THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Keeping the M235i is a ... no brainer?

08-02-2018, 04:48 PM   #1
M235ForNow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

Keeping the M235i is a ... no brainer?

I've read a lot of the decisioning threads in the category "should I buy a BMW 2er or XX instead". And so I thought I'd post along a different line - the "should I keep my M235i?" Because I already have one but it's leased and the lease ... is ending soon.

With the lease end in mind, I looked at roughly every other option. A tiny Miata. A (to me) huge Accord. An old Z3. A new Cayman. Electric. Diesel. Whew. The gamut.

My wife's car is an SUV, so there are zero practicality constraints. And I work at home so needing a beater isn't an issue. Hence the "anything goes" as far as options.

On the con side of buying out the lease. I don't drive it a lot. Maaaybe 8K a year. Because I work from home. And often it gets only short trips. Is it "worth it" to have such a high performance car when I really exercise it so infrequently? I could get way better gas mileage with something else - is it logical to burn so much fuel? And BMWs are notoriously expensive out of warranty.

Ummm, okay, I think that's the end of the cons. What were the pros? Well, I love the way it looks (estoril is a favorite color and black trim looks good to my eyes). And I love the way it drives (port installed BMW LSD!). And sounds (port installed Mperf exhaust with rear diffuser!). I love the size and how it's easy to park. (Although I don't like the outside driver side rear mirror placement - for some reason it gets in the way during hard right turns - anyone else have that issue?).

I love how it's been super reliable. That could go away at any time, of course, but so far it's been a rock. It's basically the E36 328/E46 330 I had in the past reborn into a modern version. Same size, upgraded everything (except steering feel, doh!)

And so, after going round and round and considering WAY too much, I finally figured "Let's keep the future classic". Being a 2016, I even get the advantage of the old BMW warranty for the first year of non-lease ownership.

To celebrate, I gave it a total detail, inside and out, engine bay to trunk. (And found a whole brace of parallel scratches on the trunk lid, all canted at a 45 degree angle. Weird. But, elbow grease and a collection of polishes solved that little issue).

So here's the object of my affection. Once it's truly mine, it'll be time for an appropriate vanity plate.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      08-02-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
Speedwell-Industries
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3

Beautiful detail job!! Glad you're keeping it, great car!

Hoping that it gives you great reliability in the long run!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Next step is an E46 inspired wheel from Dallas Custom
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-02-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
M235ForNow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedwell-Industries View Post
Beautiful detail job!! Glad you're keeping it, great car!

Hoping that it gives you great reliability in the long run!
Whoa, now let's not go crazy!
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2018, 05:51 PM   #5
M235ForNow
Private First Class
Rep

And as far as Estoril blue ...

isn't it odd how difficult it can be to capture color? We all know what Estoril looks like so I'm not fretting over the color shift (at least that I see on my Mac running Safari). But the color of that pic of my car on my screen looks much closer to the Montego Blue of my old Z4 (first gen) rather than Estoril. Of course, when I view it on my photo software it looked like a perfect match to the actual car. And I noticed someone just posted his new Sunset Orange 228 pic and on my screen it looked like a great match to the current red (Melbourne?) but nothing like Sunset Orange. Dots why ya just need to see them in person to really know.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2018, 05:55 PM   #6
Speedwell-Industries
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235ForNow View Post
Whoa, now let's not go crazy!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 06:27 PM   #7
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

I plan to keep my 2016 Estoril Vert 228ix Msport same wheels as yours for a long time. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned so why look elsewhere. I only put about 5K miles on it a year. I own a detailing business so it always looks like the day I bought it. Nice detail on yours.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Is it "worth it" to have such a high performance car when I really exercise it so infrequently?

I don't like the outside driver side rear mirror placement - for some reason it gets in the way during hard right turns - anyone else have that issue?
1) Depends totally what bracket you're in. You seem to know the pros and cons regarding the financial reality of what the car might be like to own over the long run, so you're well-placed to answer that question. Let us know how you come down on that one, okay?

2) Did you mean the passenger's outside rear-view mirror? If not, it would seem that the driver's outside rear-view mirror wouldn't be in your field of view while making a right-hand turn.

FWIW, my issue with things in the way during turns, and it's not just with BMWs, is the ever-increasing size of modern A-pillars. I've frequently had to crane my neck around to make sure the drivers-side A-pillar isn't masking a pedestrian about to walk in front of my car. Maybe there's hope: https://www.autoblog.com/2017/08/22/...n-see-through/
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 06:48 PM   #9
M235ForNow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
1) Depends totally what bracket you're in. You seem to know the pros and cons regarding the financial reality of what the car might be like to own over the long run, so you're well-placed to answer that question. Let us know how you come down on that one, okay?

2) Did you mean the passenger's outside rear-view mirror? If not, it would seem that the driver's outside rear-view mirror wouldn't be in your field of view while making a right-hand turn.

FWIW, my issue with things in the way during turns, and it's not just with BMWs, is the ever-increasing size of modern A-pillars. I've frequently had to crane my neck around to make sure the drivers-side A-pillar isn't masking a pedestrian about to walk in front of my car. Maybe there's hope: https://www.autoblog.com/2017/08/22/...n-see-through/
Doh! I meant hard lefts. Low speed, around traffic dividers. The actual curb of the divider disappears completely for me so I have to move my head a good bit to make sure I'm not going to clip it. Never had the issue in any of my prior BMWs.

And I hear you about the A pillars. They're strong as can be (yay if you roll over) but dainty they ain't.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 06:49 PM   #10
M235ForNow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
1) Depends totally what bracket you're in.
Money's not an issue. Just my engineering "size the glass to the contents" mindset. :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 07:01 PM   #11
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Money's not an issue. Just my engineering "size the glass to the contents" mindset. :-)
I get it - my world works just that way, too.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #12
wntrsnowg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Are you ok with an indefinate payment? Keep leasing and get the latest and greatest.

Do you want an end to payments? Seems like you kinda of already want to keep the m235 so just keep it. As far as reliability goes, the car isn't old enough to have enough long-term out of warranty feedback yet to make that call. However, Consumer Reports did give the m235i a 90-something rating so it should be damn good.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 08:35 PM   #13
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
IMO, there's nothing on the market like a 2.

It does everything well... it performs with confidence and finesse, it sound like a symphony, it's firm yet smooth, classically stylish, is loaded with premium features, gets great economy when needed, offers amazing comfort, outstanding reliability, plenty of cachet, makes a superb daily driver/grocery hauler, and is a competent road-tripper. It's quiet when you need, and rowdy when you want. It can stand out, or blend in. It's small enough to be tossable, and yet is as solid as a tank. It has loads of glass area and best-in-class outward visibility. It competes way above its price point, while sacrificing nothing. It's a brilliant and humble 'sleeper' of a sports car in a happy and friendly package. I'd only planned to keep mine for a year, but there's absolutely nothing I'd rather be driving. Honestly, I never expected to like my 2 this much... but I do.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 4
      08-02-2018, 08:38 PM   #14
Neophyte
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wntrsnowg View Post
Are you ok with an indefinate payment? Keep leasing and get the latest and greatest.

Do you want an end to payments? Seems like you kinda of already want to keep the m235 so just keep it. As far as reliability goes, the car isn't old enough to have enough long-term out of warranty feedback yet to make that call. However, Consumer Reports did give the m235i a 90-something rating so it should be damn good.
CR gave it a 98. Basically the main reason I decided to buy this gem and try out my first european car. Still love it to this day (now I'm obsessed with getting the full CF M performance interior). Great decision OP
      08-02-2018, 08:49 PM   #15
M235ForNow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wntrsnowg View Post

Well, I see the "payments" continuing whether I lease or buy. It's very clear and obvious in the lease and behind the scenes in the purchase option but you're still "paying" depreciation every month.

And you're right on CU. The 2er is one of their highest rated vehicles, pinning the needle on performance, reliability, comfort, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 08:52 PM   #16
M235ForNow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post

It does everything well... it performs with confidence and finesse, it sound like a symphony, it's firm yet smooth, classically stylish, is loaded with premium features, gets great economy when needed, offers amazing comfort, outstanding reliability, plenty of cachet, makes a superb daily driver/grocery hauler, and is a competent road-tripper. It's quiet when you need, and rowdy when you want. It can stand out, or blend in. It's small enough to be tossable, and yet is as solid as a tank. It has loads of glass area and best-in-class outward visibility. It competes way above its price point, while sacrificing nothing. It's a brilliant and humble 'sleeper' of a sports car in a happy and friendly package. I'd only planned to keep mine for a year, but there's absolutely nothing I'd rather be driving. Honestly, I never expected to like my 2 this much... but I do.
And the BEST part (of the 235) is that it's part of a Fibonacci sequence. Who doesn't love THAT?! ;-)
Appreciate 2
      08-02-2018, 09:19 PM   #17
MRMIAGI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i THP M-Sport Tech Lig

Garage List
2015 BMW 228I  [0.00]
Definitely keep the car man! I was looking into getting a one of the new C7 corvettes and a forum member here pointed out some of the downsides, he came from a C7 to the M240 actually. I love my 2er and like the other forum members pointed out given the score from ConsumerReports it should be a very reliable car. By the way did you get your wheels powder coated? I don't think I've seen them come black from the factory they look nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #18
M235ForNow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMIAGI View Post
Definitely keep the car man! I was looking into getting a one of the new C7 corvettes and a forum member here pointed out some of the downsides, he came from a C7 to the M240 actually. I love my 2er and like the other forum members pointed out given the score from ConsumerReports it should be a very reliable car. By the way did you get your wheels powder coated? I don't think I've seen them come black from the factory they look nice.
No, they're factory stock orbit gray (which you just CANNOT get touch-up for - I'm making my own tomorrow). Came with the Michelin non run-flats. They just look black because of the lighting. Here's a better pic:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 01:24 AM   #19
phatmanatee
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 m240ix - sunset orange

Nice job.

It goes to show if your personal needs in a car have not changed and you really enjoy it, why mess with something that's working for you?

Personally I regret having turned in my 135is at the end of its lease back in 2016 to buy an X3 which I felt would be more practical, but it wasn't long before I yearned for the driving experience of the coupe. Modding the X3 didn't get me anywhere close to the performance of the coupe so now I'm sitting in an m240 after only a couple of years.

I would have saved money and enjoyed myself much more if I had just purchased the 135is at the end of the lease. I think you made the right decision.
Appreciate 3
aozer994.50
Miata1387.00
      08-03-2018, 08:52 AM   #20
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Congrats on the decision. You already have the LSD and MPE so I think you made a good choice. Definitely keeping my 2016 until 2020 but probably much longer. It's just such a great car.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #21
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M-Sport eDrive 40

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post

And the BEST part (of the 235) is that it's part of a Fibonacci sequence. Who doesn't love THAT?! ;-)
I don't remember much from my Mathematics degree. Use it or loose it with my brain. But I do recall what that is. I have to wonder why I never connected the M235 with it.

xn = xn-1 + xn-2. Yikes
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #22
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
While my mind tends to drift thinking about "the next car" - 718 Boxster, G29 Z4 M40i, G Series M4 Convertible, all I need to do is get into my M235i, drop the top and engage first gear and I am immediately reminded why I chose it and why I still love it. I typically keep my cars at least 5 years or 100k miles, which ever is longer and I see no reason the M235i won't be the same. When I purchased my M235i, I considered a Boxster, a 435 Convertible, the Z4 and even an Audi TT Roadster or S5 Cab and while each of those cars had features and aspects to them which were special in one way or another, none were the total package the M235i was, particularly as a DD. When it comes time to get the next DD, we may just have to find a way to keep the M235i in the stable - I keep thinking it might make the perfect "Florida" car someday.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 1