THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Deleted both resonators (video and pics)

04-20-2017, 06:46 AM   #67
Quantumn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M240i & 16' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCThree View Post
This mod sound pretty impressive. The sound is right up there with exhausts costing a TON! Since there is almost no gains from exhaust mods other than sound, I think I might have to pull the trigger on this one.

The money I save can go to a Dinan Elite!
Highly recommended
Appreciate 1
SCCThree813.00
      04-20-2017, 06:48 AM   #68
Quantumn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by havinfun View Post
Quantumn: Did you have any problems finding a shop to make you custom pipes to replace the resonators? Roughly, what did it cost?
I only visited one shop and they didn't question or give me any problems.

Making the front "egg" shaped piping took a bit more time than the rear one as that one is round.
In total, they took about 1.5 hours and cost me $220.
Appreciate 1
SCCThree813.00
      04-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #69
SCCThree
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantumn View Post
I only visited one shop and they didn't question or give me any problems.

Making the front "egg" shaped piping took a bit more time than the rear one as that one is round.
In total, they took about 1.5 hours and cost me $220.
Thanks for that info. I am probably going to hit up an exhaust shop today or tomorrow to get this done. I will report back.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #70
Quantumn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCThree View Post
Thanks for that info. I am probably going to hit up an exhaust shop today or tomorrow to get this done. I will report back.
Awesome, can't wait to hear your feedback!

Thanks to the OP Schnell B58 for this awesome idea!
Appreciate 1
AlexM240i101.50
      04-20-2017, 12:27 PM   #71
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:

Schnell B58 Yes. The one who started everything. I'm waiting for my Dinan midpipe to arrive to install it with the stock muffler to hopefully obtain the same results of the dual resonator delete.

I never liked the MPE so it will go down....
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #72
SCCThree
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Work screwed me on this deal so it's going to have to wait until sometime next week... hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 11:28 PM   #73
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYTran View Post
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the aftermarket scene but deleting a resonator requires cutting the resonators out and welding in a new resonator correct? So is this destructive and non-reversible? I'm on a lease but man I wish the B58 was louder.
I'm on a lease as well. Do it. You will not regret it man, I'm telling you. The sound is 100% better, hands down. I kept the resonators just in case I don't buy the car at lease end.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYTran View Post
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the aftermarket scene but deleting a resonator requires cutting the resonators out and welding in a new resonator correct? So is this destructive and non-reversible? I'm on a lease but man I wish the B58 was louder.
I'm on a lease as well. Do it. You will not regret it man, I'm telling you. The sound is 100% better, hands down. I kept the resonators just in case I don't buy the car at lease end.
We should be able to put the resonators back without much of an issue correct?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #74
Cars
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlzor View Post
We should be able to put the resonators back without much of an issue correct?
Not an expert in that department but I can only hope they're able to do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 09:36 PM   #75
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM240i View Post
Schnell B58 Yes. The one who started everything. I'm waiting for my Dinan midpipe to arrive to install it with the stock muffler to hopefully obtain the same results of the dual resonator delete.

I never liked the MPE so it will go down....
Glad everyone is enjoying it!

It's been a little over two months now and I still love the sound just as much as I originally did.

For those who have asked: You can easily keep the resonators and have them welded back in if you need to revert to stock. It wouldn't be difficult at all.
Appreciate 2
SCCThree813.00
AlexM240i101.50
      04-27-2017, 11:29 AM   #76
qballis
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by evancross View Post
I'm getting mine done today. I have an ER Catless Downpipe installed too so it will be interesting to see/hear the difference.
Do you have any videos of your car with catless downpipe and resonator delete?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 11:43 AM   #77
Cars
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi MGM

Took a short video of my exhaust with the GoPro recently. It's from outside the car to give you guys a look at how it sounds. This is just both resonators deleted. Enjoy!

Appreciate 5
      06-07-2017, 05:08 AM   #78
DJEwen
Oil Prostitute
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M240i AW 6MT Coral 405Ms

Quote:
Took a short video of my exhaust with the GoPro recently. It's from outside the car to give you guys a look at how it sounds. This is just both resonators deleted. Enjoy!

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 02:13 AM   #79
Skycaptain
Private
Rep

Could BMW discard your warranty, let's say if an engine issue occurred whilst having the resonator deletes? Can they use it as an excuse to easily get out of repairing any issue that could occur, not related to the modification? Example, they might say you have altered the parameters of the stock car.

And love the sound by the way. Would like to do this but loosing a new warranty concerns me.
Appreciate 1
NISFAN3487.00
      07-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #80
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycaptain View Post
Could BMW discard your warranty, let's say if an engine issue occurred whilst having the resonator deletes? Can they use it as an excuse to easily get out of repairing any issue that could occur, not related to the modification? Example, they might say you have altered the parameters of the stock car.

And love the sound by the way. Would like to do this but loosing a new warranty concerns me.
Doubt it. It's not a performance mod and doesn't change emissions. Only changes the sound of the exhaust. My BMW dealership installed my Dinan Midpipe and I retain the factory warranty and the Midpipe comes with the Dinan 4 year warranty. I went this route for that reason instead of having a muffler shop delete the resonators by welding pipes in place.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #81
Skycaptain
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHeinz View Post
Doubt it. It's not a performance mod and doesn't change emissions. Only changes the sound of the exhaust. My BMW dealership installed my Dinan Midpipe and I retain the factory warranty and the Midpipe comes with the Dinan 4 year warranty. I went this route for that reason instead of having a muffler shop delete the resonators by welding pipes in place.
You guys are lucky. In Australia, if we even fart in a car BMW can say we altered the smell and our warranty can be void. Tuff love here.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 04:38 AM   #82
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M8

Had both resonators deleted and holy sh*t!
The sound is amazing. There was a little of drone in 80-90 km/h when slowly accelerating in comfort. Will try to find ojt when exactly it does.

But the sound guys! It pops&bangs like crazy and it's a deep tone.
I firstly wanted to get also muffler delete in combination with resonator delete, but I don't want anything lounder, this is crazy enought when using stock muffler. Switch it to comfort and it's like stock with resonators on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AlexM240i101.50
      07-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #83
chois2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i Convertible

Does anyone know of a shop in Northern NJ that will do this at a fair price? I've been driving around and calling and the best quote I got so far was $150 PER resonator. ($250-300) for both!! Am I just being cheap or are the prices really that high?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #84
chois2
Private
United_States
Rep

Just had both resonators removed yesterday. Amazing sound. I had the exhaust valve actuator unplugged and it actually is too loud in my garage during a cold start so i've plugged the actuator back in.

I think i'm done with mods for the time being. Time to enjoy the ride!
Appreciate 1
AlexM240i101.50
      08-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #85
Arman_F22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F22 M240i

guys quick question. I want to get this done, and at the same time do the golf tee mod so that the muffler valve opens, is the golf tee mod same procedure with the 2017 m240 as it is with the m235's? My old M235 had a wire connecting to the left side of the muffler/tip area, Same procedure? Anyone tried these two methods together? thanks!
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2017, 02:58 PM   #86
Quantumn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arman1993 View Post
guys quick question. I want to get this done, and at the same time do the golf tee mod so that the muffler valve opens, is the golf tee mod same procedure with the 2017 m240 as it is with the m235's? My old M235 had a wire connecting to the left side of the muffler/tip area, Same procedure? Anyone tried these two methods together? thanks!

Same procedure as the M235i, drive in Sport/Sport+ to open the valve.
Turn the car off and unplug then protect the plugs with something. I used a nitrile glove, cut the finger off and zip tied it to both ends.

PERSONALLY SPEAKING, I like the valve to be modulated by the car and not manually forced open.

I tried with a week and you get a subtle amount of drone on the freeway and no significant increase in sound.

I would try it out, literally takes 5 minutes of your time!

If you want a bit more sound, consider doing the muffler mod!

Best of luck in finding that perfect sound.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 04:54 PM   #87
havinfun
Private
Rep
Drives: m240i

I just checked with a local muffler shop. The owner claimed that forming a metal tube to replace each resonator would be a simple job ($60 each) but he only used aluminized steel for the custom pipe work (not stainless steel). His claim is that aluminized steel will last 10 - 12 years, and that stainless is almost never used because it can't be made to seal tightly on the OEM stubs. For those of you who have already had resonators deleted, what was used on your cars?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 07:42 PM   #88
chois2
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by havinfun View Post
I just checked with a local muffler shop. The owner claimed that forming a metal tube to replace each resonator would be a simple job ($60 each) but he only used aluminized steel for the custom pipe work (not stainless steel). His claim is that aluminized steel will last 10 - 12 years, and that stainless is almost never used because it can't be made to seal tightly on the OEM stubs. For those of you who have already had resonators deleted, what was used on your cars?
I specifically requested stainless steel and thus was charged more $90 each. Did not have any issues with the weld.
Appreciate 0