THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning So who has fabspeed parts installed?

08-17-2018, 07:56 AM   #1
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

So who has fabspeed parts installed?

Looking into a fabspeed muffler delete/exhaust/down-pipe

Any owners with insight on reliability/performance/sound?

Last edited by GrimJaw; 08-17-2018 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Fabspeed is a quality brand. Highly recommend.
Appreciate 1
GrimJaw105.50
      10-01-2018, 01:16 PM   #3
saadams95
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 M2C

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Muffler Bypss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJaw View Post

I have it on my M235i. Installed about a month ago and I absolutely love it. What questions do you have about it?
Appreciate 1
GrimJaw105.50
      10-01-2018, 03:06 PM   #4
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadams95 View Post
Quote:

I have it on my M235i. Installed about a month ago and I absolutely love it. What questions do you have about it?
Quote:
Quote:

Hey man, was wondering about sound? Reliability? Performance ? Will it also pass nj emissions tests? No check engine lights? How long have you had it. It seems awesome
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
Guitarman15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 Xdrive

Quote:

I have the down pipe it's fantastic. Love the sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
abdiel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

I've got the original version of the Fabspeed sport cat downpipe. No complaints about it, it's as advertised.
I've had it about 6 months and no CEL so far.

The only thing to be aware of is there was a bracket issue in the new version that some here ran into though those should have been fixed.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 07:44 PM   #7
saadams95
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Hey man, was wondering about sound? Reliability? Performance ? Will it also pass nj emissions tests? No check engine lights? How long have you had it. It seems awesome
Muffler bypass was cake to install. Cut out the factory (they give you points of reference on Fabspeed website where to cut.) and then undid 1 bolt on each side of the under carriage to drop the rubber boots. Took them off and put them on the new Fabspeed exhaust. Used the clamp they give and bolted it on and bolts it back up to the undercarriage and installed my matte black tips.

Sounds amazing. Has lots of burpels if you like that. Especially driving in sport mode with manual downs shifting. It does have some drone but it doesn't bother me cause I love the sound. If you drive in sport mode and then switch to comfort it will sound quieter because it is. But it's still loud. My wife likes when I drive in comfort but I never do. Lol.

No CEL with it. You will get a code if you have a tune or ODBII reader and can run codes. The code is 138104 (exhaust flapper disabled.) this is because the stock exhaust has a flapper on the driver side and it has a plug and connector and you have to unplug it on the stock one and Fabspeed doesn't have a flapper so you just tuck it away. Don't recommend letting it hang. I've had it on about 2-3k miles. I love it. Easy install and all. Matte black tips are nice as well.
Appreciate 1
GrimJaw105.50
      10-01-2018, 08:46 PM   #8
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Muffler bypass was cake to install. Cut out the factory (they give you points of reference on Fabspeed website where to cut.) and then undid 1 bolt on each side of the under carriage to drop the rubber boots. Took them off and put them on the new Fabspeed exhaust. Used the clamp they give and bolted it on and bolts it back up to the undercarriage and installed my matte black tips.

Sounds amazing. Has lots of burpels if you like that. Especially driving in sport mode with manual downs shifting. It does have some drone but it doesn't bother me cause I love the sound. If you drive in sport mode and then switch to comfort it will sound quieter because it is. But it's still loud. My wife likes when I drive in comfort but I never do. Lol.

No CEL with it. You will get a code if you have a tune or ODBII reader and can run codes. The code is 138104 (exhaust flapper disabled.) this is because the stock exhaust has a flapper on the driver side and it has a plug and connector and you have to unplug it on the stock one and Fabspeed doesn't have a flapper so you just tuck it away. Don't recommend letting it hang. I've had it on about 2-3k miles. I love it. Easy install and all. Matte black tips are nice as well.
Lol sounds awesome man thank you so much for the hands on info. I really appreciate it. Def sounds like an easy install and I don't mind a little drone
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #9
saadams95
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Lol sounds awesome man thank you so much for the hands on info. I really appreciate it. Def sounds like an easy install and I don't mind a little drone
I can send you a video if you PM me.
Appreciate 1
GrimJaw105.50
      10-03-2018, 08:25 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quality parts, strongly recommend

We got the downpipe in stock

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #11
Gilda G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

I have their muffler delete. Quality craftsmanship. I had it on for about a year. Just took it off. I was tired of hearing my neighbors complain that I wake them up in the morning, lol.. Its up for sale if interested.
      10-25-2018, 07:36 PM   #12
Dambro61
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '15 M235xi (Sold); '07 s2k

Ex-Fabspeed employee here. Every M235 offering except for the valvetronic system is made in-house. The valvetronic system is purchased overseas. None the less, it's still solid quality.

The cats used in the down pipe are top-notch, HJS.

One thing to note about Fabspeed: between 2016 to present, about 90% of the workforce including engineering, r&d, fabrication, tuning, sales, marketing, etc. Has turned over primarily due to issues with the owner (see Glassdoor). While I vouch for the M235 systems, I cannot speak for the quality of their new and future products because, after only 2 years, I don't think I know a single person who works there currently.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #13
M235beast
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Fabspeed exhaust has very high build quality and welds.

I'm actually trying to sell mine if you're interested. It's the muffler bypass system with carbon fiber tips. PM me if you'd like it.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #14
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dambro61 View Post
Ex-Fabspeed employee here. Every M235 offering except for the valvetronic system is made in-house. The valvetronic system is purchased overseas. None the less, it's still solid quality.

The cats used in the down pipe are top-notch, HJS.

One thing to note about Fabspeed: between 2016 to present, about 90% of the workforce including engineering, r&d, fabrication, tuning, sales, marketing, etc. Has turned over primarily due to issues with the owner (see Glassdoor). While I vouch for the M235 systems, I cannot speak for the quality of their new and future products because, after only 2 years, I don't think I know a single person who works there currently.
Wow seriously ? Makes me kind of suspicious. Can you elaborate more on what happened exactly ?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 05:30 PM   #15
Dambro61
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '15 M235xi (Sold); '07 s2k

Quote:
Wow seriously ? Makes me kind of suspicious. Can you elaborate more on what happened exactly ?
Honestly, it was a simple case of putting profit before everything else. The owner started fabspeed ~20 years ago as a Porsche enthusiast who wanted to provide other Porsche enthusiasts with quality products to satisfy their go-fast, track oriented needs. Over the years, cashflow slowly started to become more and more important, until it ultimately became the #1 priority. Customers who used to be viewed as fellow enthusiasts were now viewed as liabilities. Employees went from being viewed as assets to expenses, which is a shame because the talent and knowledge of the original employees (pouring one out for you, Billy & Rob) is what got Fabspeed on the map from the get-go. As a result, the passion, the culture, and the fire that Fabspeed was founded on was killed, and the employees (including myself) who got to experience the worst of the transition phase from dream job to financial institution bailed or were fired.

I'm sure plenty of people would argue that such is life, and at the end of the day the company exists to make money, and they wouldn't be wrong, but what made Fabspeed a good company from the start is no longer part of their core values. They don't give a fuck about you.

Disclaimer: all of the above is opinion, and should not be taken as fact.

Last edited by Dambro61; 11-09-2018 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #16
Estoril6rod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i X-Drive

I have the catted downpipe (200cell) for my M235i paired with a Dinan axle-back. Glorious. I've had the DP since January of 2016 and the car has gone from stock tuning to AA piggyback to back to stock and now a BM3 stage 2.. no CEL, ever. The BM3 may finally do the trick in terms of triggering the cat CEL but I toned the burbles to OEM just in case haha

So sad to find out about Fabspeed's current situation... If I were a first time buyer and wanted/needed a catted DP I'd probably buy the Euro 6 300cel DP, it's not made by them rather by HJS, Fabspeed just sell it. Honestly I doubt you'll be able to quantify the loss of a 300 cell vs a 200, but you know you'll be bolting on a very high quality product.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #17
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 // BMW F22 M235i

I have whole Fabspeed system on mine. Installed Fabspeed full midpipe (fits directly on bypass system) and Fabspeed bypass exhaust system + Fabspeed carbon exhaust tips about 5 months ago. It was build to order and took about 4+ weeks to arrive. I pulled the trigger after wanting this setup for a few years because they had a free shipping deal + member deal over summer. Saved $500 from that. I'm running it with a JB+ tune 100%. I drive hard at times and like to get tail happy.

I went from completely stock OEM to this Fabspeed setup. It sounds amazing and I get comments about it. Start up is loud initially but quiets down when the engine is warm. In eco mode it drives like a regular BMW and isn't too loud, with minimal drone. Sport mode at 2.5k, drone is there but tolerable as I like to listen to Radio news. Sport and Sport+ it now backfires, pops and gargles a lot! It's louder then the M6...I love downshifting on the M235. I would not get DPs with this set up I have as that would be way too loud.

Build quality is top notch product. I examined everything before taking to a shop for install. Good quality welds. No issues with it at all.

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.

Last edited by Nutballa; 11-10-2018 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 0