THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning NEW RELEASE: DINANTRONICS Elite (M240i)

08-14-2018, 10:50 AM   #309
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Just curious, do all the guys w/ CEL's have a aftermarket downpipe?
only Dinan Parts added to my m240
      08-14-2018, 10:56 AM   #310
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteddy1 View Post
I wonder if these Dinan failures are the result of the cars computer being updated?

I had my Elite tune for over a year with no issues. Two weeks and 200 miles after my last service (oil change, Standard scope electronics inspection) the first Dinan unit went bad.

Just over a week later the second Dinan unit went bad.

Anyone else with a failed Dinan computer have a recent service/electronics update?

Pat
my first unit had issues after install, but before any type of service work done on the vehicle.
All that I have had done on the car in the 11 months 15 days that I have had it are 2 oil changes, 2 run-flat tire replacements, summer tire install, install of Dinan parts, and trouble shooting for Dinan tuner failures (on my 3rd tuner right now, scheduled to be removed tomorrow morning). amount of time my car has spent in the shop dealing with Tuner issues, 1 month, ... 1 month I did not have my car in my possession (so basically I was renting a car for a month without using it).
I love all the other dinan parts on my m240
      08-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #311
ctemkin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

To answer a couple of recent questions: my car did have the computer flash as part of the recall, but that was months before the first CEL; and I do not have an aftermarket downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #312
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Does the Mid pipe affect the amount of boost to the turbo? Less back pressure.......like a down pipe could throw a CEL.

I did a Google search and didn't find anything for BMW per se, but a number came up for other cars. Some of these issues occurred on stock cars w/a mid-pipe installed (not just on "tuned" cars).

I don't know. I'd assume Dinan tested their tunes w/ stock BMW's or w/ other Dinan add-ons so as to not throw codes. Perhaps adding extra's from other companies could cause the CEL's.

One would think if there were problems w/ the hardware or software from just the tune, issues would be springing up for the very beginning. If after a while, folks add more mods to get a few extra HP & TQ. The additional mods may be the issue when added to the tune, rather than a problem with the tune itself.

Prior to this influx of issues, I only read where one person had an issue with the Stage 1 and it was on a 330.

Not here to diminish the complaints or affix blame to the car owners and not Dinan. Only trying to find common denominators that may account for the CEL's. I have a Stage 1 on my M240i w/o no additional mods, and hope I'm not a ticking time bomb for CEL's. So far so good....but would like to get this issue resolved so everyone is happy w/ their cars.

Updating the computer by BMW may also be creating the issue. Again, with the Influx of problems and BMW dealers flashing the computers may be the issue too. If that's the case, I suspect Dinan may have to do a software update to compensate.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #313
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

All of my CELs are communication errors, so not sure if that is something to have been caused by the mid-pipe, but they ruled the hardware as defective on the first two units. There appear to be others in the 340 forums with problems, some similar, and some Drivetrain related.
Me, I am just erring in the side of caution, removing it, and living without a tune

Added in edit:

AND at the end of my lease just gonna buy an M3 or M4
      08-14-2018, 04:30 PM   #314
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

In response to queries about mods and service: all my mods are in my signature and I have not had a BMW ECU flash during service.

All the speculation is unnecessary. Dinan told my dealer that these issues are related to a Dinan hardware (connection) issue. And the error codes I have seen support this diagnosis.

I just wish Dinan would resolve it and give the dealers a fix.
I'm tired of driving rentals, instead of my tuned M240i...
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 09:19 AM   #315
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Dinan stands behind its products. We will always do whatever we can to rectify any issues that come up. Our utmost goal is the satisfaction of the end user and dealer alike.

As notated in the previous pages there have been cases of problematic vehicles. This can be said for every generation of BMW we have ever tuned whether it be flash or piggyback. There are always outlier cars that resist what works for the majority. We take each of those cases individually and attempt to do a personalized action plan to resolution since each of those vehicles / situations / circumstances may differ slightly from the next. Again, our end goal ultimately is the satisfaction of the customer and getting them back on the road enjoying their tuned vehicle. I would encourage anyone that may have an issue to reach out directly to the tech support/warranty team at techsupport@dinancars.com to get them involved. We are only as good as the information available to us and sometimes dealers do not bring things to our attention til way later down the road or do not share the entire detail history that only the user can really explain. Information is our friend.

In the case of DINANTRONICS in particular we are constantly improving backend processes, tracking, testing, and production with the goal of providing the most reliable / bulletproof product as possible. We are a business after all, and the better the product is, the less cost there is on the backend with warranty claims, replacements, shipping costs, etc which in turn means more profitability. Just in the last 4 months since we have moved to our new home in Alabama we have:
  1. Instituted time/date stamping to all production boards/harnesses so now with a few details from the hardware piece itself we can see when it was made, who made it, what batch it was in, etc. If there is a problematic component or variable on the assembly side we can pinpoint it immediately and take corrective action.
  2. Added an additional layer of comprehensive testing. While in the past the boards and harnesses were subjected to 3 different functional tests before leaving the plant there are now additional tests that delve even deeper. Going forward it will be next to impossible to receive a board that is DOA short of shipping damage or some other outside variable. We want to guarantee 100% functionality before any unit leaves the plant.
  3. Outsourced evaluation of the DINANTRONICS board itself to numerous outside entities. While the DINANTRONICS system was developed in house to excruciating detail we understand that an outside observer may be able to pinpoint improvements that could be made to the design.
  4. Compiled all sales & warranty/tech support data into a heat map that allows us to visually see trends in the dealer base. What we learned from this exercise is that existing problems are not consistent across dealers/country which you would expect with a hardware issue. There are pockets of problematic vehicles which leads us to believe installation, or possibly, some environmental variable is at play for those areas.
  5. Looking to fill a position that would be a traveling troubleshooter / trainer as a result of the above.
Rest assured we are not resting on our laurels and will continue to improve the product while always standing behind it as well. That is what makes Dinan unique.
Appreciate 6
WolfGTI716.00
nikman011174.50
Mehim76.50
PeterWT252.50
dradernh4337.00
RotorOver295.50
      08-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #316
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Spoke with Dinan on the phone an hour ago, and they said they are committed to working through my situation to resolve it.
A key thing with mine, is that I do not appear to be suffering ANY performance issues at all.
I am going to stick with it, as I feel confident they will solve the problem.
Really, there only seem to be a few of us with this problem on the B58.
      08-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #317
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Dinan stands behind its products. We will always do whatever we can to rectify any issues that come up. Our utmost goal is the satisfaction of the end user and dealer alike.

As notated in the previous pages there have been cases of problematic vehicles. This can be said for every generation of BMW we have ever tuned whether it be flash or piggyback. There are always outlier cars that resist what works for the majority. We take each of those cases individually and attempt to do a personalized action plan to resolution since each of those vehicles / situations / circumstances may differ slightly from the next. Again, our end goal ultimately is the satisfaction of the customer and getting them back on the road enjoying their tuned vehicle. I would encourage anyone that may have an issue to reach out directly to the tech support/warranty team at techsupport@dinancars.com to get them involved. We are only as good as the information available to us and sometimes dealers do not bring things to our attention til way later down the road or do not share the entire detail history that only the user can really explain. Information is our friend.

In the case of DINANTRONICS in particular we are constantly improving backend processes, tracking, testing, and production with the goal of providing the most reliable / bulletproof product as possible. We are a business after all, and the better the product is, the less cost there is on the backend with warranty claims, replacements, shipping costs, etc which in turn means more profitability. Just in the last 4 months since we have moved to our new home in Alabama we have:
  1. Instituted time/date stamping to all production boards/harnesses so now with a few details from the hardware piece itself we can see when it was made, who made it, what batch it was in, etc. If there is a problematic component or variable on the assembly side we can pinpoint it immediately and take corrective action.
  2. Added an additional layer of comprehensive testing. While in the past the boards and harnesses were subjected to 3 different functional tests before leaving the plant there are now additional tests that delve even deeper. Going forward it will be next to impossible to receive a board that is DOA short of shipping damage or some other outside variable. We want to guarantee 100% functionality before any unit leaves the plant.
  3. Outsourced evaluation of the DINANTRONICS board itself to numerous outside entities. While the DINANTRONICS system was developed in house to excruciating detail we understand that an outside observer may be able to pinpoint improvements that could be made to the design.
  4. Compiled all sales & warranty/tech support data into a heat map that allows us to visually see trends in the dealer base. What we learned from this exercise is that existing problems are not consistent across dealers/country which you would expect with a hardware issue. There are pockets of problematic vehicles which leads us to believe installation, or possibly, some environmental variable is at play for those areas.
  5. Looking to fill a position that would be a traveling troubleshooter / trainer as a result of the above.
Rest assured we are not resting on our laurels and will continue to improve the product while always standing behind it as well. That is what makes Dinan unique.
Thanks for providing the details on Dinan's response to the issues.
My 3rd ECU/Harness was installed last week. Hopefully the 3rd time's the charm!
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 04:17 PM   #318
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Dinan has shipped me a replacement harness today. Looking forward to it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 08:16 AM   #319
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i Xdrive

Bad new are reported more often than good news. I still believe Dinan product excellent product.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 09:44 AM   #320
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Dinan/BMW dealer working through my issue with the third tuner. I will post an update as I get info.

I love all of my Dinan mods, including the tune (when it isn't throwing CELs)
      08-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #321
Fasteddy1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

The dealer pulled out my harness and tuner. Dinan is sending out a new harness and tuner to be installed next week.

I think for me it likely is a harness issue. The first time they just replaced the tuner, not the harness. When I popped a code with the second tuner I put it in bypass. The light went off a couple days later. Then two days after that the check engine light came on again while it was in bypass.

Hoping this works this time. If I have any more issues it will come off for good and I hopefully will get a refund....

The dealer has been great to work with. I am very glad I had this installed by them.

Pat
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 06:25 PM   #322
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
New harness received on Friday - swapped it out today. The connector on the charge pipe clicked in like it should. Unfortunately I'll be out of town for afew days so the car won't get driven until Thursday. Will keep the thread updated.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 07:30 AM   #323
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Update: I am happy to report that 200 miles of driving and no CEL. As compared to before when the CEL would appear pretty much after the first start up / shut down. Car is strong and happy as it was before. Very pleased with Dinan and their assistance.

This is the original tuner - just replaced the harness - I believe based on physical observation and the error code that the issue was a connector.

Last edited by WolfGTI; 08-24-2018 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 07:55 AM   #324
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
Update: I am happy to report that 200 miles of driving and no CEL. As compared to before when the CEL would appear pretty much after the first start up / shut down. Car is strong and happy as it was before. Very pleased with Dinan and their assistance.
Sounds good, hope it holds, ...... my 3rd tuner threw the CEL at roughly 2000 miles after install.
      08-24-2018, 07:57 AM   #325
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I am about 3 weeks into my 3rd unit and no CEL yet. And, the car feels good.
But, I haven't scanned for error codes yet. And, with the other units, I had error codes (boost, fuel, etc.) w/o CELs, so...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #326
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

I like what I'm hearing so far. Hoping folks w/ problems, have those problems in the rear-view mirror and only smooth and powerful sailing going forward.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #327
ctemkin
Private
Rep

My car has been running fine since getting a new unit two weeks ago, and no CELs.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 08:39 AM   #328
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Update: Working perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #329
stratelec1
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Good to know everything worked!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 02:38 PM   #330
ctemkin
Private
Rep

Maybe I jinxed myself a week ago by saying that the car was fine. I have now gotten a number of CELs (same ones as before the Dinan unit was replaced). I have an appointment to bring the car in next week. These faults seem to occur when the car is at relatively low speed.
Appreciate 0