THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes KW EDC Cancellation Kit Install Question

01-24-2016, 08:33 AM   #1
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

KW EDC Cancellation Kit Install Question

M235i xDrive with Adaptive M-Suspension

Installing Bilstein B8 shocks and Eibach Pro-Kit springs. Right in the middle of the process. For this to work a EDC cancellation kit is required (or coding).

KW EDC Cancellation Kit is being used. Part Number 68510301.

Ran into a question (problem maybe) while installing the cancellation kit.

While connecting the kit itself and the wires seemed pretty clear, there is one OEM part that is not mentioned in the cancellation kit instructions, something called "accelerating sensor" (appears to be part number 37 15 6 871 465, position #5 in the picture below).

This is how it looks and how it's positioned on the OEM shock:

This is the face of the sensor in question:

Exactly what is this thing doing?
What am I supposed to do with it?

Keep it and attach it? Attach where? On the shock or does it even matter? If kept does its exact position matter? (Bilstein shocks don't have a similar perch to put it on).

Disconnect it completely and forget it?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Especially if someone has already done this.

Last edited by x233; 01-24-2016 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

OK. Update:
Whatever that sensor does it no longer seems needed once the KW EDC Delete unit is in place, or I haven't figured out yet if anything isn't working properly because of it.

Spent more time doing the wiring of the KW thing and redundant OEM wires/sensors than replacing the shocks and springs. This... just tucked in wherever we found enough space for it, which isn't plenty, and this, too, took a while. (started at noon and had to somehow put it all back together as it was already 9 pm). Sorry KW didn't mention it in their instructions.

Anyway, everything seem to work. No fault codes. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough time to test if everything still works if that sensor and its wiring are removed completely. But with the quality of wiring we did in a hurry I'm afraid we'll have to come at it again and do a nicer job, and then maybe try what happens if it's removed.

PS: Still not sure exactly what that sensor does. Just curious.

PPS: Something else. After trying it myself, if I had to do it again, I'd definitely opt for just coding it off than messing with the wires. Seems like an easier and neater option.

Last edited by x233; 01-24-2016 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 07:52 AM   #3
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Still would like some input as to whatever that sensor normally does.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 08:15 AM   #4
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
Still would like some input as to whatever that sensor normally does.
Update:

EDC delete unit doesn't solve the problem because the shocks don't have perches for acceleration sensors, and I'm not sure whether that function stops working because the delete unit shuts it off or because switching EDC kills it. Anyway, the result is steering and handling are messed up big time.

Stupid of me to try it without throughly examining the suspension and all the sensors, and doing proper research first.

Glad I tried it in winter. The day of install we had dry pavement and the car seemed to handle fine, albeit without variable sport steering. Lots of snow the next day and all the faults became clear, handling like a barge, hard to control, first lots of understeer on slippery surfaces, then snap oversteer, etc.

Had to get rid of the B8 shocks the next day. Kept the Eibach Pro-Kit springs on the stock adaptive suspension shocks with trimmed bump stops. Still, the combo is a lot better than stock.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 09:51 AM   #5
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Why don't you just code out the adaptive suspension and you don't have to add any kit ?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 08:24 PM   #6
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Why don't you just code out the adaptive suspension and you don't have to add any kit ?
Coding wouldn’t have solved my problem. If I had coded the EDC off I still wouldn’t have been able to connect those accelarating sensors to the Bilstein B8 shocks. I do not know if coding switches them off.

I am new to the BMW and still do not know exactly what that sensor does and what happens to it when you either code the EDC off or use KW EDC delete unit. Internet search produces lots of diagrams, parts numbers, purchase rerferences, etc but zero information on its function.

I know it’s only present on adaptive suspension front shocks but not on basic suspension.
I do not know if its function is only related to variable sport steering (VSS) or the EDC in general.
I’m not 100% positive but I think VSS only comes with adaptive suspension.
I do not know if VSS remains intact if the EDC is coded off.

Those sensors probably remain functional if KW EDC delete unit is used but because you can't place them on the new shocks it messes up the car's handling. I know that when a EDC delete unit is used and that sensor remains connected but is not fixed to the shock the variable sport steering is gone and the car’s handling is badly compromised.

I didn’t have the patience to try and disconnect it while the KW unit was still in place to see if the car would show any fault codes or how it would handle. It was clear I would’t be able to use Bilstein B8 so I didn’t follow through. Shame I didn’t. Now I don’t want to go through the hassle of swaping suspension and re-wiring it again to find out.

Last edited by x233; 02-20-2016 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 08:46 PM   #7
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Coding wouldn’t have solved my problem. If I had coded the EDC off I still wouldn’t have been able to connect those accelarating sensors to the Bilstein B8 shocks. I do not know if coding switches them off.

I am new to the BMW and still do not know exactly what that sensor does and what happens to it when you either code the EDC off or use KW EDC delete unit. Internet search produces lots of diagrams, parts numbers, purchase rerferences, etc but zero information on its function.

I know it’s only present on adaptive suspension front shocks but not on basic suspension.
I do not know if its function is only related to variable sport steering (VSS) or the EDC in general.
I’m not 100% positive but I think VSS only comes with adaptive suspension.
I do not know if VSS remains intact if the EDC is coded off.

Those sensors probably remain functional if KW EDC delete unit is used but because you can't place them on the new shocks it messes up the car's handling. I know that when a EDC delete unit is used and that sensor remains connected but is not fixed to the shock the variable sport steering is gone and the car’s handling is badly compromised.

I didn’t have the patience to try and disconnect it while the KW unit was still in place to see if the car would show any fault codes or how it would handle. It was clear I would’t be able to use Bilstein B8 so I didn’t follow through. Shame I didn’t. Now I don’t want to go through the hassle of swaping suspension and re-wiring it again to find out.
It's probably an accelerometer like the ones that come on the phone to measure g forces probably to see if the shock is compressing up/down to make the shock harder or softer

maybe try zip-tie it to the shock or something temporary and see what happens... seems to me like it's part of the EDC system.... wonder why the kit doesn't address it, unless it doesn't really matter as the kit would cancel any signal from it and the problem is that the kit is not installed correctly or it's defective
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 06:39 AM   #8
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
maybe try zip-tie it to the shock or something temporary and see what happens... seems to me like it's part of the EDC system.... wonder why the kit doesn't address it, unless it doesn't really matter as the kit would cancel any signal from it and the problem is that the kit is not installed correctly or it's defective
we tried it but you can't fix it similarly positioned relative to the shock as on stock and it might slip on the first serious impact to suspension and could break. a reliable solution would be to model a similar perch (or cut it off the stock shock) and weld it to either the shock body or the steering knuckle but that's a bit too much. I wasn't ready to mangle my car parts like that.

the kw kit is the right one, f22 in the compatibility list. kw sort of addressed the issue, albeit not in writing. we once again reviewed the pictures provided in the manual and one showed kw were using some of their shocks, can't tell the model, that did have the perches like the stock adaptive suspension.

that's why i think it's more likely than not to remain functional with kw unit installed. kw unit basically makes the car think the adaptive suspension is still there without actually switching it off.

this kind of defeats the purpose since, if true, it means you can only use that delete unit with certain kw coilovers that have that perch like the stock adaptive suspension but none of the top line coiovers like bilstein, ohlins, ast, etc.

something else. it's possible, although i don't know for sure, that variable sport steering is not just about mechanical parts such as a progressive steering rack. possibly a different algorithm is programmed in as well to make it work. once it's gone in a car that came with VSS from factory it's handling becomes a disaster on slippery surfaces. while it feels much more planted on straights and in mild turns it becomes hardly manageable in tight or sharp turns, ploughs like crazy, then when you finally catch it with steering and throttle it snaps into oversteer and you end up chasing it like that all over the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 08:09 PM   #9
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

my coilover kit had a mount for all of the parts.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pparana; 03-08-2016 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 06:32 PM   #10
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
my coilover kit had a mount for all of the parts.
which coilover kit do you use?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 07:12 PM   #11
Pparana
Captain
Rep

Megan coilovers 6k front 12k rear spring rates. They work great. Full adjustability
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 05:34 PM   #12
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Megan coilovers 6k front 12k rear spring rates. They work great. Full adjustability
That's interesting. The price is sweet, too. I was beginning to think KW were about the only coilovers to consider in my case. None of the things I would typically consider first (such Bilstein, AST, Ohlins) seem to have the mounts to accommodate the sensors of the adaptive suspension.

Last edited by x233; 03-07-2016 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 10:37 AM   #13
Pparana
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That's interesting. The price is sweat, too. I was beginning to think KW were about the only coilovers to consider in my case. None of the things I would typically consider first (such Bilstein, AST, Ohlins) seem to have the mounts to accommodate the sensors of the adaptive suspension.
to be honest, I am more than shocked how good these coilovers are for there price. I think most of it comes down to the adjustibility of the ride height separate from the spring preload. This allows you to dial in what you need for proper corner balancing, shock travel. Welds are clean, build quality was as good as many others. Damping is good. Very Very pleased

Maybe the shocks wont last as long, but the kit and parts are so cheap I can replace the whole show 5 times before getting close to expensive hardware.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 11:49 AM   #14
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Quote:
What was your solution to the EDC? Did you buy the module or have it coded?
      03-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #15
Pparana
Captain
Rep

I VO coded it out, took about 10 minutes. No errors, no problems.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #16
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Quote:
Can this be reversed when you go back to stock? Someone once told me that coding EDC out would be permanent.
      03-08-2016, 02:04 PM   #17
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Looking back, if I'd known how much time and effort it would've taken to rewire it, and if I'd had a suspension I was sure I wouldn't be throwing out the next day, I'd probably coded it out, too . Don't know how it works with coding if you have to use adaptive suspension again.

It took just as long to attach the KW delete unit and do the wiring as it took to swap the suspension, then the whole thing in reverse when I had to put the adaptive shocks back in.

Last edited by x233; 03-09-2016 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #18
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocN55 View Post
Can this be reversed when you go back to stock? Someone once told me that coding EDC out would be permanent.
Good question.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #19
Pparana
Captain
Rep

yeah, you just vo code the option back in.

to remove:

remove 2VF from FA, and VO Code but you have to hit a few more modules:

DSC, KOMBI (to update the instrument panel), ICM, and HU_NBT.

To replace:

add 2VF from FA, and VO Code and code modules below:

DSC, KOMBI, ICM, and HU_NBT.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 05:30 PM   #20
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
yeah, you just vo code the option back in.

to remove:

remove 2VF from FA, and VO Code but you have to hit a few more modules:

DSC, KOMBI (to update the instrument panel), ICM, and HU_NBT.

To replace:

add 2VF from FA, and VO Code and code modules below:

DSC, KOMBI, ICM, and HU_NBT.
Do you really need KOMBI, ICM and NBT?
I always thought only DSC was required
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #21
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Good question.
100% reversible
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #22
Pparana
Captain
Rep

got errors until I hit them (chassis stabilization). Maybe not all, but solved issues. Thats what the m3/4 guys hit. figured it was worth a click and the reload of my fdl settings.
Appreciate 0