THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes My "New" Dinan Springs Arrived Today...

07-02-2018, 05:52 PM   #1
Dambro61
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '15 M235xi (Sold); '07 s2k

My "New" Dinan Springs Arrived Today...

TL;DR: Dinan sent me used springs

Let me preface this by stating that, although I ordered these from ECS, they were drop shipped from Dinan and have nothing to do with ECS.

Today while at work, I received a notification that a package arrived at my doorstep. "Could it be!?" I exclaimed, with pure joy as an overwhelming sense of excitement took over. Although I'm new to the BMW world, I am no stranger to the business of aftermarket automotive performance parts, both as a consumer and as an employee. I worked for a well-known manufacturer of BMW and other performance parts back in 2015 and 2016. I know how these companies operate, and I am well aware that at the end of the day, it's a business. I have overheard plenty of customer service calls as the customer service rep sat right next to me. This is the first time that I myself have been on the other end of the phone.

When I arrived home from work today and tore open the Dinan package, I was greeted by a used set of springs for my M235. I'm fully aware that the parts may rattle around a bit during shipping, but this was certainly not the case. The plastic packaging was cut open, the springs were covered in dirt and grime, and the powedercoating was scraped off in several areas now coated in surface rust. I expected more from a company like Dinan.

My guess is that these were a customer return for one reason or another, went into MRB, the warehouse manager decided they were fine, and they shipped them to me as "new". No, Dinan. That is not going to fly, not with me. I've been to those MRB meetings, I've seen this exact situation happen several times, and it's wrong. You want to sell those used springs? Put em up for sale as used and offer a discount.

Last edited by Dambro61; 07-03-2018 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2018, 09:50 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Interesting
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

OH HELL NO!
Those aren't even used! They are WELL used and OLD!
I have a set on my car for about ~ 7K miles including track days. I was just under my car last week and mine still look new.
That looks like something that a forum member would try to unload used for BO.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #4
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dambro61 View Post
TL;DR: Dinan sent me used springs

Let me preface this by stating that, although I ordered these from ECS, they were drop shipped from Dinan and have nothing to do with ECS.

Today while at work, I received a notification that a package arrived at my doorstep. "Could it be!?" I exclaimed, with pure joy as an overwhelming sense of excitement took over. Although I'm new to the BMW world, I am no stranger to the business of aftermarket automotive performance parts, both as a consumer and as an employee. I worked for a well-known manufacturer of BMW and other performance parts back in 2015 and 2016. I know how these companies operate, and I am well aware that at the end of the day, it's a business. I have overheard plenty of customer service calls as the customer service rep sat right next to me. This is the first time that I myself have been on the other end of the phone.

When I arrived home from work today and tore open the Dinan package, I was greeted by a used set of springs for my M235. I'm fully aware that the parts may rattle around a bit during shipping, but this was certainly not the case. The plastic packaging was cut open, the springs were covered in dirt and grime, and the powedercoating was scraped off in several areas now coated in surface rust. I expected more from a company like Dinan.

My guess is that these were a customer return for one reason or another, went into MRB, the warehouse manager decided they were fine, and they shipped them to me as "new". No, Dinan. That is not going to fly, not with me. I've been to those MRB meetings, I've seen this exact situation happen several times, and it's wrong. You want to sell those used springs? Put em up for sale as used an offer a discount.

Complete BS!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
aturk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

I ordered a set of Dinan bumpstops from ECS, they were drop shipped from Dinan, and I only received 2 of the 4.

Not sure how things like this even happen....

But at least my Dinan springs showed up brand new, lol.
      07-03-2018, 02:45 PM   #6
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

Friends don't let friends buy things from ECS.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #7
Dambro61
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaah View Post
Friends don't let friends buy things from ECS.
Can't even put into words how much I miss having a Turn14 account
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 04:10 PM   #8
Dambro61
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturk View Post
I ordered a set of Dinan bumpstops from ECS, they were drop shipped from Dinan, and I only received 2 of the 4.

Not sure how things like this even happen....

But at least my Dinan springs showed up brand new, lol.
Ha, no issues with my bump stops
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #9
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Jeez, my one year old Dinan springs which I just removed look better than that!

What has the experience with ECS been like? They'd essentially have to make it right, for you..
      07-03-2018, 06:50 PM   #10
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep

PS - "Dinan Bumpstops" are a BMW part that can be purchased for MUCH less directly from a BMW parts supply.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 08:35 PM   #11
Dambro61
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Jeez, my one year old Dinan springs which I just removed look better than that!

What has the experience with ECS been like? They'd essentially have to make it right, for you..
ECS was pretty helpful. They sent me an RMA# and a shipping label and have placed an order for a replacement, also to be drop shipped from Dinan. I asked for expedited shipping for my inconvenience, at Dinan's cost. Doesn't look too promising. I was hoping to install them this weekend but I guess I'll have to wait and see when the replacement arrives.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      07-04-2018, 05:10 AM   #12
aturk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFulton View Post
PS - "Dinan Bumpstops" are a BMW part that can be purchased for MUCH less directly from a BMW parts supply.
That's how it used to be, but when I ordered my Dinan bumpstops, the cost between buying the OEM vs Dinan didn't make sense to save a few bucks.
      07-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #13
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturk View Post
That's how it used to be, but when I ordered my Dinan bumpstops, the cost between buying the OEM vs Dinan didn't make sense to save a few bucks.
Dinan's website lists the "supplemental ride quality kit" for $137.
The first BMW parts website I pulled up has the same exact same parts for $92.

Are other vendors selling the Dinan bumpstops at a discount?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #14
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I think you're overreacting a bit. It's pretty clear these were a return and got misplaced and put back into the system especially considering the company's recent relocation from CA to AL. I have a very hard time believing Dinan would think a customer couldn't tell these were used. LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 08:41 PM   #15
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Wow, not good QC there by Dinan. Parts should be inspected prior to shipping and have a quality seal attached.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 08:24 PM   #16
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

So what did Dinan have to say about the situation and how are they rectifying it?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 08:50 PM   #17
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Don't buy anything from ECS or Turner Motorsports.

Turner Motorsports sales company was sold off to ECS years ago, although the service and race team operate independent.

When sold, as told to me buy former emplyees, ECS fire sold and fired all original Turner staff. Not only this, downsizing happens, but ignored the better deals, and better than chinese knock off parts that were being produced. They than told everyone they were removing dental coverage from the insurance plan for all employees. Thats fine too, but employees showed up on Monday to see a brand new Lambo in the parking lot company paid for.

Bunch of shady, and you get used springs...

FCP Euro and a few others get my money now.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 08:51 PM   #18
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFulton View Post
Dinan's website lists the "supplemental ride quality kit" for $137.
The first BMW parts website I pulled up has the same exact same parts for $92.

Are other vendors selling the Dinan bumpstops at a discount?

They are OEM BMW parts from a 5 series 528, if i remember.

Dinan does nothing but pull these off the shelf and tax you.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #19
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
Don't buy anything from ECS or Turner Motorsports.

Turner Motorsports sales company was sold off to ECS years ago, although the service and race team operate independent.

When sold, as told to me buy former emplyees, ECS fire sold and fired all original Turner staff. Not only this, downsizing happens, but ignored the better deals, and better than chinese knock off parts that were being produced. They than told everyone they were removing dental coverage from the insurance plan for all employees. Thats fine too, but employees showed up on Monday to see a brand new Lambo in the parking lot company paid for.

Bunch of shady, and you get used springs...

FCP Euro and a few others get my money now.
ECS had nothing to do with this. The springs were drop shipped from Dinan. The issue is with Dinan. I've never had any issues with ECS.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 09:11 AM   #20
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
ECS had nothing to do with this. The springs were drop shipped from Dinan. The issue is with Dinan. I've never had any issues with ECS.
I actually just read a long write up about ecs and Turner regarding this. I'm glad that I did read it, I likely going to have Turner do a turbo install for me when I was ready for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #21
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CM E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I actually just read a long write up about ecs and Turner regarding this. I'm glad that I did read it, I likely going to have Turner do a turbo install for me when I was ready for it.
Turner racing team and shop will still be run by the same people who ran it prior to the sale, not by ecs or anyone else.

It would be a shame if that changed.
1998 S54 E36 M3 BMWCCA Club Racing #532 CM
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 02:53 PM   #22
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

IIRC, the Dinan people also make a good case that part of what they are charging for with those bumpstops is all the research to figure out which one would work best w/ their system (I don't think the fronts and rears are from the same model, and they tried a bunch of different sizes and durometers). It isn't just that they grabbed a 2-series part off the shelf and jacked the price. I'm not a huge Dinan fan (and I think they also just got sold or bought out), but it doesn't seem unfair for them to want to recoup devo costs.
Appreciate 0