THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes H&R Springs M235i

03-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #23
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Yes

http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default...D107004&12=130

25mm/1" drop suitable for passive and adaptive - H&R part #28896-3

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 08:19 PM   #24
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
I have H&R sport springs on my F30 328i. Overall they are a good product but I wont be putting them on my M235i.

The ride with the H&R's is almost exactly the same as stock. The look is MUCH better than stock. I can't say that my car handles better with them but it doesn't handle worse.... more or less the same.

My issue with the springs is probably not the fault of H&R, it the fact that the dampers on the car and the springs have to be compatible. They have to work together. The H&R springs and the stock BMW shocks don't like each other. Specifically when going over bumps or dips, the car "crashes" through them in a way that upsets the car. That is my only issue. That didn't happen with the OE springs. Many people (including me) use aftermarket springs to lower their cars because it's very inexpensive compared to coilovers. Now I know the reason why.
I noticed the Dinan spring kit comes with bump stops but I didn't see that the H&R did? Would bump stops have made any difference?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 09:27 PM   #25
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Got my springs installed today along with an alignment (2.25 F&R camber, 3/32 toe rear, 0 front).

Overall, I like the springs. Looks great, and the ride is noticeably more stiff. Less secondary motions. I like them.

One weird thing is my suspension people said that the springs are a great fit, but are a little short for the front struts, so you need to be careful that they don't pop out if you use a floor jack to get the car up to change a tire. Other than that, went smoothly.

I'll post a more thorough review after doing some track time this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 12:19 AM   #26
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
I noticed the Dinan spring kit comes with bump stops but I didn't see that the H&R did? Would bump stops have made any difference?
I don't have personal experience but probably! I wish someone that has tried both H&R without the bump stops and Dinan with them would give a review.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #27
Josh/AWE
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

Bilstein B8 shocks are great when paired with the H&R Sport Springs. The shortened shock body ensures the spring is correctly located and lends to a more predictable ride and sharper responses. If you have any questions about either just let me know!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #28
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike/AWE View Post
Bilstein B8 shocks are great when paired with the H&R Sport Springs. The shortened shock body ensures the spring is correctly located and lends to a more predictable ride and sharper responses. If you have any questions about either just let me know!
Probably, but the adaptive suspension is actually really good on the track and very expensive. Really gives the car a Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde personality (street/track). Not quite willing to do away with such an expensive component of the car...
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #29
Josh/AWE
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

Liquidpaper Looking forward to your post track review!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #30
Blackcross
Canada
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue 2014 335i xdrive

Garage List
Smile

Shocks (dampers in the UK) are what control the 'bounciness'. BMW traditionaly has a very stiff bump setting and a softer rebound setting. I prefer a softer initial "hit" and then the suspension controlled with a stiffer rebound.

If you change the sway bars, you can keep the same springs and get less roll (sway bars increase the effective spring rate while cornering or working the suspension ie railway tracks).

H&R springs get crashy with stock shocks because the shocks are designed to work over a specific range of motion. The shorter springs means the shocks will reach their minimum length early. Cutting down the bump stops gives the springs more room to compress. I suspect that the Dinan bump stops are just shorter. On an aside, I used to have the problem of shorter springs "falling out" when the car was jacked up on an E36 race car. I used tie-wraps to hold them up and "in". The tie-wrap is just a loose loop to stop them from falling out as opposed to anchoring them tightly in place.

Having just gotten my M235 last week, and with snow today, I am yet to take it on the track and thrash it. So I've only mapped out a mod path as part of future plans.

I'll be keeping an eye on the forums for everyone's reviews.

Last edited by Blackcross; 04-09-2015 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: added bit about tie-wraps.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2015, 09:40 PM   #31
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
I don't have personal experience but probably! I wish someone that has tried both H&R without the bump stops and Dinan with them would give a review.
Reason I mentioned it was because of what their website said.....

"This additional kit includes tuned, progressive rate bump stops that maximize suspension travel on the lowered car for improved handling capabilities and ride quality when compared to just a spring set."

The Dinan springs are $409 with the bump stops vs. $250 for the H&R's w/o bump stops.

After hearing of the crashing I'm actually debating on getting the Dinans instead....even though it only lowers the car 0.5" in front (but 1.0" in the back).
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2015, 10:54 PM   #32
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:

"This additional kit includes tuned, progressive rate bump stops that maximize suspension travel on the lowered car for improved handling capabilities and ride quality when compared to just a spring set."

The Dinan springs are $409 with the bump stops vs. $250 for the H&R's w/o bump stops.

After hearing of the crashing I'm actually debating on getting the Dinans instead....even though it only lowers the car 0.5" in front (but 1.0" in the back).
I have a set of Dinans for sale if you want to save some $$. Installed them w/o the bump stops and did not have an issue where the bumps stops would come into play (extreme articulation or heavy load with passengers). As you noted, the drop between them is very close. However, H&R is not known for shoddy craftsmanship or creating incomplete products (springs, w/o needed bump stops).

In my assessment, the OEM bumps stops are already fairly small, H&R probably assessed the likelihood of becoming an issue as very remote. But you could always buy the H&R springs and Dinan bump stop kit. Or just shave the OEM bumps stops. They are only pieces of foam to prevent metal on metal contact if the shocks ever fully compress.

And with Dinan, do not forget that they will not warrantee the springs unless installed by an authorized dealer. My local dealership quoted about $1800 for the springs, stops, and install. I assume this would have included any necessary alignment. That comes out to about $1000 more than the installation and alignment of the H&R springs by a local reputable shop.

Quote:
I have H&R sport springs on my F30 328i. Overall they are a good product but I wont be putting them on my M235i.

The ride with the H&R's is almost exactly the same as stock. The look is MUCH better than stock. I can't say that my car handles better with them but it doesn't handle worse.... more or less the same.

My issue with the springs is probably not the fault of H&R, it the fact that the dampers on the car and the springs have to be compatible. They have to work together. The H&R springs and the stock BMW shocks don't like each other. Specifically when going over bumps or dips, the car "crashes" through them in a way that upsets the car. That is my only issue. That didn't happen with the OE springs. Many people (including me) use aftermarket springs to lower their cars because it's very inexpensive compared to coilovers. Now I know the reason why.
This is the first and only time I have ever heard of someone mentioning that H&R springs allow the suspension to 'crash'. I would ask for more specificity here. I have had H&R springs on a newer Audi A4 (with a more aggressive drop of 1.75", and they never allowed the OEM struts to "crash" - they were aggressive, but even tracking I never bottomed out).

That said, the Dinan set drop is nearly the same as the H&R set. Having driven about 300 miles on those, w/o the bump stops from Dinan, I never 'crashed' and the ride was very controlled - much better than stock. I doubt that two major manufacturers would have created aftermarket setups that would essentially destroy the OEM struts over time.

Last edited by hoppy6698; 04-25-2015 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 3
      04-29-2015, 04:19 PM   #33
boost82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

I have had horrible experiences with springs and oem dampers. Never on a BMW since this is my first but my main complaint and something I am not willing to live with is bounciness even though I would love the 1" drop. I am always so hesitant messing with suspension.

Any feedback on the ride quality? Some mixed feelings in the thread

Last edited by boost82; 04-29-2015 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #34
boost82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I guarantee you the dinan spring is a re-branded eibach or H&R spring. They don't manufacture it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 04:42 PM   #35
Iceman51sn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost82 View Post
I have had horrible experiences with springs and oem dampers. Never on a BMW since this is my first but my main complaint and something I am not willing to live with is bounciness even though I would love the 1" drop. I am always so hesitant messing with suspension.

Any feedback on the ride quality? Some mixed feelings in the thread
I've had mine on for a couple weeks now and no complaints. Ride quality is close to stock but have noticed slightly less body roll and zero "bounciness". I'll be hitting the track this weekend so that will be the true test.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 05:11 PM   #36
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman51sn View Post
I've had mine on for a couple weeks now and no complaints. Ride quality is close to stock but have noticed slightly less body roll and zero "bounciness". I'll be hitting the track this weekend so that will be the true test.
I'm at Chuckwalla this weekend. Where are you at?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 08:58 PM   #37
Iceman51sn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
I'm at Chuckwalla this weekend. Where are you at?
I'll be at Auto Club Speedway but I regret not signing up for Chuckwalla. I don't see it on the schedule anytime soon. I'll be back at Willow in June.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 09:19 PM   #38
boost82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Awesome. I have been going back and forth about a coilover kit as well. Just can't keep my money in my wallet it's terrible haha
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2015, 10:57 PM   #39
Iceman51sn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome. I have been going back and forth about a coilover kit as well. Just can't keep my money in my wallet it's terrible haha
Haha Yea I feel ya there! Coilovers are great if you are willing to spend the money. Just my opinion but H&R springs, some sway bars, and camber plates and you are good to go and tear up the track.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2015, 12:23 AM   #40
dt20011
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Not trying to thread jack but has anyone considered the Bilstein B14 setup as an alternative to just springs alone? Is it a viable alternative before creeping into the upper level price ranges of the KW/JRZ setups?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 12:00 PM   #41
Iceman51sn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt20011 View Post
Not trying to thread jack but has anyone considered the Bilstein B14 setup as an alternative to just springs alone? Is it a viable alternative before creeping into the upper level price ranges of the KW/JRZ setups?
I've heard a few people asking about those as well but have yet to see anyone on here review them. Those don't plug into the adaptive suspension right?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 08:30 PM   #42
Blackcross
Canada
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue 2014 335i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
I guarantee you the dinan spring is a re-branded eibach or H&R spring. They don't manufacture it.
True they do not manufacture them. However they are made to their specs: springs rates, progressive rate, spring length etc.

So they are effectively "theirs" and are not just rebranded. H&R, Eibach etc will all have designed their own for their specific goals and 'tastes' for want of a better word.

If you want maximum awareness of your suspension mods, I would suggest asking each of these companies what their spring rates are: e.g. 450 lbs front and 600 lbs rear? Or 500 lbs front and 500 lbs rear? That sort of thing.
      05-02-2015, 09:43 PM   #43
Iceman51sn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quick update: Had my autocross session today and the springs did well! I wasn't expecting a huge difference of course and the improvements were subtle. A bit more composure and less body roll but I can't wait to get some new sways installed!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 10:10 PM   #44
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Quote:
Quick update: Had my autocross session today and the springs did well! I wasn't expecting a huge difference of course and the improvements were subtle. A bit more composure and less body roll but I can't wait to get some new sways installed!
Hey you must be the guy that my friends texted me about! They were mad at me saying I went to Autoclub without telling them haha
Appreciate 1