure would miss the turbo noises tho.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #11
Iceman51sn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manboy View Post
are you tuned? maybe It has something to do with the fact that I have a flash and not a piggyback

The only thing I miss is the look of the intake in the engine bay... It looks so boring now with the stock air box..
Hmmm possibly as I have the BMS Stage 1. And yes I too miss the look of it.

On a side note how do you like the ESS flash?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 12:16 PM   #12
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm possibly as I have the BMS Stage 1. And yes I too miss the look of it.

On a side note how do you like the ESS flash?
I love the flash! Car feels like a muscle car now!
So far, no issues whatsoever.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2015, 01:31 AM   #13
quinntheskimo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

All the talking about the whoosing and spooling of the intake is making me not want it and just get the drop in filter instead. What do you mean the exhaust sound? I feel like it would be hard to hear the exhaust sound with all the turbo sounds like OP suggested, no?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 01:39 PM   #14
Iceman51sn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinntheskimo View Post
All the talking about the whoosing and spooling of the intake is making me not want it and just get the drop in filter instead. What do you mean the exhaust sound? I feel like it would be hard to hear the exhaust sound with all the turbo sounds like OP suggested, no?
An aftermarket intake can amplify the sound of a less restrictive exhaust. Not a lot but its audibly louder. Take my car for example. I bought the intake before I bought the Lightweight exhaust and the exhaust note was the same except for all the "turbo sounds" up front. Once I installed the aftermarket exhaust i was able to compare it with and without the intake. It was a bit louder and beefier with the intake on. Again not a huge difference but driving it everyday you will be able to hear a difference.

Oh and I've never felt that the turbo sounds drown out the exhaust.
Appreciate 0