THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Need advice: MPE or Remus ?

08-04-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
maxi235
Rep
Drives: m235i xdrive

Need advice: MPE or Remus ?

Hi!

Before buying m235i I test drove an m2 and that exhaust was great in sport/traction mode, but at the top personal noise limit in comfort mode. M235 is perfect in comfort mode (I really like silence sometimes), but not so raspy in sport mode. It feels a bit suffocated. And that is a thing I would really like to change!

First of all, I'm from Europe so any modifications I do must comply with regulations. I don't want exhaust sound to be noticeably louder than m2 in sport mode.
I read that MPE on m235 is actually the same as stock m2 but also that as a driver in sport mode with closed windows I shouldn't notice a difference (stock vs MPE). So I'm basically afraid that I will spend money just for the spectators outside. Can anyone give any comments?
Nonetheless, hearing revs in standstill is a poetry.

The other option would be Remus exhaust. I really like the sound of it on video. I think it's louder than MPE which might be the problem if it's too loud in comfort mode. I also don't know if I should go for the midpipe or just the muffler? Does the midpipe really make a 650€ difference after the 980€ muffler? Will m performance diffuser fit if I'd like to add it at later date?

Oh, I got an offer for MPE (chrome tips) for 1160€.

I hope this are not repeating questions.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 04:08 AM   #2
beMtroubleYou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C '18

Garage List
2018 M2C  [0.00]
Save your money and just delete the resonator. If thats not enought go catless downpipe and keep the stock muffler. Nothing beets it in silence.

There is nothing that comes close to in in comfortmode. And if you want some crispier sound and pops go for something else then MPE/Remus as they are too quiet.

The Milltek sounds gr8, but the sound is overall louder.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 08:10 AM   #3
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

A cat delete isn't going to fly in most places.

If the regulations are stricter where you are, I would choose the MPE as you can always point at the BMW badge on it if they ever argue anything. I changed mine to the MPE and am more than happy. It's nice and quiet when cruising but sounds nice and loud enough with the windows down.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
maxi235
Rep

Deleting resonator or cat aren't an option since that won't comply with regulations. Maybe HJS (ECE approved) downpipe is but that costs 1.3k€ and at this point of ownership I'd rather spend that money on fuel than just on cat https://burkhart-engineering.com/54363
I will do some research on Milltek, thanks. I heard that it is not so expensive and louder but I need to figure out what's comfort mode like.

Yes! I was thinking the same about MPE. And with that I'm sure there is no drone, cold starts aren't brutal (don't want to upset neighbours at midnight or 5AM) and with windows up there shouldn't be unwanted noise in comfort. The biggest problem I have with it is cutting stock exhaust. I am also not so sure about the price although I got 15% discount. But BMW badge on any car part was never cheap.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 11:22 PM   #5
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

The MPE makes glorious sounds. Period. I've had mine for over two years (no other exhaust mods) and never tire of it. I'm extremely picky about mods and wasted lots of money on exhausts on prior cars that were raspy or droned.

The MPE does not drone at all. It has quite a bit more overrun pops than stock, especially if you have a 6mt. The sound is so linear and fluid. It has a slightly exotic warble and has a rather deep sound. No rasp and no drone. Better yet, it's OEM and fits perfectly. With the windows down, it sounds amazing and friends constantly say how good it sounds. With the windows up, it is far from loud. I'd say maybe 10% louder than stock. With then windows down, more like 20% and it's all you want to hear.

DO NOT remove the resonator as a cheap way out. You'll regret it as it will introduce some rasp and odd exhaust noises. The resonator is there to quell certain, ugly sounds.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 07:38 AM   #6
maxi235
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
The MPE makes glorious sounds. Period. I've had mine for over two years (no other exhaust mods) and never tire of it. I'm extremely picky about mods and wasted lots of money on exhausts on prior cars that were raspy or droned.

The MPE does not drone at all. It has quite a bit more overrun pops than stock, especially if you have a 6mt. The sound is so linear and fluid. It has a slightly exotic warble and has a rather deep sound. No rasp and no drone. Better yet, it's OEM and fits perfectly. With the windows down, it sounds amazing and friends constantly say how good it sounds. With the windows up, it is far from loud. I'd say maybe 10% louder than stock. With then windows down, more like 20% and it's all you want to hear.

DO NOT remove the resonator as a cheap way out. You'll regret it as it will introduce some rasp and odd exhaust noises. The resonator is there to quell certain, ugly sounds.
Thank you! This reply helped me.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 04:58 AM   #7
beMtroubleYou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C '18

Garage List
2018 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post

Thats all good. I am happy for you.

But removing resonator is the best way to get more sound in higher RPM where you need it and still keep quiet in cruise speeds. And thats how this car should sound if regulators didnt have dB limits. The "odd" exaust note you describe I havnt heard, neither have anyone else in meets. Each to their own I guess.

And it was just in for service and the guys at BMW where sure I had MPE, they even asked twice if I am sure it wasnt MPE.

This was taken last night(VIMEO LINK):

Edit2: I am not allowed to post Vimeo links?

Last edited by beMtroubleYou; 08-11-2018 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: There should be a video
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 08:40 AM   #8
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

I have the Dinan exhaust on M235IX and it sounds great and no droning.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 03:33 AM   #9
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Best of both perhaps ? - I paired remus midpipe to MPE on my M135i.

BB thread link below - https://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=68909

Perfect fitment and sounded great - a couple YT clips of my car - 200cpi DP + remus m/pipe + MPE